Author Topic: GM Cruise controller for my trike  (Read 11398 times)

Offline oldbiker

• Confirmed
GM Cruise controller for my trike
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:30:17 AM »
Hi guys,
I have a trike with a 36V 700W Brushless hub motor. I recently blew out my controller with a LiFePO4 36V 20AH battery; it had been driven with SLA 36V 12AH batteries. I lost power, and a loud hum came from the motor.
I would like to know if I can connect to a GM Cruise controller, and what changes I would have to make in order to run at 36V, and which controller would be best.
Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: GM Cruise controller for my trike
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »

Hi andto the forum.

Assuming the motor is still OK, the BAC281P controller should be ideal, but you will probably need to change the connectors on your existing wiring to fit it.

For more information take a look at the wiring diagram and the user guide.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:11:18 PM by Bikemad »

Offline oldbiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the info.
From what I have read in this forum there seems to be some problems with the USB connection being recognized or a problem with the driver. Has this problem been resolved? What point is there in buying a programmable controller if you can’t program it?
Do you have a pic or a link to the types of connectors required?

Offline oldbiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:51:04 AM »
Perhaps a better question on the connectors might be; does GM include/supply the connectors for the controller with their mates?
I can rig some sort of connections but to have the proper connectors to start with would make the task much easier.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 01:55:39 AM »
Yes, I received the correct wiring harness with the magic
controller when I upgraded from the earlier version.

It does not (or at least mine did not) come with the
connectors for the horn and aux stuff on
the right hand side above the hall sensor plug.

Offline oldbiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 03:16:27 AM »
Hi, I sincerely wanted to purchase the BAC281P, and PI-0200E, but to pay $15.00 for shipping a set of wires is ridiculous. I think GM is milking this cow a bit too much. The wires could be shipped in an envelope along with the controller at no extra cost or maybe a buck or two.
I guess I’ll look elsewhere for a controller where the manufacturer doesn’t try to bilk me.
If anyone at GM has something to say that disputes this I am open for discussion.
Regards,

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:22 AM »
Hi, I sincerely wanted to purchase the BAC281P, and PI-0200E, but to pay $15.00 for shipping a set of wires is ridiculous. I think GM is milking this cow a bit too much. The wires could be shipped in an envelope along with the controller at no extra cost or maybe a buck or two.
I guess I’ll look elsewhere for a controller where the manufacturer doesn’t try to bilk me.
If anyone at GM has something to say that disputes this I am open for discussion.
Regards,

I agree.  But I wouldn't scratch my ass for $15 little only work sending out a wire for $5`7 dollars a pop, what a life!

The price is interned for people who want to buy a wire only.

GM also do not charge full price of delivery and absorb some of this expense themselves.  At the end of the day you get cheap motor and if you want to play it costs you a little extra.

I think some of these suggestions would be better provided to the sales rep.  A good email and you can find some extras chucked in the box minus the cost shipping.

Packing, checking and double checking would be arduous.  The software for that cable costs money to make too.  PC software often is expected for free.

Maybe consider the software development that surrounds this wire when you consider the full price of the wire.

They should price things accordingly though. Maybe GM are trying to make something that looks cheap ( a small wire) cost effective.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:29:40 AM »
If they were to sell the software separate and charge $10 for the cable delivered, people would share the software and the whole development of the USB cable software interface would only be supported by the profits from the sales of a $5 cable - delivery.

I would support such price hikes while development is highly active.

Bring it on

Offline oldbiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 04:45:55 AM »
Whatever their logic is it makes little sense to me. They give away the software, and then try to abuse their customers with a high price when one buys the controller, and wire set to operate their device.
If they want to sell their software then do so, but charge people a decent price on shipping parts.
Don’t approach me with free software, and make some insane price on the material to use it. They are making enough money on the controller to include the wire set at a fair price.
If they would rather lose the sale on the controller, for the price of shipping the wires that’s their problem. I wished to buy the package.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:37 AM »
Whatever their logic is it makes little sense to me. They give away the software, and then try to abuse their customers with a high price when one buys the controller, and wire set to operate their device.
If they want to sell their software then do so, but charge people a decent price on shipping parts.
Don’t approach me with free software, and make some insane price on the material to use it. They are making enough money on the controller to include the wire set at a fair price.
If they would rather lose the sale on the controller, for the price of shipping the wires that’s their problem. I wished to buy the package.

Ok ok ok I get it, but no one would buy the software and the cable's worth a dime.  That makes a 20c to make cable worth, what, $48, no matter how you price it, it looks expensive.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
Regards,

This is such a huge misconception about GM and the profits on individual items. The average customer sees all companies as an entity that’s making a huge profit and ripping them off to do it. For one thing the profits on all the GM products are allot less then the average person would imagine. Have you compared GM’s prices with the competitor’s equivalent items? As a dealer, after paying all the expenses taxes duties etc, If a profit is still actually made on an individual item, it is very slight. The controller you are referring to the profit is smaller then most other items. Somewhere around 10 dollars I believe. Now if I was to sell this item to someone in Canada I have to also pay the 13 percent tax on top of the sale price or I would have to charge 13 percent more then GM China sells it for. Why would anyone then by from me? So think about that, 10 dollars profit minus 8.45 (13 percent of 65 dollars) leaving a whooping profit of $1.45. The item then has to be picked from stock, then packaged (packaging cost money), then labelled (ink and paper) and in my case driven to the post office (time and fuel). So what is my profit at now? This is why I charge the same shipping as GM china as well, I have to have the items shipped to me then to the customer in many cases it actually costs more. Of course with sea shipping, the shipment cost is lower, but a huge investment is laid out and months go by waiting for stock then you have to pay duties taxes handing fees customs charges etc. You have to have space to store the product as well. Also there are website costs, accounting expenses internet access. Equipment, my own time, etc, Then if you make a profit you have to pay tax on that! The list is long and I’m sure that I’m forgetting many things as I'm writing this on the fly.

The only way you ever make any profit is when a customer buys multiple item, then 5 dollars on this item 10 dollars on that all adds up.

So when you say “they are making enough profit on the controller” I think you are mistaken.

Now of course this is the view of a Dealer, not the manufacturer. However I  would think they have expenses to. Certainly a lot more then I do. I wonder what the Research and development was to develop the controller and the USB link? So on a single item like a controller I would think the profit is next to nothing, some profit if you buy a second item, If you buy a whole kit then its worth being in business.

Anyway I hope not to offend you but simply explain why shipping on some items may seem unreasonable. I think it’s because they are actually trying to make a profit. I charge the same cost and shipping as GM china does as I’m also trying to make a profit. I have been in several businesses in my time and the profit margin in this one is less then most. But this one has huge potential and is of personal interest to me so I stick with it. I think most GM dealers think they are going to make a lot of money at the beginning, But after time the ones that stick with it do so because they believe in and enjoy the product.

Another perfect example would be something most of us use everyday ‘Microsoft Windows” xp, vista, seven whatever. I wonder what it actually costs to burn a dvd with windows seven on it. Would it be as much as a dollar? I doubt it. But what is the current cost to buy it? Do you think Microsoft could survive it they sold it for a dollar? 10 dollars? 50 dollars? 100 dollars? I think it probably needs to sell in the 200 dollar range for them to survive and they need to sell millions.

Enjoy the Ride!
Gary Salo
Golden Motor Canada

P.S. if you do look elsewhere and find another controller that is programmable by PC, Please do come back here and let us know about it, I’m sure we will all be interested.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:58:39 PM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »
Said well Gary!!

One detail:
Now if I was to sell this item to someone in Canada I have t tax on top of the sale price or I would have to charge 13 percent...

Here in Brazil we have 60% of taxes (and this covers the product+shipment+other import fees), so most of my base prices are higher than the sugested sales proces from GM, and then we have more taxes in the profit.

We use to say that we have 1• world taxes and 3• public services lol

Just an off topic comment

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:25:54 AM »

Said well Gary!!

Thanks for that, I had to re-edit that one a few times. Everytime I read it I sound angry. Im not. I'm just trying to explain the realities of the business we are in. I hope the "oldbiker" does not take offence  ;D

60 percent taxes WOW!

Gary
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:56:15 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
You don't even want to know my opinion on this matter.
(just a little hint...  I purchased from a US distributor and quickly following my purchase, they apparently don't sell anymore from their website, nor respond to any emails regarding help needed.)

I think dealing with the Manu. directly, helps with returns and issues and questions.
That's just my .02

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »
You don't even want to know my opinion on this matter.
(just a little hint...  I purchased from a US distributor and quickly following my purchase, they apparently don't sell anymore from their website, nor respond to any emails regarding help needed.)

I think dealing with the Manu. directly, helps with returns and issues and questions.
That's just my .02

Unfortunately, It would seem every dealer has its own level of support offered. I think you would find anyone that has dealt with me or my website has had all of their email answered in a prompt and courteous manor and any warranty issues have had the highest level of support and follow up.

Gary