Author Topic: Blackpie 5, can I mess it up?  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Pzal123

• Confirmed
Blackpie 5, can I mess it up?
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
Hello all, I had a MP3 for about 5 years and loved it until I rode in one too many rain storms and the controller got wet and fried. I moved on and got an MP5, (because the silver backed MP3 controller I need is no longer available :()

I didn't bother getting the programming cable with the MP5 because the MP3 factory settings were great. Don't get me wrong, the MP5 is awesome, same top speed, much smoother and quieter, but the braking is weaker and the acceleration is lower.

I just ordered a usb programming cable. My question is, can I destroy my motor or controller if I set the wrong number somewhere? I am running it at 48V and I understand the hi and low cutoffs, I wont mess with that, but what if I crank up the braking and find myself going down a steep hill with the wind at my back and im doing 55 kph (it does happen), is it possible to dump too much regen in and blow a fet or something? Battery draw current seems to be set at 25. Is it possible within the programming software for me to make a mistake and set it to 125?

I want to play with it, but not sure of my limits???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Blackpie 5, can I mess it up?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
Hi Paul,

It should not be possible to damage your motor/controller with incorrect settings (with the possible exception of the "Overvoltage protection value (V)") the worst that could happen is the motor would refuse to run if the controller's voltage settings did not match the battery voltage. If this happens, you simply reset it to the correct voltage and the motor would instantly work again.  ;)

The "Battery drawn current" setting will only accept a maximum input value of 30 Amps, so there's no chance of greatly increasing the torque by trying to enter 50 Amps.  :(

Here are the maximum values that my MP4 controller will actually accept:

I would not recommend raising the "Overvoltage protection value (V)" above 62V (even with higher voltage batteries) as the main capacitors in the controller are only rated for 63V max.

As far as I am aware, the later controllers are not failing under high speed regen like some of the earlier controllers did.
Perhaps Gary (GM Canada) will be able to confirm this (or tell us otherwise if they are still suffering from high speed regen failure).

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:49:35 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Pzal123

• Confirmed
Re: Blackpie 5, can I mess it up?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »
Once again Alan, thank you for sharing that zen knowledge of yours with us. I've also ordered a new battery, so I'll post back here with results once everything gets here and I turn it up to 11.

Thanks again,

Paul