Author Topic: Bluetooth Dongle not turning on  (Read 7436 times)

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Bluetooth Dongle not turning on
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:53:46 PM »
I took the Black Pie 5 Vector out of the box, plugged in the BT dongle and I get nothing. The motor DOES work, sorta. All 3 lights on the throttle do come on, and the motor does respond to the throttle. This was a bench test only, as the motor still has yet to go on my bike. If my memory is right, the firmware on the dongle might need to be updated?? I thought the USB cable that came with the motor would plug into the BT dongle, but it does not.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:07:48 PM by Adamsavage79 »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Bluetooth Dongle not turning on
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 02:49:31 AM »
Check your brake levers.

This 2012 video is still very relevant today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fkjkd79Izw

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:22:37 AM »
Brake levers are not connected to the Motor, as per your instructions on the phone. The motor will respond to the throttle, but the BT dongle does not come nor does it even show up when I scan for BT. I also tried with only the dongle connected and the only sign of life I got, was a faint green light from the dongle. That's it. Still doesn't show up on scans, nor does ap see it.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
If my memory is right, the firmware on the dongle might need to be updated?? I thought the USB cable that came with the motor would plug into the BT dongle, but it does not.

The dongle uses the same connector as the USB programing lead, which both plug into the controller (but you can only use one of them at a time).
It was only the controller's firmware on Magic Pie 5.3.1, Smart Pie 5.3.1 and Magic Pie Edge controllers that needed to be updated to allow them to communicate correctly with the Bluetooth dongle.

Check out Gary's video on how to perform the Flash Update.

You can download the zip file containing the flashing tool and software from goldenmotor.ca, But make sure that the update is applicable to your controller version and that you only use the correct file for your particular motor.  ;)

Alan

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:33:37 PM »
I will have to try this later, after work. Going to be a little tricky as I don't have a laptop. I'm going to take a guess and asume that MP5-20150702.0C8 is for my Magic Pie 5 Vector Motor.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:40:09 PM by Adamsavage79 »

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »
I opened a support ticket, as that didn't work. It might a dead or defective dongle. After the flash, it gave me a bright green light, that then blinked for a few seconds, and eventually became a faint but steady green light.

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 01:12:37 AM »
I never did get a follow up reply from the Support Ticket, so I'm unsure what I should do now ? Wait it out ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 03:31:54 PM »
Why not simply give Gary a call or have a chat with him via Live Chat on the website to find out what's going on?

Alan

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:29:44 PM »
Why not simply give Gary a call or have a chat with him via Live Chat on the website to find out what's going on?

Alan

Sadly I tried that. He never picked up, and didn't return my call. I also tried live chat... I ended up doing a warranty claim ticket, to see if that gets me anywhere. For such a highly praised website/brand.. I'm dispointed, with the lack of Customer Service.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »

Alan

Sadly I tried that. He never picked up, and didn't return my call. I also tried live chat... I ended up doing a warranty claim ticket, to see if that gets me anywhere. For such a highly praised website/brand.. I'm dispointed, with the lack of Customer Service.

Actually, you called the day you received your kit stating it was not working. In a few minutes, we determined your brake lever was not in the rested position and once corrected to motor spun up. I told you if you have further problems to create a ticket. You created a ticket a few days later about the BT device, I responded but you did not. This week I am on vacation and only checking in once in a while. Most times I am out of phone range, but I did just check the tickets again and no response from you yet.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 06:30:39 PM »
I never did get a follow up reply from the Support Ticket, so I'm unsure what I should do now ? Wait it out ?

We have spoken on the phone and I have answered your ticket. Not sure why you are saying all this. Must be some sort of misunderstanding.

Gary

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 06:54:59 PM »
We have spoken on the phone and I have answered your ticket. Not sure why you are saying all this. Must be some sort of misunderstanding.

Gary

Hi Gary, I made that post yesterday. At the time of the post, I had not gotten a second reply to the orginal ticket. What I mean is. I made a ticket, you replied with how to update the controller. I did as such, and replied again. From that point on, I never heard back from you, regrading the orginal ticket.

As for the second ticket, I do see the reply. However, the above reply is after I made the post above, yesterday. So yes, I think there seems to be a communication breakdown.

I hope I have explained myself clearly enough.  ;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 12:57:05 AM »

Gary

Hi Gary, I made that post yesterday. At the time of the post, I had not gotten a second reply to the orginal ticket. What I mean is. I made a ticket, you replied with how to update the controller. I did as such, and replied again. From that point on, I never heard back from you, regrading the orginal ticket.

As for the second ticket, I do see the reply. However, the above reply is after I made the post above, yesterday. So yes, I think there seems to be a communication breakdown.

I hope I have explained myself clearly enough.  ;)

It seems silly to keep doing this but here is another screenshot of the same ticket. As you can see my response is the last. I use osticket because nothing can be edited deleted or changed. Everything is encrypted. There is no way to edit them. I do this so there is an absolute unchangable history of an issue. Perhaps you thought you sent another response but it is not there. Maybe it got timed out and was never saved. You can go to the ticket and see for yourself, there is nothing there

BTW I did not tell you how to update the controller. I told you it is likely not going to do anything as the upgrade issue for Bluetooth was with the very first mp5 controllers that came out two years ago.

You started a new ticket yesterday and I replied to that one this morning.

Anyway no big deal. Let's continue this in the ticket system. That is why its there. :)

Gary

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 01:14:54 AM »
Very strange! I know I replied, and I can't find the orginal email for the first ticket. I opened your first screenshot, but for whatever reason I didn't seem to notice the lack of my reply back to you. My bad!!

Regrading the Dongle.. I think I misread your reply. Either way the controller is updated. I'm going to send back the BT dongle Tomorrow. You should get it sometime next week, likely early as I like to send stuff like that with tracking so Canada post doesn't loose it, as they tend to at times. 

Question for you or anyone really, regrading the Smart Display. Can you program the controller as you could with the AP on the phone ? I'm going to assume it plugs into the same spot the Dongle would ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: BAC-601 Smart Display
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »
As far as I am aware, the BAC-601 Smart Display unit cannot be used to adjust the main controller settings, it is purely used to monitor the battery level, speed, mileage, voltage and power in real time as well as selecting power levels for the Pedelec (PAS).

More details of the available functions can be found in the BAC-601 User's Guide.

Yes, the Smart Display does plug into the same connector as the Bluetooth dongle and USB programming lead, but only one of these three items can be connected at any one time.

It would be great if the Smart Display unit had a touch screen allowing the controller to be programmed directly, and preferably a built in Bluetooth receiver so that a Smartphone could then be used in addition to the Smart Display, but I don't know if this useful option has even been considered by GM.

Alan