Author Topic: Wiring up a USB Cable for the External Controller set up  (Read 6376 times)

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
Wiring up a USB Cable for the External Controller set up
« on: July 26, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »
Ive been trying to decifer the pin connections to make a USB connector, to reset my external controller from 24 volts to 48 volts. I have had this MP2 kit for over a year and it wont run. The new 48v battery I bought from GM is hooked up, but nothing. No lights no response, zero.. So Gary suggested it was the voltage setting was likely at 24 volts. But the USB cable price seemed very high, and I have several cables I can use.
What I have found so far is you plug the USB into the 6 pin white connector, that goes onto the HALL SENSOR HaGreen  Hb Blue Hc (yellow) and Red 5volt, and Black Ground leads on the external connector.
On some applications the Hc Yellow is used as a ground, but most 5 pin USB cables only use the Green as Data+, and the Blue as Data -, so the yellow lead is ignored, for the purpose of connecting to a PC to reset the External controllers. All of this information has been gleaned by trial and error, and research, as the GM dealer in Canada was not able to provide wiring data. Hope this helps others who need to make their on USB cable. You'll need a white 6 pin block connector, and one is provided as a spare with the old kits. If anyone knows more, or better information, please reply. For example, does the yellow cable Hc play a role in other applications? As far as I know there are only 2 Data connections in the USB format, D+ and D-.   Yet on the USB cable sold for this applacation from GM, there is no ground wire, and there is instead a yellow wire that goes to Hc. Which is confusing...Here is a link to more on the hall sensor discussions. http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5297.msg30391#msg30391

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
Re: Wiring up a USB Cable for the External Controller set up
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »
Here is the other USB cable as pictured on the GM site. Note that there is a red lead for 5v on the lower right, but no black Ground lead. Also note the 3 green blue and yellow leads that would connect to the Ha Hb Hc Hall sensor inputs, on the factory 6 pin white block harness. Yet in the USB format there is no such thing as a 3rd DATA port, so I can only assume GM has opted to connect the ground lead to Hc (yellow) for some reason... yet do not connect anything to the usual black ground lead on the external controller. Any comments on this might be helpful.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »
Dirk, it is not a direct connection to a USB lead and it definitely does not connect to the 6 5 pin Hall sensor connector.

The large USB plug on the GM USB programming cable contains a circuit board populated with components that interfaces the standard USB signals with the controller's programmable chip.

You cannot simply connect the four leads from a standard USB cable directly to the controller plug as it will not work!

You will need to use the correct PI-200E Programming cable if you want to program the external controller, but you should not need to alter any of the default controller settings to make your motor run. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:37:41 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:15:10 AM »
Thanks Alan, good to know. Guess ordering a USB PI-200E may be my only option then!

If the system should respond even if set at 24v, to a fresh 48volt battery and yet does not.... it remains a mystery what to do next.
My other post refers to some confusion with the final 3 sets of identical 2 pin wire connectors from the handle bar mounted controls, that don't match the color codes on the diagrams. But Im not sure if them being unconnected or connected wrong would entirely disable the entire system or not? Perhaps the External Controller is simple no good. Hard to tell. It definitely does not beep or respond in any way.
Question, If I had to order a replacement External Controller ~ Is there an option to buy an Sine Wave version that will work with my MP2 Hub motor and 48Volt Battery already purchased? That would at least be an upgrade!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
Those connectors being disconnected should not prevent the motor from running.

I don't think GM currently sell an external Sine Wave (vector) controller suitable for the MPII, so you might have to wait a bit longer if that's what you really want.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:31:23 PM by Bikemad »