Author Topic: mod to use MP III internal harness/components on a external BAC-028X-  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Madman incognito

• Confirmed
Well not having much luck right now with my newest build after a frustrating couple of days.I am in need of a internal controller for my MP III and Golden Motor just changed there stock status to not in stock until mid July.So in meantime exploring options here,was thinking make the MP III external but have decided to throw a black Magic on the frame for now.Once I get a internal controller with from G.M. or from anyone who may have a new used one for sale..I would like the switch back as painless as possible,seeing as I have the original harness and a dead universal Smart Pie/mp3 harness on hand I am thinking I would like to keep the MP III components on the frame.That is keep the throttle/brake handles,switch etc frpm the MP III and adapt one of the lower MP III harnesses to work with my external black magic so I can just unplug the one socket to remove the external controller.
 If someone can provide wiring schematics/pin out or walk me through each it would be greatly appreciated
***if anyone has a new or used MP III internal controller let me know please
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:36:47 PM by Madman incognito »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Here is the diagram for the earlier MPIII controllers with the 8 pin main connector:

The later MPIII controllers had the 10 pin connector like the MP4 and MP5 as shown here:

To connect the MPIII to an external controller would need to extend the five Hall sensor wires and the three Phase wires from the motor to connect directly to the external controller.
If you could successfully desolder the Hall sensor socket from the dead controller, you could use this to connect to the motor's Hall sensor wires without having to change/remove the connector on the motor.

In the above diagram you would need to connect the following wires from the motor:

Mb      Thick Green Phase wire
Mc      Thick Blue Phase wire
Ma      Thick Yellow Phase wire
Ha      Yellow Hall sensor wire
Hb      Green Hall sensor wire
Hc      Blue Hall sensor wire
H-/0V  Black hall sensor ground wire
H+/5V Red Hall sensor +5V feed wire

The old motor harness can be removed from the dead controller and then connected to the external controller connections as required, but make sure you make a note of the exact function of each colour wire attached to the old controller before you remove them.

You can use a multimeter with a continuity test function to confirm which colour wires are connected to each of the pins if you are unsure.
Connect the following wires from the old motor harness:

B-      Thick Black battery positive wire
B+     Thick Red battery negative wire and thin battery +ve wire
B       Brake signal wire
R       Reverse wire
T2      Throttle signal wire
H       Horn wire
T1/5V +5V wire
Z/0V  Thin battery -ve (Ground wire)
C       Cruise control signal wire

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:27:58 PM by Bikemad »