Author Topic: 24Volt battery on original MP now weak. Can I replace with 48V?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Bernie

• Confirmed
24Volt battery on original MP now weak. Can I replace with 48V?
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:40 AM »
I have used a bike fitted with the original Magic Pie ,daily for nearly 4 years it has never failed. Now my question is can I simply buy a more powerful battery and charger or do I have to get the throttle upgraded or do other modifications?

Offline Bernie

• Confirmed
Treat me as if I was Forest Gump, I need to know something
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:53 AM »
I wish to put a new battery on a MK1 Magic Pie. The one on it is a 24 Volt job which is now as weak as Cat's urine.

My question is this:

Can I put a more powerful battery in its place by simply slotting it on, or do I need a new throttle and other modifications? The early (2009) model had an internal controller (whatever that is) and some minor issues with alignment to the bike but was (in my case) totally bulletproof.

Can someone who has done this let me know?

Bernie

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 24Volt battery on original MP now weak. Can I replace with 48V?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »

Hi Bernie,

Yes, you can simply fit either a 36V or 48V battery to your Pie to boost the speed and power, but the LED battery gauge on the throttle might not appreciate it. If you're lucky, it will just get very warm and the LEDs will not go out as the battery capacity is used up, but if you're unlucky, the extra voltage might blow the battery gauge side of the throttle, but at least the throttle would still work correctly. ;)

You basically have four main options:
  • Replace the throttle with one that has the correct voltage battery gauge to suit your new battery.
  • Fit a 5K variable resistor into the battery gauge supply lead (should be the green wire) and adjust it to suit.
  • Simply unplug the battery gauge connector and tape it up so it will not work.
  • Continue to use the existing battery gauge as a "Power On" indicator and hope that it doesn't die too quickly (not recommended):o

The decision is yours.  :)

Alan