Author Topic: Smart Pie 4 - error 9 Comunication Failure  (Read 10444 times)

Offline Martins108

• Confirmed
Smart Pie 4 - error 9 Comunication Failure
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:06:52 PM »
Hello,
Recently I purchased Smart Pie 4 and after connecting I took my first test ride - all was working as expected.
But today when I switched on battery I got error 9 on the display than means Comunication Failure and battery indicator or screens shows only one segment that is flashing. See error description here:
http://www.devi-comfort.com/motion-uploads/LCD_Display_manualpdf.pdf

So if I use throttle then bike is not reacting.
During test ride I also got error "3 Hal Failure or Phase", but it disappeared once I released throttle and then used it again.

I checked connections and all seems ok. I don’t have padal-asist sensor connected, but wire for that is properly sealed so there is no short circuit. Screen is working but if I pedal then it does not show speed. Also on throttle all three led lights are on so battery is charged.

Then I turned battery off (its still connected via wires) and started to pedal and reaching ~ 10km/h screen started to flicker and above 10km/h screen started to work as if battery would be turned on. So this means that motor is producing power and feeding screen. Is that correct!?

Have anyone experienced similar issue and do you have any ideas which of all connections could cause this problem?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Smart Pie 4 - error 9 Comunication Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
I have actually experienced the same error 9 problem that you describe, but in my case it only occurred while I was testing the operation of the brake lever switch with full throttle applied! :o

And once, I connected my battery (accompanied by the usual big spark) and I received an error 8 code and the throttle would not work at all.

In both of the above cases, momentarily turning the battery off and back on again cured the problem! ;)

The intermittent error 3 can sometimes occur if the hall sensor connector (or one of its contact pins) is not properly clipped in place.

Then I turned battery off (its still connected via wires) and started to pedal and reaching ~ 10km/h screen started to flicker and above 10km/h screen started to work as if battery would be turned on. So this means that motor is producing power and feeding screen. Is that correct!?

Yes, the motor will work as a generator, at higher speeds it will produce enough voltage/current to run the smart display and also light up the LEDs on the throttle unit. On my original Smart Pie, the generated voltage would also allow electrodynamic braking force to be activated by the controller when the brakes were applied at speed with the battery disconnected, but I haven't tried this with a vector controller. :)

If you experience a problem when the power is initially turned on, switch it off for a couple of seconds and then turn it back on again and see if it clears the fault.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:12:06 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Martins108

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:45:25 AM »
Thank you for quick response.
So yesterday I left my bike at work garage for whole day (inside garage its ~ + 15 Celsius)
Then after work in the evening I tried to turn on my bike and for the one second I got error 9 but then it disappeared and I was able to go from work back to home 9 (I drive ~ 10 km without any issues even error code 3 did not appeared on screen).
Then I left bike for the night in garage (outside was -13 Celsius), but battery I removed and kept in apartment where is + 22 Celsius.
In the morning when outside was around -10 Celsius I connected battery and turned it on. For some 10 seconds on screen I saw that periodically error code 9 appears and then disappears, but after 10 seconds code 9 did not disappear at all and throttle was not reacting. I tried to turn off/on battery several times, but error code 9 still appeared when battery was turned on so today I did not used bike.
In the evening I will try to start bike again, but at the moment it’s not clear what could cause this issue.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:35:54 AM »
If the fault is still there this evening, switch the battery off and unplug the display unit to see if it makes any difference.
If the motor runs properly with the display unplugged, switch off the battery and plug the display back in and then switch the battery back on again.

If the motor works properly each time the display is disconnected (but not when the display is plugged in) there must be a fault within either the display unit or its wiring/connector.

If the controller still won't work with the display unit disconnected, the problem is likely to be either within the controller itself or somewhere within the motor wiring harness.

It is also worth checking all wiring and connectors to ensure everything is properly connected and also to check that none of the wiring has been damaged by either chaffing against (or being trapped by) any of the moving parts such as wheels, tyres, pedals, chain, steering and suspension etc..

I would also suggest thoroughly checking the four unused wires on the short unterminated cable coming from the motor harness (shown in the lower right corner of the diagram below), if the insulation on the individual wires has shrunk in the extreme temperatures the copper wires can touch against each other causing a short circuit.

If the Red +5v wire is touching the Black ground wire it might explain the communication error and this would also prevent the throttle from working.  ;)

I also recommend that you closely inspect the unused wires for the horn and headlamp as well to ensure nothing is likely to touch together and cause a short circuit there.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:04:48 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
I have allready checked this. The cable for lights etc. was split ut last time I tried to program it. So no short circuit.

On the way to the post office now, 1 month down and 1 month up again. But I will insist on a MP3 or even MP2 if they have it in stock.

The slow response time etc and programming difficulties makes no sense, but maybee they can make a new revision of the controller and software.

Meanwhile I will stick to MP3 as I know this acts pretty much as MP2. Think the only difference is higher torque, which could come in handy.

Now, when I get the MP3, will it act like MP2? Any known issues and trouble? Maybee a good idea to order spare parts? Like cable, controller? A month to wait for spare parts is anoying, better to stack up...

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
Okay... off to the Norwegian post office. Paid USD 150 for postage... MP4 was heavy to send, weight was 12.5kg.

Have stated that I want to replace it with MP3 or MP2 rear.
Hopefully half price up again, hope I don't have to pay postage back since the MP3 is cheaper?

I have asked GM to program the current down to 20A from the battery like my MP2 is programmed.
If not I have to try myself. Meanwhile I will study the MP3 wiring and programming.

But I believe the MP3 is well tested and proven product?
Soon there will be a buzzing sound from behind and wind in my hair?

Well well, never give up. For anyone involved in this stuff, I recommend you have TWO bicycles, so you have a backup plan.
Also, using an old bike is a good idea. Functionality before beauty  8)

Now 8 weeks to wait before my new motor arrives  :'(

Offline Martins108

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:09:47 PM »
So I tried to start my bike again and no luck – I got error 9.
Then I disconnected display and started bike – same result
I also disconnected break levers one by one but no results
I checked both wires that where cut of (for pedalasist, etc.) and resealed them again to ensure that there is no short circuit – no result
I reconnected one more time all connections – no result
So for me it seems that issue could be inside wires or within controller that is within motor.
Does anyone know if there is possibility to debug error by connecting motor to computer?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »
You need to contact your supplier as it sounds like you are going to need a replacement controller. :(

Check out Gary's video showing how to change a controller for more details on what is involved.

I don't think you will be able to repair the controller fault with the programming software, but if you have the USB lead you can try reloading the default settings and see if it makes a difference.

Alan

Offline Martins108

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:58 AM »
Yesterday I reloaded factory default and then tried to start Smart Pie, first I got over voltage error (its due to default 42V setting) so I tried to reconnect controller via usb but fora while I did not succeeded – not happy

While I was searching for tips how to properly connect controller it suddenly started to work – happy

I set proper voltage and reduced acceleration to 60% (so that it does not spin on snowy road). Then I performed test drive for some 30 minutes and all was working – very happy

And now in the morning I reconnected battery and guess what, my favorite error 9 was back. I went after usb cable and PC to reset controller one more time – not happy

But when I was back, error 9 has disappeared – happy

Then I went to work but after first kilometer error 9 come back – not happy

So not sure what causes issue but I already contacted supplier couple of time but for now I have not got any feedback. Will try to call them today and see what they will answer.

Offline Martins108

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
I wanted to share my experience with devi-motion (company from which I ordered kit)
It took a while to squeeze out any reasonable answer from them. There is no purpose to write them emails, only periodically calling, otherwise you will not get any answer (even if person promised to respond)

In the end (it took 3 weeks for them to answer) they suggest to return package and of course I should pay for shipping to them and after they will fix I should also pay shipping to get fixed kit back.

Now I am thinking is it worth to send package back at all - just as well they will send my another broken kit and I will spend more $ for shipping it back and forth  :)

My suggestion to others is to choose another dealer in EU that offers golden motor production. Devi Motion/Devi Comfort definitely will not be the best partner.

Offline Martins108

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
Today is a lucky day, finally I agreed with Devi-motion that they will cover return expenses.
As Dinoziv said in his post here http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4943.msg29102#msg29102 you need to be persistent.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
It's good to hear that DeVi-motion have agreed to do the right thing, it's just a shame that they did not offer to do it in the first place.  ::)

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »
When I read things like this I wonder why these things even need to be disscussed. All dealers should have a clearly written policy that describes who is responsible for what. At any time something like this happens it would be "Please refer to our policy".

Gary