Author Topic: Trouble Finding Tire for 18'' MagicPie 3  (Read 3868 times)

Offline AFG solar car

• Confirmed
Trouble Finding Tire for 18'' MagicPie 3
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
I have an 18'' MagicPie3 and I am having a lot of difficulty finding a tire to fit it. I was wondering if anyone else has found a solution to this problem. The issue arises because there is not enough room to fit a standard 18'' bicycle inner tube valve (see pictures attached). The valve hits the hub before it can be inserted all the way.

I have spent significant time searching for an 18'' tube with an angled nozzle that will fit and also and 18'' solid tire or airless tire, but in all cases I have been unable to find a suitable tube/tire. I am curious to hear if anyone else has ran into this problem and what they have done to get around it.

Offline OzGeeksGarage

• Confirmed
Re: Trouble Finding Tire for 18'' MagicPie 3
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:49:29 PM »
My first thought would be to drill a new hole in the rim to one side and just let the tube twist a bit to suit.
Please excuse my crappy typing, I'm partially blind

Offline AFG solar car

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:32:59 AM »
As a last resort I would agree. Since anyone with an 18" model would run into this problem, I was hoping to find a less invasive solution that has been used.

Offline OzGeeksGarage

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:00:30 AM »
The other problem you have is that even if you get a 90 degree adaptor in ther, you'd never be able to remove the schroder valve if you needed to or trigger it to deflate the tyre. It's a bit of a ludicrous design fault really.
Please excuse my crappy typing, I'm partially blind

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Have tried a presta valve?

As it is thinner than a shraeder there will be a little room in the rim valve hole to bend it to the side in order to fit a pump. You may need an old type bendy valve adpater like this one..... http://www.evanscycles.com/products/raleigh/schrader-presta-pump-adaptor-ec020504

Pump ........ http://www.evanscycles.com/products/zefal/15-inch-pump-ec007668

Presta valve... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Presta_valve_close.jpg
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:42:16 PM by Andrew »

Offline AFG solar car

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:38:14 AM »
I haven't looked into presta valves. However, I still don't think there is going to be enough clearance between the rim and the hub in order to bend it. It's just too small of a distance to bend it around the ~2inch wide hub.

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »
Hi , I think by looking at the picture that the rim would use a tubeless tire and maybe a tubeless valve . If so angled valves can be purchased at an auto store . Just my opinion . Rodmiami

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »

I've just been looking on my favourite website and came across this:

Click for more information.

Another alternative might be to fit one of these on the end of a short valve:

But even with a short valve, it might still require a short spacer tube on the valve stem inside the rim to stop the valve from being pushed out too far when the tube is inflated.

The 16" rim has the valve hole drilled at an angle on one side or the rim section to allow the valve to clear the side of the hub:

Perhaps you can use a round file to elongate the hole to allow the valve to be angled sufficiently to clear the hub:

Alan