Author Topic: Battery connector  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Vipermn

• Confirmed
Battery connector
« on: January 23, 2015, 03:02:14 AM »
Hi everyone :)
 I need to know what the name of the plug connector is on theGM 48v10ah std battery pack is.  I need a backup battery for my bike 
but golden motor does not sell water bottle batteries in 48v so I want to buy one someplace else. Also I need to know if using a 48v8ah battery is going to be a problem.  thx

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Battery connector
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »

Take a look at this post for more details on the 50A Anderson Connector.

A 48V 8Ah bottle battery is unlikely to provide enough current to adequately power your MP4 under full load.
Check the specifications of the battery to make sure it can deliver at least 20 Amps continuous and 30-35 Amps Max

If the current output is too low you should be able to run it in parallel with your existing battery if the voltage and chemistry are the same to give an extended range, rather than using it as a standalone reserve battery.

Even if the chemistry and nominal voltages are the same, you still cannot connect it in parallel with your existing battery if the voltages are not matched (i.e. one fully charged and the other almost empty), they must be the same actual voltage.

Alan

Offline Vipermn

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:46:16 AM »
Thank you Alan. :) One more question- how can I get a more accurate battery readout? The BAC-601 reads full  then about 1 minute before it goes dead the gage goes down to 4 bars then 30 seconds at 3 bars and after 1 bar useless. It would be nice to know when I'm at about 1/2 or 1/4 ...thx

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:04:32 AM »
Hi Jack,

I'm not sure whether the BAC-601 uses just the "Nominal battery voltage" setting in the controller to determine the capacity or whether it is also affected by the "Over voltage protection value" and the "Under voltage protection value" too.

It might simply be due to the fact that the GM 48V battery has an actual nominal voltage of 51.2V (or 52.8V) at 3.2V (or 3.3V) per cell instead of the expected 48V. This might explain why the battery has to be reasonably well discharged before the bars on the gauge start to disappear.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough spare time nowadays to experiment with the different settings to see exactly how the gauge is affected, but it would be interesting to use an adjustable power supply to quickly determine how the gauge would respond to different controller voltage settings and supply voltages.

Alan