Author Topic: 12v Motorcycle Headlight Install question  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Rambler

• Confirmed
12v Motorcycle Headlight Install question
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:11:48 PM »
Hi, I want to install this to my ebike and I have a MP5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6VUXR1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I understand that this is a 12v and I have a 48v batt.

My question is that what's the voltage that comes out of the "light" wire?

Has anyone else (I am sure SOMEONE has) made a 12v headlight work on their ebike?

Any help would be truly awesome.

Thanks everyone and have a great ride.

Thank you

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 12v Motorcycle Headlight Install question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 12:08:46 AM »
The thin red "Light" feed wire is fed with full battery voltage via the switch on the throttle, which would be too much for that headlamp unless you swap the 12V H4 halogen bulb for a 6-80V LED H4 bulb.

The main beam indicator bulb would need to be removed (or would require a 2.2kOhm 2Watt resistor in series if it's a 12v LED indicator bulb).

You would also need a Hi/Low switch in addition to the on/off light switch.

You could power that headlamp with the original 12V halogen bulb from your 48V battery if you used a suitable DC:DC converter to drop the voltage from 48V to 12V.

Alan

Offline Rambler

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 04:00:06 AM »
Alan,

Once again THANK YOU.

I found this one on Amazon and it will be here on Monday!

https://www.amazon.com/Racbox-Motorcycle-Headlamp-Motorbike-Headlight/dp/B014QZ131E/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1503114508&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=12W+H4+LED+Motorcycle

May I assumption that IF I don't use the "high beam" I will NOT need a High/Low "switch"?

Thank you Alan!

Rambler

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »
If you don't intend to use the high beam continuously, you could simply connect the high beam wire to the thin yellow horn feed and then use the horn button as a high beam flash.

Don't forget to also disconnect or remove the 12V Hi beam indicator bulb inside the headlamp unit.  ;)

Alan

Offline Rambler

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
Alan,

Please consider running in 2020. You got my vote!

Thank you sir!

Rambler

Offline Rambler

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 11:44:25 PM »
If you don't intend to use the high beam continuously, you could simply connect the high beam wire to the thin yellow horn feed and then use the horn button as a high beam flash.

Don't forget to also disconnect or remove the 12V Hi beam indicator bulb inside the headlamp unit.  ;)

Alan

Alan,

LOW beam works PERFECT!

I hooked up the high beam to the yellow wire as you recommended. It doesn't "flash" or anything. But thats OK! I'm just happy it works! Will post picture in a bit .

Thank you!

Offline Rambler

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:14:38 AM »
Ummm YEAH IT WORKS! (high beam) but only when the light is"off"  ;D Prolly what you meant.

Noobie here <-----<< 

THANK YOU!

Offline Rambler

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:54:25 AM »
Let there be LIGHT!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »
Ummm YEAH IT WORKS! (high beam) but only when the light is"off"  ;D Prolly what you meant.

According to the specifications for that bulb, it should have two separate LED sections (one for high beam and one for low beam):

Power=12w(high beam 6w, low beam 6w)

The low beam should be connected to the lighting switch and the high beam should be connected to the horn button.

I would have expected the High beam LED to have worked in addition to the low beam, as many bikes are equipped with a headlamp flash button which allows the headlamps to still be flashed even while they are on Low beam.

It sounds like that bulb can only run one beam at a time, but not both together.  :(

Unlike the halogen bulbs they are meant to replace, Many 12V H4 LEDs have the Low beam come on with the main beam:
E.g. the High beam would be 12W (6W High + 6W Low LEDs combined) but the Low beam is just 6W when it operates on its own.
In this case, the headlamp flash would light both High and Low LEDs if you flashed the lights without low beam being on already.

Unfortunately, many of the Chinese LED bulb manufacturers do not seem to understand the importance of the LED's operation, and some are even oblivious to the LED's critical positioning, as it should be located at the precise focal point of the headlamp's reflector like the filaments are in a conventional halogen bulb, or it will not produce the correctly focused beam pattern .  ::)

Is your headlamp brighter when using one switch compared to the other, and/or does the beam pattern actually change similar to the patterns shown on the above picture?

Alan

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:32:58 PM by Bikemad »