Author Topic: Silver and gold magic controller  (Read 9682 times)

Offline Sikulama

• Confirmed
    • e-pohony
Silver and gold magic controller
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
Hello all members!

My name is Martin from E-pohony Sikula s.r.o. (dealer from Czech Republic)
I would like to ask you if you know any difference between Magic controller in silver and gold case... I wanted to program these controllers via USB cable, but it is possible only with the gold one. Or do you have any experiences how to program silver Magic controller?

One more question: Speed scale setting option in PI-200 is for set the maximum bike speed?

Thank you very much!

Regards!

Martin

Offline PEDAL IN POWER OUT

• Confirmed
  • USA GOLDEN MOTOR DEALER
Re: Silver and gold magic controller
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
Greetings Martin!
Have you been able to program a controller?
Does the computer see the silver controller as a valid USB device?
You need to look at the status of the port first.
I am not aware of anyone posting who has been able to do this yet.
There must be someone outside the factory who knows how to do this.
No one is talking.
How did you get a gold controller? Tre' chic.

Offline Sikulama

• Confirmed
    • e-pohony
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Hi,

yes, I have been able to program the gold controller.
A computer doesn ´t see a controller, but only the cable interface. For this interface I didn´t need any drivers, everything was done automatically (WinXP SP2).
The gold controller I got in the latest delivery. No special order. I thought, that it was only design change, but silver controllent seems to be different....

Have a nice day!

Martin

Offline luisgouveia

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
Hello Guys,

I bought a grey controller (BAC-24V-50A) and I'm using it to control a MBG36R 250W motor. I'm supplying the motor with two 12V/7A acid batteries giving a total of 168W to a 250W motor. Now I want to add a third battery to reach the 250W.

I would like to ask the experts the following questions:

1) Can I supply a 24V controller (BAC-24V-50A) with 36V? I heard that only the golden controllers accept 24/36/48V. I was told that the grey ones are configured in the factory to a specific supply (24V in my case). I hope this isn't true because I don't want to buy a new controller.

2) Can I supply a MBG36R 250 W motor with 36V? When I bought it I asked for a 24 V motor. I was told that I can do this but I would like to have your approval before burning my motor.

3) I have a 20'' wheel bike butI guess that my motor is configured for a 26'' wheel because I get great torque climbing hills but only a 20 km/h top speed in the plain. How can I re-configure it? How should I configure it in the controller program? Can I use this program with the grey controller or is it only designed for the golden one?

Thanks very much, please let me know if you can help me in any of these issues.

Luís,
Portugal

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 05:24:34 AM »
Hello Luís!

1) I think so, not sure, but if I'm not wrong the only difference is the cut out voltage - if you use with 36v you will need to pay attention "manually" to not allow your battery drop below the minimal voltage, as the acid batteries does not have a BMS.

2) This motor have the code name of a 36v type.... But, I would wait for a sure OK, I just guessing that should be ok.

3) Maybe it is exactly why you do not get 25km/h, you are using 24v with a 36v motor, but the 7Ah battery could be limiting the current needed for the engine to have the full power that it is capable.

Offline luisgouveia

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:34 AM »
Obrigado Bruno (Thanks Bruno)

I keep on waiting for more information about the differences between the silver and gold magic controller and also about the voltage I can apply to this motor.

I hope that someone from the GM Staff can help me on these particular issues.

Thanks,
Luís Gouveia

Off Topic: Bruno, Portugal will beat Brasil in the World Cup! :)

Offline mrcarl

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »
Hi Martin,

I have a programmable 'silver' Magic controller and USB cable.  It certainly does allow me to change parameters and when I get the config (query the controller's settings) the settings stick
(according to the software).

Please see my two posts:

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2261.msg11911#msg11911

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2257.msg11913#msg11913

So as you would see from my two posts, I am experiencing certain issues but am learning a lot :)

Regards,

Carl

Edit
Duplicate link corrected.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:44:12 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
Hello there

I have both silver and gold programmable controllers and have had no problem programming either of them. I have read somewhere they need to have nothing else plugged into them to be able to program them. This is how I have done it with no issues.

Gary

Offline mrcarl

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »
Hi Gary,

Can I ask if you have ever reset the controller in to Phase calibration detection mode (step 8. in the Cruise controller manual). by utilizing the sequence in the manual or if you have been able to do it via the software?

In the software there is two choices for phase, 120 degrees (default GM) and 60 degrees.  This does not allow for an 'auto detect' so please correct me if I'm wrong but I can't use the software to enter that mode.

Therefore yes, I believe you don't need anything but a USB cable, controller, and software but you can't change every parameter or enter into any mode by only using the software.

Please let me know if you know otherwise.

Kind regards,

Carl
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:24:57 PM by mrcarl »

Offline Mossebon

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »
Hi Martin.
I can program my Silver Controller via USB, WinXP SP2. It connected instantly :).
And it was wrong programmed from GM, 24V in a 36V-kit

Offline mrcarl

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 12:34:26 AM »
Hi Mossebon,

I had the same default config from the factory (24V) as you had.  This was a worry to me as I specifically ordered the 36V version.

I wondered if I did not purchase the USB cable and just the controller (therefore not set it to the matching voltage of my kit) if I would have overloaded or burned out my new controller.

Luckily, that was not the case.  I do think it's an important thing for people to know in case they do not purchase both the controller and the USB cable.
I know for sure if I had burnt out a controller due to incorrect voltage I would be saying "but I ordered the 36V from you guys".

I hope that the controller can auto detect the correct voltage, if not this is a very bad oversight by the people who pick the order back at the factory.  I can't blame them though, mine has no part number on it even though I ordered it via part number??

Kind regards,

Carl

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 01:17:24 AM »

As all the GM cruise controllers (and Magic Pies) are able to accept an input voltage of up to 60V Maximum* the 24V setting should relate to the battery Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC).
*60V Maximum does not mean you can use a 60V battery pack (a 16 cell LiPo pack is 59.2V Nominal but its actual Maximum voltage will be as high as 67.2V) as this would be too much voltage for the controller.

If you had ordered a 24V unit and it had been set to 36V or 48V it would not run on your 24V battery pack, so I'm guessing that all controllers will be pre set to 24V to prevent the possibility this from happening.

Most of the GM batteries have a Battery Management Systems (BMS) which incorporates its own LVC to prevent them from becoming overdischarged, so a lower LVC on the controller would not be a problem.

I'm don't know for sure whether this voltage setting actually affects the performance of the motor, but a recent post on here would seem to suggest that it does.

Perhaps someone from GM would like clarify this for us.

Alan

Offline mrcarl

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:35:54 AM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply on this.  I have a question though which deviates from the example you gave:

I have a 36V system (I have 3 X 12V 12Ah SLAs with no BMS), ordered a 36V controller and got one by default set to 24V.

What are the implications of running the controller set @ 24V on a 36V system such as mine? Would the controller potentially be damaged?

That is what I am concerned about, which is a different scenario than what you mentioned, which is a controller preset to 36V being fitted to a 24V system.

Also, when does a battery's LVC come in to play? and in the event something happened would the outcome be different if there was or wasn't a BMS or fuses on the batteries using SLAs vs a battery with BMS?  I have read on these forums about people frying their controller using the regen braking, but that was not using SLAs.  I believe the SLAs can tolerate regen braking due to not having a BMS.

I apologise if these questions are showing my ignorance of electrics / electronics  :-\ But I'm sure you will agree that this forum thread will come in handy to the next noob who comes along  ;D

Please share some more wisdom with us :)

King regards,

Carl
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:46:59 AM by mrcarl »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »

I'm don't know for sure whether this voltage setting actually affects the performance of the motor, but a recent post on here would seem to suggest that it does.

Perhaps someone from GM would like clarify this for us.

Alan

I have made an intersting discovery using the new external controllers. I use a Cycle Analyst to confirm the following details.

As Some of you know I have a 48v1000w kit with 2 48v12ah batteries. When I run my controller in 48v mode I can burn about 950-1000 watts at full throttle. When I change my controller to 36v I can burn 1150-1200 watts. The bike is faster with much more torque. However since you lose the battery protection from the controller you must depend on the battery BMS to protect the batteries. I have found by using my Cycle Analyst for low voltage protection set at 41v I never get to the point where the battery BMS kicks out. This way I still feel I have double protection.

Gary
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:56:25 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
So did we ever figure out what (if anything) is different (besides the paint color) between the silver and gold controllers?

Yao also referred to mine as a "bronze controller" after seeing a picture of it in one of my posts.