Author Topic: MPIII no longer runs  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Pantec

• Confirmed
MPIII no longer runs
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:02:56 PM »
Hello GoldenMotor Forum Moderator,

please change my status to allow me creating new posts.  I'm a real MP3 user and this would be my urgent call for help:

I converted my 28" bike into an E-Bike with a MP3-Kit, thumb throttle, PAS and a 36V LiFePo.

After riding about 1500km I've got a problem now. It doesn't move anymore. Pushing the throttle does nothing. The problem appeared suddenly.  I was going for about 2 km (fully charged battery at start), then switching it off, parking for an hour. After switching it back on throttle doesn't seem to work anymore. Really no one touched the bike in between, I've had it in my view all the time when it was parked.

Battery is fully charged. I can operate the lights with the button at the throttle. I checked all cables with multimeter, they seem to be OK. I disconnected the throttle (wire No.3) and tried to move it with PAS, without success. Also reconnecting the throttle after switching power on (as described here in another post) did not make the wheel turn.  The controller is accessible with the Programmer Software via USB. I can read out the configuration and the parameters seem to be all OK. There is no major resistance from the motor during pedaling. There isn't any sound nor beep from the motor/controller during power on.

How can I further debug this error ?

How can test controller and motor to narrow down the problem?

Best Regards.

BTW: my MP3 never made a "beep" as described in the manual, also when it was working properly in the past.
          Do I need to connect a horn to make it "beep"?

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MPIII no longer runs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:16:39 AM »
Hi Pantec,

I had very similar circumstances, and the problem was that the brake switch was activated.  I hope that is all it is for you.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Pantec

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »
Today I investigated further. It seemed that all cables are OK. There is also no continuous brake signal as sugggested in the previous posting. Later I found out that the motor can be started with throttle while pushing the bike backwards !!  This is strange. I reprogrammed the MPIII to run reversed and it runs forward now. But only if I'm already moving. It doesn't start from the standstill anymore (as it did before).

I'm very curious to know what happened to my MPIII. Does anybody have a clue ?

Best Regards
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:26:38 PM by Pantec »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »
Hi andto the forum Pantec.

I was not sure whether the MPIII runs in sensorless mode or not, but from your description, it sounds as if you may have a problem with the hall sensors and the controller is actually operating in sensorless mode, which would explain why the wheel needs to be turning before the motor can work.

I might be worth removing the controller to check that the 6 pin hall sensor connector is properly fitted and that non of the crimped sockets have been dislodged from the connector housing during assembly at the factory:

Make sure that the five crimped sockets on the hall sensor leads are fully inserted into the connector block as shown in the above picture, and then make sure the connector is clicked properly into the socket on the controller.

If the hall sensor connections are all OK, it is possible that one (or more) of the three hall sensors may have failed.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:30:12 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Pantec

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
This sounds reasonable. Directly before this happened, I went again on an unpaved way with my bike (this approx. once a week). Maybe that plug became loose due to the vibration. Now I understand also those short "power cuts" that I experienced before at some potholes but never thought about it.

So I will unmount the wheel and check for that controller board inside. Are there some pitfalls opening the motor ?  Do I need special tools ?  What should I know before ?  I don't want destroy something.

Best Regards

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
Accessing the controller should be relatively easy once the wheel has been removed from the bike.

If you watch Gary's video you will see exactly how it's done.

The circlip that secures the cable against the axle can sometimes be a bit awkward to remove where it fits into the tiny holes in the axle. All you need to do is use a pair of pointed tweezers or a small thin flat blade screwdriver to gently ease out each end of the clip in turn:

Here is a picture showing the clip holding the cable nice and snug into the axle's recess, to keep it well away from the centre of the rotating cooling fan/disc mount assembly to prevent damage from chaffing:

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:29:40 PM by Bikemad »