Author Topic: HPC 300 motor controller not reading proper voltage  (Read 6227 times)

Offline krilson

• Confirmed
HPC 300 motor controller not reading proper voltage
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:31:07 AM »
Hi
I'm new and this is my first question.
I bought a controller the HPC 300 and hooked up the phase wires and made all the other connections. B+ hooked to 40volt supply. B+ to B- checks good at 40 volts. No LEDs except a slight flicker of red deep inside.

No voltage at halls, no LEDs so I start checking. No five volts (checks 2.4v) at pin 14 for halls and no voltage at all at pin 11.

Side of controller became very hot, hot enough to deform case, so I pulled the contactor.

Question; are the IGIT power modules a problem in this controller? It behave as though one phase was on at max current yet there was no current in the coils. 3 phase motor, Y connected

Did not blow 30 amp fuse. This controller is new and has not been used. If I open it up, is this the end of warranty service?
Thanks
Krilson

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: HPC 300 motor controller not reading proper voltage
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:57 AM »
Hi Krilson andto the forum.

I suggest you take a look at this post regarding the problem with your controller.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:48:18 PM by Bikemad »

Offline krilson

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »
Alan
Thanks, now I have two wiring diagrams with pin outs that don't agree. Obviously, the manual available at goldenmotor.com is wrong. I was wondering why the AMP connector sent with the controller did not match the wiring diagram in the manual. I'll try it again but I'm afraid the device is toast. The hall effect sensors (Allegro 14L latches) are all blank with pull up resistors showing definite signs of over voltage, that is, a black coating and lowered resistance.
The motor runs well on the Kelly controller, a Synkromotive and a Applimotion controller.
If this thing does not work as promised, does Golden Motor take responsibility for their poor documentation?
thanks
Krilson

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »
Hi Krilson,

Send an email to tom@goldenmotor.com if you still have a problem with the controller, but try and keep it simple as his English is not too good.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:48:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline krilson

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 01:49:01 AM »
Alan
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I sent Tom an email message this morning. I'm not sure what your connection is with GM but maybe you can tell me something about warranty service.
I'm building a trike for a customer who is expecting it to be finished yesterday. Today, I had to tell him that not only did the controller burn up but his motor was no longer working due to burned up hall effect sensors. I told him I would disassemble his motor and replace the sensors but I'm not sure about the controller. He wasn't buying the story about wiring the thing to the wrong wiring diagram.
Can you tell me how GM is as far as making good on this?
Thanks much
Krilson

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »

Hi Krilson, I don't have any connection with GM, apart from moderating and helping out on the forum.

GM China don't appear to have "dealing with warranty related faults" very high on their list of priorities, unlike Gary (GM Canada) who does, and he always tries his best to get warranty related problems sorted as quickly as possible, but I'm guessing the controller and motor were both purchased directly from GM China, in which case you will need to deal with them direct.

Unfortunately you will have to wait and see what GM's response is, but if you are unable to get any response from GM China, perhaps Gary could try and contact them on your behalf.

Alan