Author Topic: Problem with some connection on Magic Pie 5  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Vitor Tomas

• Confirmed
Problem with some connection on Magic Pie 5
« on: April 29, 2018, 12:30:28 AM »
hi Alan.
I bought the Magic Pie 5 from https://www.miromax.lt/en/ last week.
I connected everything and was working properly, I did my first ride and everything was perfect until my goofy dog jumped to me while I was stock my bike on my garage (i was pushing the tumb throttle when the dog pulled the cable !!!) , the problem was the cable that connect the battery to the motor was pulled with some strong by the dog and disconected the battery. after this situation I tried connected again .. only the 3 lights in the throttle appears when I switch the on/off button of battery, but the engine doesn't start and in my phone now doesn't appear any bluethooth device ....

do you think that the controller is fried/burned  ?   :'(
please help me.

many thanks, tomas

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problem with some connection on Magic Pie 5
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »
Hi Tomas andto the forum.

Do all three LEDs remain lit when you apply the throttle, or do they turn off?

If they remain lit, try unplugging both of the brake switch connectors (just in case it is a faulty switch or fault within the brake wiring).

Also check that the centre conductor or the four unused wires for the horn/light on the front harness and the four unused wires for the pedelec/reverse are not exposed and touching each other. Insulate the wires if required.

If the LEDs on the throttle are lit up then it must be getting battery power, but the throttle also needs a +5v supply to work.

Take a look at this post to see how to check if the +5V supply is still present.

If the +5V and battery voltages are present at the respective pins on the connectors, the problem could be a broken throttle signal wire (or possibly a shorted brake signal wire) somewhere inside the controller harness.

If this is the case, you would need to remove the controller so that you could check the continuity (and isolation) between each of the wires on the controller's PCB and the pins on the 5 and 10 pin connectors.

Once the fault has been located, it may be necessary to carefully cut open the rubber block assembly where the five cables join on the controller harness.

A replacement controller may be required if the problem is not due to the wiring.

Alan

Offline Vitor Tomas

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 05:58:04 PM »
hi Alan.
Sorry for my late response to your questions.

-yes , all three LEDs remain lit when I aply the throttle.

- in the time where situations has occured , I already have unplugged both of the brake switch connectors. (because I use hidraulic breaks, and the setup in kit is for cables. and I didnt install the connectores for the breaks sensors with a magnet, but I already have them in the box to instal later)

-i isolate all those wires for lights and pedelec .

- +5v .. I will try wednesday in the morning see if the connectores have those +5v , I will go to a shop with a guys who mounts ebikes here in portugal. I will see if I discover the problem and I will let you know how was the expirience.

- and yes maybe I shoud by a new controller if the problem is not detected.

thanks for your help Alan.

cheers . Tomas

Offline Vitor Tomas

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »
hi alan.
i already did the check up for the +5v. is confirmed that I don't have that voltage in all parts of the arness that comes from the motor/controler. I assumed it has to be on the controller. I just order a new one.. :-\

i have to be carefull in future, but I think it was bad luck .
any advice for the future? maybe I can add something to thetheprevent connections to prevent & don't cause damage to controler, for exemple if my batery falls off my bike .. is possible?

cheers

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 02:14:37 PM »
Make sure that all of your cables are securely clipped to the frame using zip ties to prevent them from being accidentally pulled.

Disconnecting the battery is no different to turning off the key switch, and this would not usually cause your controller to fail.
However, I would not recommend disconnecting a battery (or turning off the key switch) while the motor is under load, unless it is an emergency where turning of the power is necessary to stop the motor.

Make sure that your battery is really secure so that it cannot fall off your bike!  :o

Alan