Author Topic: Magic Pie R.I.P .....maybe not! :-)  (Read 12355 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Magic Pie R.I.P .....maybe not! :-)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »
LOL Ginge,

No the new gears, the grey ones.

There was something wrong there ginge, that shouldn't happen your phase wires at that kind of power, is it the 320 rpm you got? that's the one I have!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
Hi Chaps

Grey gears....they are indestructable :), after seveal stupid misfortunes, they have proved their toughness.....

The problem is that the drive has issues to dissapate its heat.....5-7 miles no problem...the short happened at around mile 24, with the drive having consumed at this point around 14 ah, average 22mph, 35 top speed

Before the lipo,  I generally used to run low on battery power at this point, which I guess was a nice safety feature, But I guess after the install of 18ah of nice new lipo to keep it fed, I crossed the threshold of heat......bmc have a big issue with this axle problem.....

ill take some pics when I get time.....It really is a great great "cyclists" motor..
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »
Ginge you're a motor killer, did you tell cell-man what you did ?

I bet even he will be shocked, I still can't see how you could kill it at mainly 25 mph , only you Ginge my man, only you!  :P

;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »
So what is it dead?? Are there any pics?

Hmmmm its funny how you guys both went away from the pies only to come back to them !!!!

:D hehe

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »
Well When I fried the halls in my mac I had no choice but to go back to the Pie for a while.

It was my fault I killed the mac halls by plugging the cycle analyst connector into the halls  ::)

I love the mac for it's small size and sheer power and it's freewheeling ability.

The Pie also has it's advantages, regen, you can dump a lot of power for longer into the pie and you don't have to worry about off roading, but it's hard to pedal along with!

I have to source new wire for the halls as the wire I used to externally wire them melted to the axle on my 16% climb last week!  :'(

Hopefully I can get new wire today but it means driving 100 miles to Dublin there and back to Radionics if they even have wire or they might have to order it from the U.K, if that's the case I probably won't have it up and running for a good 2 weeks as I have to go to Germany on Wednesday!

The mac halls are replaced, I'm just waiting on grease for the gears, I managed to re use the pcb so I've no idea if it works yet either!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »
on the bmc a lot of guys have just skipped the pcb, like the pie halls......

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
Yeah that would probably have been just as easy as trying to scrape epoxy off!

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
Went for a spin last night in the rain, it's been raining the last few days so I just said to he'll with it and put on my wet gear!

The motor starts off rough, but it runs fine once it speeds up a bit, it's only from stop. If I lift the back wheel it runs fine with no sign of roughness.

It's only under load its rough from start, I've no idea what's causing it? Maybe it did get damaged from the heat?

But the new halls work fine!

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 08:32:13 PM »
I think from reading ES forum it's something to do with the position of one of the halls, it's nothing serious, and I'll fix it soon!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »
this is the failure that I have on mine....seems fine when you are off the bike, but as soon as you sit on it, it dies, runs with mass vibration....could be axle wire melt.....check the amp usage when you sit on saddle and when bike unloaded at an angle....if there is a difference in the amps used....( 0.06 compared with 0.12 example), then probably short circuit somwhere

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »
this is the failure that I have on mine....seems fine when you are off the bike, but as soon as you sit on it, it dies, runs with mass vibration....could be axle wire melt.....check the amp usage when you sit on saddle and when bike unloaded at an angle....if there is a difference in the amps used....( 0.06 compared with 0.12 example), then probably short circuit somwhere

Replaced all the wires, but I'd say it's to do with the position of one of the halls, I might check it out sometime, or just use a sensor less controller!

But my mac is back and I'm loving every mile on it.

50 amp battery and 100 amp phase, and it is so addictive, I want to say on it all day!  ;D

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
So what is it dead?? Are there any pics?

Hmmmm its funny how you guys both went away from the pies only to come back to them !!!!

:D hehe

Well minkye, its like this.....i have 3 boys, all so loveable, some soft, some thugs, and I love each of them in different ways, not none less than the other, if that makes sense

I love the pie, its elegant noise ( which is just beautiful, music to the ears), its durability, its heat dissapation.....its just a big lump of metal that will last forever, but speed....how id love just another 20%, thats all, nothing big..( I don't like, cycling it, carrying it, trying to hide it  :) ), but l love it.....its gonna live forever

i love the mac, its speed, its torque, its size, its weight, the fact that I can just turn it off and cycle, its power consumption ( I don't like, its dentist drill sound, its heat dissapation, constantly worrying whether this hill will kill the gears) , but I love it

Does that make sense....

Im back on the pie, but have made my mind to get the mac running, just to shave another 10 mins of my 1hr 10 min journey....in -5C, that ten mins counts

So, there is only 1 option, 2 bikes, 1 with a pie and 1 with a mac..nothing else will do :)

I love th