Author Topic: Is it possible to purchase and install MP5 controller instead of the current MP4  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Hello Alan,
Occasionally I follow suggested that you give the forum,
General information: I have a motor MP4 + 48v battery.
1. Is it possible to purchase and install MP5 controller instead of the current MP4?
2. Is there a justification or a substantial advantage to that?
3. What is the cost of the controller when buying directly from China?
4. The installation process is relatively simple or very complex (I installed the kit on my bike)?
5. What are the essential advantages make such a process if at all?
Thank you,
Abe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
  • It should be possible to purchase and install an MP5 controller (and Bluetooth dongle) into an MP4 motor to upgrade it to an MP5 as the controller and Bluetooth dongle are the only differences between the two versions
  • The MP5 controller (combined with the plug in Bluetooth dongle) allows monitoring and programming of the controller via Bluetooth connection using a compatible Smart phone (currently Android 4.4 onwards)
  • You would need to contact sales@goldenmotor.com and ask for a price.
  • Swapping the controllers should be a relatively simple task (check out Gary's MPIII controller swap video to see how it's done)
    However, if your controller has different connectors for the phase wires and Hall sensor connections, you may need to change these connectors on your motor to match the controller.
  • The only advantage is the Bluetooth connectivity, but fitting the MP5 controller could also prove to be inconvenient if you already have a BAC-601 Smart Display unit, as some (or possibly all) of the MP5 controllers are not compatible with the Smart  LCD Display unit

Alan

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Thanks Alan,
If so, is it true to say that the purchase of BAC-601 Smart Display unit provides a solution nearly identical and cheaper cost in relation to the replacement mp5 controller + Bluetooth dongle?
I performed examination, replacement of controller + Bluetooth dongle cost 310$, compared to BAC-601 Smart Display unit  cost about 60$ ..
* Is the price in relation to the benefits worth it?
* Where am I wrong?
Thank you,
Abe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Although the BAC-601 Display unit provides a digital speedometer, it does not allow you to modify any of the controller parameters during a trip like the Bluetooth application does.

The biggest problem I find with the BAC-601 Display unit is that it does not retain any of the trip data when the battery is turned off, the odometer is the only information that isn't lost.

If you are using a pedelec sensor, the separate mode selection button unit that comes with the BAC-601 is probably easier and more convenient to use by feel alone instead of having to look to see exactly where to press on a phone display.
Because the BAC-601 Display unit and mode selection switch is permanently fitted to the bike, you will never set off on a trip without it. Whereas with the Bluetooth option, if you go for a ride without your phone, you will not be able to adjust the level of pedelec assistance or log any details of the trip.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:39:36 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Thanks and Merry Christmas
Abe