Author Topic: Problems programming MP4  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Nathan

• Confirmed
Problems programming MP4
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:14:06 AM »
Hey there,

Recently I purchased an GoldenMotor MP4 and was trying to program the cruise control. When I searched for instructions on site, I found none, and when I went to youtube and the forums I found the instructions to download software open said software, connect usb wait for timeout and then turn on battery. I tried to follow these instructions and when I connect the usb and try to connect through the software, while the battery is off, I get a 'data packet is too long error', Then when switched on while still plugged in I get the timeout error. Also the computer shows a generic error on bottom right of the screen and even after 2 hours of charging, computer shows lowest battery level (flashing).  Need help.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:17:34 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problems programming MP4
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »
Hi Nathan andto the forum.

If my telepathy is working correctly I suspect that your MP4 controller is set to 48V, but the battery you are using is only 36V (or possibly 24V), and you cannot reprogram the controller to the correct voltage because you have the wrong USB lead.

The MP4 controller requires the latest USB lead with the 5 pin connector:

And I suspect that you may have the earlier MPIII programming lead with the 10 pin connector:

The incorrect voltage setting causes the error "4" message to be displayed on the BAC-601 Smart LCD Display, which is what I presume you are referring to as "the computer".
The incorrect voltage setting also causes the single battery bar to flash because the display unit associates the lower than expected battery voltage with a 48V battery that is completely empty.

If my suspicions are wrong regarding the USB lead (and you do have the correct lead with a 5 pin plug) I suggest that you read this post and then check that the "USB_SERIAL CH340" device is showing correctly in the device manager and that a COM port has actually been assigned to it.

Unfortunately I am not able to use my telepathy to determine whether all three battery monitor LEDs were lit up on your throttle unit, so it might be worth checking this to make sure the battery is showing full.

Please let us know whether or not my suspicions are correct.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:12:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Nathan

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »
Hi, I actually have the 5 pin adapter not the older one for MP3, this based on the images you have attached and also from what I have read in other posts. 

Another question, how do I find the serial number of the controller (needed to confirm with GM if it is compatible with PAS).

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »
The serial number is on a sticker attached to the controller:

Unfortunately it is located inside the cooling fan assembly and it may not be possible to read without removing the fan casting:

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:11:26 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Nathan

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 10:42:36 PM »
Thanks for serial number answer, as to the other issue, here is a more thorough summary:

Just purchased and installed a new 48v MP4 on my handcycle.  With defualt settings it works, however I am having issues connecting via Vector software.  I am not sure if all the issues are related or not but I will list all I can and hope you can help.

48V MP4 Rear Drive (Version 5.3)
- no lights installed
- no PAS installed

Error on Computer
- 'error' showing on the computer but no detail

Battery Level Inaccurate
- after 2 hours of charging, battery shows still at lowest level

Vector Connection Issues
- upon starting and attempting to connect 'data packet length error' pops up
- upon turning on battery and again attempting to connect 'timeout error' pops up

Obviously the system is still on factory settings as I have not been able to connect.  I am able to drive the system, it seems to work ok except the wheel does not spin much, in freewheel mode.  I am not sure if that is normal or not.  I don't know how to gauge whether the regen braking is working or not, so any insight there would be helpful. 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 01:00:51 AM »
I am having issues connecting via Vector software.

Vector Connection Issues
- upon starting and attempting to connect 'data packet length error' pops up
- upon turning on battery and again attempting to connect 'timeout error' pops up

I suggest that you read this post and then check that the "USB_SERIAL CH340" device is showing correctly in the device manager and that a COM port has actually been assigned to it.

So, is the "USB_SERIAL CH340" device showing correctly in the device manager and has a COM port actually been assigned to it?

Battery Level Inaccurate
- after 2 hours of charging, battery shows still at lowest level

If your charger has a switch to select the correct input voltage, make sure it is in the correct position to suit your mains voltage, as I'm in the UK, mine is set to 220V:

If you have a 110V mains supply and the charger is set to 220V (like the one above) your battery will need to be recharged with the voltage selector switch in the correct position.
You can use the tip of a pen or a cocktail stick etc. to slide the switch to the correct position  ;)

I am able to drive the system, it seems to work ok except the wheel does not spin much, in freewheel mode.  I am not sure if that is normal or not.  I don't know how to gauge whether the regen braking is working or not, so any insight there would be helpful. 

There is a fair amount of residual drag from the magnets on the Magic Pie so they do not spin freely. The regen on the MP4 does not cut in until you are travelling at over 6 mph and the braking force should be obvious when you pull the brake lever slightly.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:13:59 PM by Bikemad »