Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 Vector with Bluetooth for Android/IOS  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Zanthic

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 5 Vector with Bluetooth for Android/IOS
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:44:03 PM »
I have a Black Pie 5 and the BT module and am trying to change parameters with the new IOS app.  I can see the data and read the settings and I can successfully change the FOC settings for tire size but if I try to change any of the other settings and hit the download button, nothing happens.  When I read the data back, it is unchanged.  Should this be working with the Black Pie and IOS? I have a iPhone 6S but also tried it with an iPad Pro with the same results.

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
  • Why pedal when you can twist!
Re: Magic Pie 5 Vector with Bluetooth for Android/IOS
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
Hi Zanthic,

I have the same issues, I have a MP Edge sync to and iphone 7. I have also tried and iPad and an iPhone SE. the iOS on the 7 is 12.3.1, the iPad is running 12.3 and the SE is running 12.1.2.
Not sure what has to be done here. Hopeful  a solution/update will be done soon. It's a little frustrating to have a $93 BT that does 50% of what it's supposed to do :o :o

;)
"With great power, comes great electricity Bill" :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:19:16 AM »
Today was published a new version for IOS GoldenMotor app and now there also possible to change the parameters.
The only problem is that the iPhone screen turns into sleep.

I have thoroughly tested the iOS app and it works great! I am very impressed and thankful it is finally here.

Two things mentioned above

1 - On iPhone 4 you have to landscape it to see properly. The app recommends iPhone 5 or higher, iOS 9 or higher. It works great on my iPhone x
2 - The phone goes into sleep mode when using the app. I have brought this to the attention of Golden Motor and a new version is out already to fix that. It may take a few days to be updated in the apple app store

Gary

I shot a quick video here of my first look at the iOS app. Here I am learning to program the motor and how to detect what settings I like for speed.

So far it is awesome! I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8B0RD2aMW4

Gary

Are you both using the latest version of the iOS App?

Alan

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 01:19:59 AM »
Hi Alan,

I do have the latest version of the app. Like a stated in my previous post, I have tried the latest app on different versions of iOS and different devices, with all the same results, it simply does not save my changes. I got my hands on an Android device And it worked perfectly. It still does not solve my problem that I can not use my iPhone for changes on the “fly”  :(.

:)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
Hi Marty,

I don't use Apple devices so I don't know what the App versions are, but the original iPhone App (that I tested on my wife's iPhone 4S) did not allow changes to the parameters to be saved.

A newer version of the App was released which did allow changes to be saved:

Quote from: goldenmotor.com
SmartMeter App (iOS) for iPhones (version 5 or higher) and iPads:
Search GoldenMotor from App Store of Apple, then install it. (Last Updated on 16/5/2019)

In your previous post you only stated what versions of the iOS you were using not what the version of the App, which is why I asked the obvious question.

I presume that only the most recent GM App is currently available on the App Store, but I don't know whether it completely replaces or simply updates earlier versions that might have been already installed.

If it updates, instead of removing the old App and performing a clean install, this could cause the parameter saving problem to remain.

We have had Android users with a similar problem where a previously downloaded App had been reloaded from the download folder instead of the newly downloaded version.

As I said before, I don't use Apple devices, so I am not familiar with their App installation process.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 05:52:58 PM »
Make sure you are "downloading" to the controller. I generally get several calls a day with people trying to "upload" and that does not work. It just reloads the controller settings into the app.

A good way to remember is the wheel is down by the ground and the iPhone is up on the handle bars. So you download the settings from the phone to the wheel or you upload the setting from the wheel to the phone.

Gary

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:46:40 AM »
Hi guys,

For now I only have the android version that’s working. I uninstall the app on my iPhone and reinstalled it, but no changes there. Also today I was out for a long ride and I notice the app quits on me more than I would like :(  I had to reconnect four times this morning and three times this afternoon :o. I can only imagine an updated version will come out in the near future  ;)

So my option of changing the settings while I am out riding is on hold :'( so I do the changes once I am home with my daughter’s android tablet.

Other then this minor issue the system is great and runs well. :-*

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »
I don't know where you have located the bluetooth dongle, but if it's transmissions are being shielded by metal parts of the frame then it might improve the connection if you reposition it so there is a clear line of sight between it and the phone.

I still think that the best option would be a dedicated LCD display with the bluetooth unit integrated into it. Your phone could then be mounted right next to it on the handlebars. This would enable an easy to read display in bright sunshine and a means of logging your ride and changing parameters etc.

I have a set of bluetooth headphones that I use with a bluetooth smart watch so I can reduce the engine noise and listen to music while I cut the grass. I used to have a very poor connection which kept intermittently cutting out, until I tried turning the Headphones around so that the bluetooth transceiver was on the same side as the watch, the intermittent connection problem was instantly cured.  :D

Also, what is the unrestricted maximum speed/rpm of your scooter at full throttle on level ground?

Alan