Author Topic: Help! A guide to electricity  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Fnbroken

• Confirmed
Help! A guide to electricity
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
Hi all, hoping someone can lay it out for me...or send me a link or sticky...

I've read Ohms law, but how does it all fit together with ebikes.

That's is where do u get peak and continuos current from knowing volts, amps...how does that translate to watts....

What's the advantage of 36v16ah over 48v10ah?

So from this, can I run two mp2's off one 36v16ah battery?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Help! A guide to electricity
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
Hi,

I suggest you go to Wikipedia and enter the terms you want to learn about, and read the entries until you understand them, and follow through by reading  the links mentioned.  You might also search for BLDC motor operation, or theory, lithium battery performance, and other subjects.  There is a surprising amount of information available on the subjects.  Generally speaking, educational information from manufacturers is more likely to be accurate than that from some anonymous blogger. 

Of course, you can always trust everything I ever say to be the absolute accurate truth.

Oh wait, that is only true of Alan.......:)

(He really does know what he is talking about.)

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
It's same like why is 400HP better then 200HP ;D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:05:03 AM »

What's the advantage of 36v16ah over 48v10ah?

This one I can help you with. Volts = speed. Amps = Distance. So the 36 volt battery will be slower but will take you farther. If the batteries are the same technology, like both lithium or both liFePO4 A simple formula of multiplying the amps times the volts gives you an overall measurement of power. So the 36v16ah battery totals 576 and the 48v10ah totals 480. So even if you drove both batteries at the same speed the 36v16ah would still go further.

An interesting thing about technology. The 16 amp lithium batteries only you give about 13 to 14 amps from the battery until the BMS kicks it out. The LiFepPO4 48v10ah battery will give you almost 10 amps of power before the BMS kicks it out. So a 36v12 LiFePO4 Can deliver almost the same power as the 36v16ah lithium, The 48v10AH lithium almost the same as the 48v12ah lithium.

Another thing I can tell you is if these are the aluminum cased batteries check the technology.

The 48v10ah battery is likely LiFePO4 and is an excellent battery with very few issues. If there ever is an Issue the cells have screw tops for easy replacement.

The 36v16ah is likely Lithium Manganese and is far lower quality. If a person is lucky enough to go a year without an issue count your blessings. If you have a cell failure the cells are machine soldiered together and almost impossible to replace.

Some people go through a battery or two during their ebike years. Some even three or four and do gain some experience with different batteries. I have sold hundreds of each and if the batteries you are considering are the ones I am talking about trust me. Stay away from the Lithium Manganese!

Gary

Offline Fnbroken

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:24:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice - I had started reading various sources, no harm asking if someone had done a nice easy summary for me :)

The battery is a GM one purchased with my MP2 a couple years back, no longer being manufactured apparently, but I understood to be LiFePo4.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
If its a GM battery and its a 36V16AH then its definitely a Lithium Manganese. There is an easy way to tell. Take one of the ends off and look inside. If its the round cells it lithium Manganese, if its the square cells in blue shrink wrap. Its LifePO4. But considering it is a 36V16AH GM battery there is no need to check. A lot of people got about 2 years use from those batteries. But unfortunately a lot of people didn't.

Gary

Offline fearlessfostick

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 01:39:49 AM »
I am one of the unlucky ones whose GM Lithium Manganese quit after a year.  I have to decide whether to buy a GM 48 volt 10ah LIPO 4 and hope that it lasts or go with heavier but less expensive  SLA.