Author Topic: Magic Pie III dead after 37 miles.  (Read 15552 times)

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Magic Pie III dead after 37 miles.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 12:29:18 AM »
Hello.

I have taken my controller out and there was a build up of white kinda flaky crystal type stuff. In my short clip you can see  it on the inside of the controller cover. There was lots of flakes loose in the controller housing.

Wondering if anyone has seen this before. First thought was salt, but the roads have not even been gritted locally this winter and the MP has only covered 37 miles. Not even on a wet day.

I've put a wee clip here. If anyone has any ideas????

Gregor.

http://youtu.be/B1FrxY9wzpo

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:07:11 PM by Gregor »
having no practical effect or useful result is futile

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
Hi Gregor,

If the video file is too large to attach to your post you will need to upload it to YouTube or Photobucket etc. and then post the link here.

Alan

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:46:29 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »
Hooray.

Fitted my new controller, received from Gary at GM Canada under warranty, now up and running sweet.

A big big thank you from me to Gary, he had the controller at my door in four days from posting it. Excellent.

Cheers Gary.

Thank you to all who helped with this post.

Still wondering about the white stuff?

A happy Gregor ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:41:12 PM by Gregor »

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
I can now get some pictures of the bike put up.

Gregor 8)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »
Glad to hear it...

The white stuff I believe is from one of the capacitors popping.

Gary

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »
OK right. Thanks Gary.

Gregor.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:39 PM »
The white stuff I believe is from one of the capacitors popping.

When my capacitors popped they spat out lots of little fibres, no white stuff whatsoever.

I've just had a good look at the video and the "white stuff" appears to be corrosion probably caused by water in the controller housing. Aluminium can oxidise very quickly when exposed to moisture.

Click on the above picture for more details.

I would say that water has caused the oxidation and probably caused the failure of the controller as well.

I strongly suggest against using a hosepipe or jetwash to clean off your bike anywhere near the motor as it will find its way into the controller housing!  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:07:08 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
it does look like that water has entered the motor. the axle inside the motor looks quite rusty considering such minimum use.   I was wondering if the white stuff could be the white goo used to hold the capacitors in place but seeing that it is on the motor housing near the cover seal trhen it must be oxidisation. when rebuilding the the motor it maybe worth placing some sealant around the hub cover edge before screwing back on.  If the water has entered via the cable/axle then try taping up the area with self amalgamating rubber tape, it is really good stuff.  Just a thought...... ???

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
Hello all.

This is my rockhopper. I'm a very happy bunny. I used the smaller of the right angle brackets from flower tub holders to fix my battery into my triangle. Did not even have to drill them. Just seven holes in the battery mount plate. It is solid. I found having the battery on the seatpost rack was too heavy. It made the front end too light and skitterish. Feels so much better balanced where it is now.

Again thanks to all of you for your invaluable assistance. Big up to Gary S.

Fanks.

Gregor :D

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:39:22 PM by Gregor »

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
Bonny Scotland.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:53:47 PM by Gregor »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:33 AM »
That's fanastic, the ride will be so much beter now, there's no looking back! I would type more but I don't have the time. maybe later.... ;D

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 05:53:27 AM »
more drama. I'll add some more soon. With pictures.

sorry, I meant scary drama.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:00:23 AM by Gregor »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:27 AM »
blumming 'ell mate. what now?

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
Andrew, after the rebuild I took it out to go to my brothers to show him. I got about a quarter of a mile from my house. Just pootling along at about ten mph on a very dark compacted gravel path with lights on. It was 8.00pm'ish. The beast just got possessed by something very evil. It just went to full power and flippin blasted off and because there was dog walkers coming towards me I had to act quick. They were about 20 yards away. I hit the brakes as hard as I could and jumped off hoping to grab the back of my saddle and lift the beast off the deck. Did I manage? No chance because I had to let the back brake go the beast just snarled and reared up on the back wheel, flipped and took me down with it. It then went totally mental and spun on the grass at the edge of the path, digging big divots out of the ground. I managed to wrestle it and flipped it up on to the saddle and the handle bars. I could then get to the key and cut the power, oh I didn't mention that I had no kill switch, I have now.(see pics.)
Anyway the upshot of this episode is when the beast hit the deck  because the cable you get on the throttle is so short, the throttle spun on the bars and the cable pulled on the plug on the cable harness and snapped it. (see pics.) The wee plastic bit is still inside the throttle cable and thank the stars, all five of the pins are intact. If I can get the plug to go together it should work fine. I will use araldite to join it. The thing is, my wiring of the new controller, all the new flag crimps I put on were done by my friend, John, who is a cabling engineer. We were meticulous in our efforts so I have no idea why the beast went mental and went to full power. When we built it and turned it on and throttled it upside down it was fine. It was a totally dry night so it was not water getting to anything. I'm baffled. Just hoping I can get the broken plug back together. If not I shall just have to hard wire it. So my question for you is, could you point me to where I might find diagrams to tell me which wires in the harness do what? Sorry this is so long winded but there you go .

Any advice will be noted and acted upon.

fanks, Gregor.

P.S. When I pull on the GM brake lever, because there is no cable connected, the wee catch where the cable end fits into it drops down and prevents the lever going back in if let go so I can just pull it and let go to hit my front brake. A bonus.(see bottom pic.)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:26:39 PM by Gregor »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 11:05:19 PM »
you have clark disc brakes why are you bothering with ebike levers. get rid of them. make the bike as simple as possible.  throttle, controller and motor is all you need.   I have no experience with the Pie 3 where everything is internalised which makes everything more difficult to fix when broken.

If you need a new throttle I may have a spare, but it is for Pie mk2.   

I do not know for sure why the motor would go wild like that.  Bikemad may be able to find you a diagram.