Author Topic: New Black Magic compared to MPII?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
New Black Magic compared to MPII?
« on: October 25, 2014, 11:41:01 PM »
Looks like GM are phasing out the 901 in favour of the Black Magic. The BM and the MPII hub motor kits are the same price, is there any difference in performance? The BM appears to be a satin black version of the 901 that accepts a disc rotor, are both kits for 135mm drop out spacing or is the BM the same width as the 901? Is the bolt circle diameter for ISO (standard) rotors or just the non-standard Chinese ones like you use with a spin on adapter for the 901? I don't see any advantages to replacing the old 901 with a more expensive equivalent, no cooling fan, same sized wires exiting the end of a hollow axle, non standard width. May as well get rid of the Black Magic too. You can still buy the 901 as a unlaced motor but not the new BM... not sure what they're thinking.  :-\

(the other) Alan

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: New Black Magic compared to MPII?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »
looks like an oem what I hera is that  just a usual BLDC engine with external controller. It‘s distributed by GM, but it‘s not produced by them.

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: New Black Magic compared to MPII?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »
Yes, it looks a lot like the 9 Continent hub motor that ebikes.ca used to sell or just a regular GM901 with a side cover that accepts a disc rotor. I really like the way the MPII/III have the wires coming through the side cover. It looks inferior to the MPII and costs the same, just wondering if anyone has tried one.  ::)

(the other) Alan