Author Topic: To external control OR NOT to...?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline MelbourneRider

• Confirmed
To external control OR NOT to...?
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »
I am looking for some advices for building "a more than average" commuter ebike.

Is it possible to use these combinations: Rear MP3 + Dual Paralleled 48V LiPo + External Controller to achieve 1500W(plus)?

I have read some previous posts about this idea. Is there drawbacks of this kind of config e.g. overheating, setup complexity?

Or, should I be satisfied with a stock standard config: Rear MP3 internal controller + One 48V?

Cheers!  ;)

Offline MelbourneRider

• Confirmed
Re: To external control OR NOT to...?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:46:20 AM »
Almost forgot the CycleAnalyst added into the configuration. I am guessing there will be a lot of wiring works needed for it  :)

And I meant LiFePO4 (not LiPo as previously mentioned).

I wonder how much Wattage the MP3 can handle? I heard MP3 can be quite a "beast"  ;D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:16:20 AM »
The twin batteries and external controller for the MPIII is definitely feasible, but there will be a fair amount of wiring that will need to be modified and/or replaced.

The Cycle Analyst itself should not present too much of a problem to carry out the basic installation, but the wiring might be a bit more involved, should you wish to make use of the more advanced features that it is able to offer.

If you have lots of long, steep hills, then overheating could become a problem, but it is most unlikely that you will be using anywhere near maximum current for any real length of time, as the current will quickly diminish as the bike speeds up, and I find my bike speeds up pretty quick with higher amps.

Most of the higher powered Pies on this forum have been either MPIs and MPIIs, rather than MPIIIs, but I see no reason why the MPIII windings should be any less capable of withstanding the higher current.

The more current you put through the motor, the more torque it will develop, so the dropouts must be capable of withstanding the increased torque. I strongly recommend fitting a pair of strong torque arms if you are going to be using a controller that delivers 40 Amps or more.

The biggest problem I can foresee, apart from the obvious legal implications, is that it may be very difficult to accept riding a low powered bike ever again once you have experienced the impressive power increase that the higher amps will magically produce from your innocent looking Magic Pie.

Having thoroughly enjoyed the acceleration and power that comes with high amps, albeit for a very short duration, I am very keen to have that amount of power available again:

One day, I intend to make it happen again, but I just hope that the power will manage to last a lot longer than it did the last time I experienced it.

Anyway, I'm already thinking about how much wear and tear I'm going to be saving on my front tyre, by simply twisting the throttle and keeping the front wheel off the ground for as long as possible. ::)

Whoever it was that said, "You can have too much of a good thing", obviously wasn't talking about the Magic Pie's power output.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:38:11 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MelbourneRider

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
That is very impressive, Alan! You have almost reached 4.5 THOUSAND Watts! Awesome!

I would give a shot to this (more complex) configuration. Does anyone have a schematic for wiring them all together with Lyen 12 FET (sensor/sensorless) controller available? Or perhaps using other type of controller?

Cheers!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »

The Infineon controllers that are supplied by ebikes.ca come complete with a connector to allow the Cycle Analyst to plug straight in, but you may want to purchase the three speed switch to go with it.

You would need to remove the existing motor wiring harness and fit new heavy duty phase wires to the motor, and also new hall sensor wiring. If you can get hold of a complete set of matching connectors to suit your new controller, it would make the conversion much neater.

Quote from: ebikes.ca
Note that there are no printed instructions, manuals, or documentation with any of parts that are ordered from our site with the one exception of the Cycle Analyst. We have tried to make as much information as we know available through the website. Please be aware of this if you are not comfortable ordering components and figuring out how to make them work together in a complete vehicle. We have made a considerable effort to make everything as simple as possible to put together, but we are not pretending that this is like buying ready to assemble furniture from IKEA. You are buying parts for a project, your project, and not a consumer product.

Unfortunately, I don't have any first hand experience of the controller wiring requirements, but as several other members on this forum have already carried out similar conversions, it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Alan

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
Because my MP3 internal controller died, I have used GM external controller.
Speed and torque was okay.

But I have also A Kelly Controller laying here.
So I have removed the GM controller and conversion to Kelly Controller is now in progress.

I am using 12 AWG wires, because 10 AWG is too big to route through the motor cover holes.

Offline MelbourneRider

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:54:51 AM »
It's good to know that the Infineon controller are supplied with a connector for Cycle Analyst, brilliant!

I like the idea of using a three speed switch in-conjunction with the controller.

Does the switch allow you to change the min/max power while you are riding (hence the name)?

Cheers!