Author Topic: Magic Pie in the Rain  (Read 9022 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Magic Pie in the Rain
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
how rain proof would you say the motors are?  have there been any reports of water damage or corrosion?

Is the exit point of the motor cable the main means of water entrance or is it likely water can get through the hub via bolts and general hub assembly points?

Is it worth getting some ACF 50 spray and spraying on the hub and any potential gaps, i.e the cable entrance point.

i ask this as I have noticed some corrosion occuring on the exterior of my rear pie, which could mean the inner areas could be moist and be worse. I do use the bike in the wet and have a damp garage when there are bouts of rain. 

Andrew :)

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
Re: Magic Pie in the Rain
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
I'd think the motor would be ok, but if you're in doubt, how about an yearly/season inspection? Open it up and tell us. ;)

You should be more worry if you have the GM's battery pack; several of us have had problems with water on the bms, cutting power... A nice cover are the best solution to that problem. :)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:53:27 PM »
Hi Andrew

Ive done 1100 miles now since november on the worst the UK winter has had to throw at us, and have had no problems, indeed ive had more problems with salt on the road and my aluminium frame. had to re-oil the chain every 2 weeks due to corrosion etc...

i think with the hot/cold air in the motor, from what ive studied so far, sealing the motor is the worst that you could do due to condensation etc....

in fact the nice expert at ebikes.ca reckon the worst that the water damage will do is short the hall sensors/cover them in rust particles etc...once cleaned, they seem to be fine

but thats if you leave the bike in the rain / worst case scenario....ive been in some proper rain this year, my battery covers soaked to the bone, the motors just dripping, expecting a full short out, and not even a glitch....fingers crossed eh ?

Regards
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »
i think that the salt has definately left its mark on the aluminium components after the white-out we had before christmas.  
i will definately get some anti corrosive formula and cover my whole bike using a rag. as you say the bike chain says it all,  i just don't want any unseen corrosion taking it's toll inside the motor hubs.

As for battery, a nice bespoke cover with a an eyelet hole for the key is all you need ;)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
Hi Andrew

the batteries were inside a pannier, inside plastic bags....it was seriously wet..if they were in the bag with any hole at all, they were in for a drenching........waterproof pants..nope...sideways hailstones

but the motors, no issues )
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »
Hey drewmeister I think I saw you the other day with your Mrs.

Nice umbrella man, and nice Mrs ;) reowwwww

I tried it myself... But this was the result...

Obviously I need one of those premium umbrella handlebar mounts. I'll have to save up :D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:11:03 PM »
Obviously I need one of those premium umbrella handlebar mounts. I'll have to save up :D

I would save your money for a stronger set of forks that don't bend backwards under those extreme loads!

Or break:

I really don't think it was a very good idea showing off with a one handed stoppie in those conditions anyway, but luckily the water was deep enough to help cushion the impact. ;D

If you were any good at doing stoppies, you wouldn't have needed that umbrella to balance with either. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:06:45 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
 :D :D :D  you pair of of looney's  :D :D :D

to be honest I need a more immediate solution for my lack of vision when riding in the wet.  Being short sighted not only in life but also with eyesight I get fogged glasses in the cold rain as well as being blinded by rain drops on the lenses.  if you don't wear specs, it's just like driving a car in the rain with no wipers on and a fogged up windscreen, - not ideal!

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
Hey andrew found some solutions for you. Should be a go'er. Look this one even turns heads its so trendy

It can take uber dual pie speeds too:

And one for that Mrs. of yours ;) wink

These are an option, I think they are pretty radical

And a home made version! hehe

My great grandfather had a similar problem actually, so he fitted a telescope to his balloocycle. I scraped around and found this old pic of him :D

And I found this picture of when I was a kid (and yes I've since changed the wheel color!!! it was a phase I was going through back then....)

I would probably go the nubrella way, as the telescope could poke an eye if you had to brake quickly

But on a serious note, could you wear a full face helmet in wet weather conditions? You can get some BMX/downhill styles with visors that could be an option...

Peace out
MM :D

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Awesome :P, you need very little prompting Monkey  ::)   :D :D

I'm lost for words, but certainly not lost for ideas!! :)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 02:16:13 AM »
Hahahah

Great pictures..

Gary