Author Topic: New member with Magic Pie questions  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Druss1

• Confirmed
New member with Magic Pie questions
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »
Hi All

Im having built a short wheelbase tadpole trike, due to disabilities it is electric power ONLY no pedals or gears.

I need a wheel that can run both fowards and in reverse, so I can reverse the trike if I need to. 

I see that the Magic Pie 4 has reverse, is this activated by a seperately bought switch or just programmed into one of the 5 speed settings?

Which Magic Pie would be better 400w or 1000w? im 101kg lightning speed or acceleration is not important but I do need the grunt to get me up hills in Devon, longest journeys will be 20k round trip max.

thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New member with Magic Pie questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:09:27 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

A separate switch is required to operate the reverse function, but it is a relatively easy job to fit as it is just a simple two contact switch that simply joins two wires to activate reverse.

The speed settings are only for the Pedelec, which won't be of any use to you without pedals.

The maximum power of the Magic Pie is determined by the battery voltage and controller settings, as the same motor is used for different voltages (24V, 36V and 48V).

What size wheel are you planning to use?

Alan

P.S. Whereabouts in sunny Devon are you located?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:58:10 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Druss1

• Confirmed
Re: New member with Magic Pie questions
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
Hi Alan , I live on outskirts of Plymouth, wish it was bloody sunny!  :(

Im going to use a 26" wheel at the back, probably going for a 48v 20ah battery to give it a chance to last as it will be doing all the work.

Are you saying that the 5 lcd settings only work when a pedalec is connected?

I need to have a max speed setting for pavement use, road use and one for mayhem.

Also need a crawl speed but read somewhere that can be done using resistors and potentiometer, or has there been a software update that allows sub 100 rpm?