Author Topic: Full speed, cruisecontroll not in...  (Read 5655 times)

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Full speed, cruisecontroll not in...
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »
Just got my bike back from el-fixing. Worked fine for a couple of days. Now new problem :-\ . Iff I remember correctly... Sometimes when turning, it gives full speed(only when parking and turning, so it is the wires). Cruise controll not in, so not the throttle, right? Is it the ground-wire that is loose? or broken or something? Gave me quite a bit of scare. Is it the black groundwire creating this behavior? Was 3 times when I was turning it and I wasnt on the bike.. Took a 180 once... First time I thought I touched the throttle... Next two I now I didnt...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:59:06 PM by karen »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Full speed, cruisecontroll not in...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Yes sounds like there is some  problem in the wires, moving the bike steering.  Probably in the throttle cable like you have stated..

It could point to the coloured throttle signal wire and red wire becoming in contact with each other too.

If the cable has been stretched or pulled upon the wires may be almost gone inside the cable.

Bring it on

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:10:58 PM »
What wires is the most likely to have failed? Please advise?

Wondering to change the whole "harness"?. From the 8-pin... Think there has been a lot of wire-issues...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wiring fault
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 03:41:47 PM »
What wires is the most likely to have failed? Please advise?

Karen, I think you'll find your problem is being caused by either a poor connection or a break somewhere along the Black ground wire between the throttle control and the motor.

Lift the driven wheel off the ground and try turning the steering (or wiggling the throttle wires etc.) to try and pin down the exact cause.

Unfortunately, finding the exact cause of an intermittent wiring fault can sometimes be the most difficult part of the repair. ???

Alan

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »
Thx, Bikemad. As a computer tech, I know about the intermittent wiring... Today, a new thing happened... started the bike(turning the key) and it didnt "go off". Me happy - but nothing happened when I gave gas... However... when turning on the lights, battery-indicator went from full to empty... so... somewhere along the throttle-wires... Vacation in 2 days and the electrician should look at it while we where gone... So - just giving him some tips on where to look.... Might be less work changing the whole harness, but...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Faulty ground connection
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 01:09:52 AM »
Today, a new thing happened... started the bike(turning the key) and it didnt "go off". Me happy - but nothing happened when I gave gas.

Although this may appear to be a new and different problem, it is actually another symptom of your original problem.

If the ground connection is disconnected when you turned on the power, a higher than normal voltage will be present on the throttle signal wire. (The same high voltage that was intermittently causing the sudden motor operation during turning etc.)
This high voltage will cause a power safety function within the controller to operate, preventing any power from being sent to the motor until the signal voltage falls below ~1V again. (Which it cannot do with a broken or disconnected ground connection.)

This safety function is there to prevent the motor from starting should you accidentally turn on the power with the throttle activated.

Alan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:32 AM »
Important:

Get a new throttle with new cable.

If this doesnt work!

Its getting to the point you need to cut the plugs and hardwire it.

I do agree with Alan it seems its realted to the original problem.  Possibly trying to change the hight of the handle bars you may have pulled the wires broken inside the insulation causing it to be intermitant.

/your bike is a safety risk if you continue to ride without fixing these ongoing issues.

If you do hardwire your system be sure you cut the cables with the battery unpluged and leave enough wire on the ends so that you can test each wires continuity so you can match them to its corresponding wire on the end of the other plug.

Check your work, and recheck it, and recheck it again before you plug and switch the battery on again.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:21:05 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
Found two wireingfaults... one on black wire, it came off, and one I didnt quite understand.. a red and a blue wire supposed to be connected.... works fine tho.... but not finished fixing it yet. Back to work tomorrow :-\

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Got my bike back today; everything ok! I loved to finally ride again. Many small trips, one big one. Parked it. Few hours later, 3,5 degres Celsius, and the bike wet from humidity - turn key - no lights, three beeps... again....

Had to walk home... And my ISP is out again... so now surfing at my neighbours wireless...

Positive things: more excersise....

More work...

And I have already ordered a new wire harness... hoping it comes here soon....

Not so fun looking for these wireissues...

Is it possible to get thicker and maybe better wires for the MP?

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »
Karen, do you have a LiIon battery from GM? It might be worth it to open the rear-end of the battery and check for moisture on the BMS circuit board... :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Three beeps and no lights
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:34:07 AM »

Karen, I guess this wouldn't have worked if the battery was the problem, but did you try pressing the cruise button as per GM's instructions:

Quote from: GM
If the throttle does not work properly or failed in the middle of your way, the controller will report this error by 3 beeps of sound. You can drive your ebike at half speed by depress the cruise control button.
The controller will be back to normal mode automatically upon the problem is resolved.

To confirm Cornelius's suspicions, you could simply try one of your other batteries to see if it then works, but as the horn works, I would have expected the lights to come on as well.
If moisture on the BMS circuit board has stopped the battery from supplying current to the controller (No Lights), then I would not have expected the horn to work either.

Alan

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:03 PM »
It wouldn't hurt to check for moisture... ;) (One would break the warranty seal on the battery, but since Tom, in most cases, ask the customer to open the battery and measure cell-voltages etc. before accepting any warranty-returns, I think it's ok... )

Yesterday when I had trouble with water inside the battery, I opened the back-end and, with the power on, blew the moisture away from the circuit board, the lights suddenly came on. When I tried to apply speed, the power went off. This with a reasonably charged battery... Point is; a little moisture on the bms could - let's say 'shift' the cutout close to the limit... (Did that make sense? ;) )

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 05:27:29 PM »
Other batteries worked:) The next day... 48v battery doesnt however...:( Took it home and put in on charge... charged fine it looked like, but didnt work. Ill try to open it... but now... champions league qualifying...;) And the beeps not from the horn...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:32:12 PM by karen »