Author Topic: Magic Pie III Updates  (Read 101358 times)

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Magic Pie III Updates
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »
The issue is not in the body weight, but in the vehicle's one... As bicycle is lighter as easier drive it... If just the motor + controller (even without the battery) get the bicycle twice heavier... It seems this wheel is good for the heavy old-style bi-cycles or for tri- or quad- ones, but not for the modern foldable or light-weight mountain bicycles... But, you know, as many persons as many opinions... 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:41:07 AM by dmitryl »

Offline Mago77

• Confirmed
Magic Pie III - Tandem - Hydraulic Brakes
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
By the end of spring I plan to eAssist my Tandem with a Magic Pie III ...

Show-stopper or not?
Aluminium Frame if that's a Problem.
140mm rear fork that is standard for tandem.
203mm hydraulic disc brakes (I cannot imagine to ride a tandem without those brakes)

Is a front wheel drive an option...for such a weight?

Feasible or not?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:19:06 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2012, 03:33:50 AM »

Marcel, Aluminium frames are more prone to breakage around the dropout area caused by the tremendous twisting force of the axle, and it is therefore advisable to use some form of torque arm to prevent this from occurring.

Although front wheel drive is obviously an option, it is not one that I would recommend on a tandem, as the high torsional load acting directly on the fork's dropouts could eventually result in their failure over time due to metal fatigue.

Take a look at Gary's excellent post showing the installation of a rear Magic Pie on a tandem, and the use of torque arms to prevent the axle from turning within the rear dropouts on the steel frame.

Alan

Offline Mago77

• Confirmed
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2012, 06:02:52 AM »
Thanks Bikemad,
I will certainly consider the torque arm, I had a look at Gary's tandem, that's a nice weldone job.
For the front fork, I have an MTB tandem for soft off road but the suspension fork is a RockShok Argyle with a 20mm axle,  and a 110mm hub spacing (no droup out).  http://www.sram.com/fr/rockshox/products/argyle-r

I know I will have to find somme reed switches, but what about the 203mm brakes?.
Marcel

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:18 AM »

Regarding the 203mm brake discs, I estimate there would be about 23mm between the inside of the disc and the hub itself, but I'm not sure if that gap will be sufficient to accommodate a hydraulic calliper if it's a dual piston type.

With smaller diameter discs, the clearance will be is reduced by approximately 7mm due to the thickness of the mounting flange on the combined cooling fan/disc mounting assembly shown in the attached photo.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2012, 03:11:30 AM »
The issue is not in the body weight, but in the vehicle's one... As bicycle is lighter as easier drive it... If just the motor + controller (even without the battery) get the bicycle twice heavier... It seems this wheel is good for the heavy old-style bi-cycles or for tri- or quad- ones, but not for the modern foldable or light-weight mountain bicycles... But, you know, as many persons as many opinions...

The Magic Pie is not good for Mountain bikes? What about these?

My Wife's mountain Bike. At least that's what I call it :) This bike is excellent in the bush on some rough muddy trails. A lot of fun, great for jumps etc.

Then there is My TRI-PIE. This bike is all about torque and take off. It really is an amazing amount of torque. 1000's of kilometres no issues.

The Magic Pie is also great for my Tandem bike. Anyone that goes for a ride with me on this can't believe the power of just one motor.

I would say Magic Pie motors are suitable for many styles of bikes. To say Magic Pies are not good for Mountain bikes is not correct in my opinion. Actually for an all around bike I think the full suspension Mountain bikes are the best conversion for Magic Pies. Well except for my Townie I guess :)

Now a lightweight aluminum folding bike. Maybe not. But pretty much any other bike is fine. These are my four current rides. I have cut my personal collection of ebikes down to these four. Well and two Shrinkers. But who is counting :)

BTW the first 3 pictures are all MP2 externals and I will be selling the motors off of them soon. Gotta go MP III all the way now!

Gary
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:20:49 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2012, 04:37:13 AM »
Took the Bike out for a Mid February MUD ride. Normally this area would be all snow and Ice. We are having a very mild winter this year!

Video too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epfwXtlVLyA&feature=email&email=comment_received

Last time all that MUD was on me!

Gary

Offline spy70

• Confirmed
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
Hello Gary, is the MPIII in stock? Or always preorder-able?
See you

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »
Hello Gary, is the MPIII in stock? Or always preorder-able?
See you

Yes

Gary

Offline spy70

• Confirmed
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
Wowww I missed this great news.

Many thanks Gary for this fast answer!

Offline AussieCruzer

• Confirmed
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »

''If you don't understand why a Magic Pie 2 is 10kg then you obviously have never had one in your hands. If the MP III is 11kg then so be it.

Most likely these numbers are the shipping weight anyway.''

Gary

I just weighed my Magic Pie III on the supplied 26"wheel, it's 8.95kg.

Rupert.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2012, 03:38:39 AM »
Just thought I would toss in a few pictures of my next conversion. Bought it today, picking it up tomorrow. This one is going to be special!

Gary
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:41:13 AM by GM Canada »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 12:19:29 AM »

It looks like someone's been busy recently, haven't they Gary?

Unfortunately mine's still waiting for the battery packs, lights and wiring to be sorted:

My custom LiPo battery packs are slowly taking shape, I'm hoping to be able to carry two packs, a lightweight 29.6V 5Ah pack and a heavier one that can be run as either 25.9V 10Ah or 51.8V 5Ah.  I've given it a quick run round the garden with the 29.6V 5Ah LiPo pack and it seems pretty good so far.
I'm still anxious to try it with the higher voltage pack to see if the MPIII will be able to lift the front wheel. ;D

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:44:14 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »
Gary , are you using a thumb throttle since the three speed shifter is twist ? Gary you are costing me money . I just ordered the bike and will start stripping down my beach cruiser MP for the conversion . I have a twist throttle so I might move the shifter to the left side of the handle bar . The bike should be here next week . Mine is suppose to come with a disk brake on the front which should work with my MP2 and the offset front wheel that drives me crazy . I'll keep you posted . Rod

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2012, 01:51:46 AM »
Ok You caught me! Theres no Hiding from you guys! Here are some more pictures. I'm still working on it when I have time. Too much stuff on the handle bars I need to add another bar. At first I had the thumb throttle, I switched to twist to get more of a motorcycle feel. I moved the shifter to the other side, the numbers are upside down but thats no big deal. I also changed the seat, niot as comfy as it looks and alot of interference with the battery rack. Still tweaking. It will keep improving.

Gary