Author Topic: Help required to wire in PAS pedelec sensor Smart Pie  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Degrieve

• Confirmed
Help required to wire in PAS pedelec sensor Smart Pie
« on: September 26, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »
Hi, it's Michael from Melbourne just starting with ebike transport. I've just made my first Smart Pie 5 ebiike and have decided to wire in the PAS sensor. Unfortunately despite research I can't work out how to get it to work and I'm looking for advice. I have a black, red and green wire from the PAS sensor and I need to connect to 3? - I assume- Of the wires coming from the motor, the red, black, blue and yellow. I've assumed red to red and black to black but tried green to yellow and then blue but doesn't seem to work. When I test it by double pressing the cruise control button, I don't get the beep signifying PAS sensor is working. Picture below.

Any pointers for a newbie?

Thanks in advance
Mdeg
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:56:35 AM by Degrieve »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Help required to wire in PAS pedelec sensor Smart Pie
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »
Hi Michael andto the forum.

If you look at the following diagram you will see that the Pedelec sensor wire connects to the yellow wire on the motor harness (The Blue is used for the Reverse function):

Double pressing the cruise button does not work with the Magic Pie internal controllers and there is nothing to beep either. ;)

The pedelec on the Magic Pie 4 would work automatically when you start pedalling and was not adjustable during a ride unless you had the BAC-601 Smart Display Unit. (The handlebar mounted "Mode" button is used to select different power levels):

As the MP5 controller is optimised for the Bluetooth control, I don't know whether the pedelec will work without selecting a PAS power level from the Smart Phone App:

The default setting is "0" which means the pedelec will not work until a level between 1~5 is selected.

You may find that the pedelec will work at a set level if there is no Bluetooth connection (like the MP4 does if the Smart Display is not connected), but I'm just guessing that it might work that way.

You should be able to test the pedelec by pedalling in a low gear to see if the motor cuts in.

Adjusting the PAS ratio setting in the controller settings will affect the amount of pedelec assistance given by the motor in relation to the pedal rpm (Cadence).

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:22:08 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Degrieve

• Confirmed
Re: Help required to wire in PAS pedelec sensor Smart Pie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 11:59:06 PM »
Hi Alan, thanks very much for the feedback, I'll give this a crack and update my post. All the best mdeg