Author Topic: New member with Magic Pie  (Read 7934 times)

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
New member with Magic Pie
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »
Hello;My name is vinney and I just bought a used Magic Pie 2 I think I couldnt seem to get any info on the motor and when I tried to find out about the controller ( BAC-0283P on face-on back BAC-028X EXT-batch no. 20130620-7 ) I couldnt find out anything as well-so that led
me to join register to this forum.Can anyone shed some light on my search for the identity of my kit?Thanks.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New member with Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
Hi Vinney andto the forum.

It does sound like you have a Magic Pie II which should look like the one on the left:

The one on the right is an MPIII, which externally looks identical to the MP4 and MP5 with the exception of the controller.

The original Magic Pies had conventionally spaced spoke holes and the spokes were crossed as shown here:

The MPII and the MPIII were both available with external controllers:

Although several original Pies (the ones with the crossed spokes) were converted by their owners to accept external controllers.

Your controller should look similar to this:

These controllers are all suitable for use with 24V~48V batteries and also have a built in cruise control function, but not many of them had the advertised anti-theft function.

Hopefully you can now determine which Magic Pie you actually have.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:10:56 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
Thank you Alan;the wheels you showed me bothad the wiresrunning from theside of the axle mine
wiring runs out from the hollowed centre of the axle and the spokes don't cross each other.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:39:14 AM »
So, it sounds like you don't actually have a Magic Pie at all. ???

Does your motor looks like this?:

The one on the left is the older style HBS motor (PRO901) and the one on the right is the newer style HBS motor.

As yours has the hollow axle, it might also be a Black Magic motor:

Alan

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »
Alan it has a thick black smooth wire coming out of the center like the one pic on the upper right
only it looks like a Magic Pie on both sides but one side has the option to attach a disc brake
and on the smooth surface of the edge where the spokes attach to the motor is a oval silver tag
that that says www.goldenmotor.ca/void if removed around the outer side of the tag and in the
center    105584
              warranty   The controller is BAC-0283P/105587 and the bottom of controller BAC-028X-ext
                                                                                                                                      BATCH-20130620-7
I hope you can help me to also discover voltage I can use on this it seems to bog down when I use
48 volt battery,Thanks,Vince

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:57:17 PM »
I have never seen a Magic Pie with the wires exiting from the end of a hollow axle, so it will be interesting to find out exactly which motor you have, but it sounds like it isn't a Black Magic motor after all.

When you say, "it looks like a Magic Pie on both sides", does it have the raised turbine pattern on the covers?
If you can post a picture of your motor, it should help us to identify it.

I have done some research on the controller part nos. and it seems that your particular controller would have been originally intended for 24V use:
- BAC-0281P 36v
- BAC-0282P 48v
- BAC-0283P 24V

Unfortunately, you won't be able to see what the actual settings are without the correct USB programming cable.

Hopefully Gary (GM Canada) will be able to let us know what this motor is, as it appears to have been originally supplied by him.

Alan

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 02:16:30 PM »
Hi Alan,im sending you some photos I hope will be enough info for you to identify
just what system I have,24v works well 36v works too but im concerned about motor
 maybe get too hot ,anything you can share with me will definitely be appreciated.Do
you and gary communicate,if need be will you share this email and photos with him if
it will help identify my components. Six photos in total. Thanks Alan.

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
Photo 2/6

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »
Photo 3/6

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »
Photo 4/6

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 02:29:01 PM »
Photo 5/6

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
Photo 6/6

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 11:06:31 PM »
After seeing your photos, I'm now pretty sure that your motor is actually a Smart Pie:

You can see that your motor is slightly different to my front and rear Smart Pies, but both of mine have internal controllers and therefore do not have the hollow axle:

I did not realised that the external Smart Pie was so different to the internal ones, as the picture on the GM website does not show the wire exiting the axle.

The Smart Pie on the right is a lot smaller and less powerful than the Magic Pie II shown on the left:

As the Smart Pie is not so powerful, it will probably need some pedal assistance to help it up steeper hills.
Although, your 20" wheel should produce 35% more forward thrust propelling the bike than my 700c (27") Smart Pie.

The Smart Pie and the BAC-0283P controller should both run fine on 24V, 36V or 48V, as long as the controller is not drawing more than ~18 Amps maximum.
Above 18 Amps, the motor begins to run less efficiently and will generate a lot more heat under sustained heavy load.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:09:58 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Vinney

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 10:19:23 PM »
Thanks again Alan;What are the chances of getting a wiring diagram for this controller,Itried using a 48v battery but it seams
to bog down and if I wait a minute or so it resets itself,dont know what to make of it,im going to try 36volts to see if the same
thing  happens (im wondering if it bogs down because like you said -perhaps the amp draw is over 18ahs),Vinney.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 11:22:48 PM »
You can download a pdf copy of the wiring diagram here.

Without being able to monitor the Volts and Amps under load, it is difficult to say what is causing it to bog down.

What type of battery are you using and how old is it?

Also, make sure the controller is not getting too hot during use (especially if it is enclosed in a bag etc. away from cooling air) as this may affect the power output when the controller gets too hot.

Alan