Author Topic: Magic Pie 3 Regen Noise  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Adam319

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 3 Regen Noise
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
Hey Guys, got a question on my MP3. When use the brakes it has a squeal to them. I disconnected rear brakes, and I think it is coming from the hub itself. Is this normal for regen braking? I am the only one I know around here with one, and it is one of the issues I need to get sorted out with my system.

Thanks
Adam

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III Regen Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:22:40 PM »
Hi Adam andto the forum.

The regen itself should not squeal as there should be nothing physically touching, it is solely the magnetic forces between the magnets and the laminated steel stator that cause the dynamic braking effect during regen.

Try unplugging both brake switch wires from the control harness and see if the noise disappears.

Check that both of the axle nuts are still nice and tight, if one was loose, it could allow the wheel to move allowing the tyre to rub against the frame, or the brake pads/blocks to rub against the brake disc/wheel rim.

Alan

Offline Adam319

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »
ah yes good basic troubleshooting. Thanks for the idea. Why didn't I think of that? I will try this afternoon and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Offline Adam319

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:09:32 AM »
So after doing that the noise went away. I remounted the brakes for the 10th time and finally the noise is at a tolerable level. Not gone, but hardly there.