Author Topic: Magic Pie only running at 17mph?! 48v 12ah battery seems to be working  (Read 8330 times)

Offline magicaffair

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie only running at 17mph?! 48v 12ah battery seems to be working
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
Thanks BIKEMAD for your detailed advice.

I tried shorting together the wires as you suggested, Blue and Green produces no resistance, nor Did Yellow Green, But shorting the Blue and Yellow wires caused a very lumpy wheel!! (the braking effect you described)  So I take it this means the Green connector has a  fault somewhere along the line!!

I traced it along and it goes to a black wire which heads down into the pie itself, so I'm going to replace as much of this wire as I can (down to wheel itself) with fresh wire. If this doesn't work, then I gues I'm going to have to open the pie (again) and replace the whole loom for this wire. Does this sound okay to you?

Thanks again for the stirling advice! Will resolve this, can't wait to get my pie going I've only seen 18mph so far :o

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »

If you can easily access the wires at the motor end, try shorting the green and yellow or green and blue together and see if there is any resistance on the wheel.
If the wheel still turns easily there must be a brake in the wire between the motor connection and where it is soldered onto the end of the windings inside the motor.
If the wheel is lumpy, the fault is somewhere in the wire between the connection on the motor and the controller.

At least you've found a definite fault, which hopefully will be easy to sort now. ;)

Alan

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
Hi Folks,

When I was a Lotus  owner,  one of the bad phrases I learned was "DPO", Dreaded Previous Owner"  .  And the phrase came to mind the instant I saw your photos.  Follow Alan's suggestions , and I would  disconnect, inspect, and remake every  one of the bullet connections.  And it wouldn't hurt a thing to neaten up the tangle of wires. 

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »
And looking closer at the photos, I see tape in the middle of wires.  I would inspect them, as well. 

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline magicaffair

• Confirmed
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »
Hi again, I have finally tested the kit with an ohmeter... findings-

Hall sensor wires all showing between 0-5v when turning wheel slowly = good I think?!
Battery showing 50v = Good!
So now I'm going to take the pie apart and re-solder a new wiring loom from inside the motor for the faulty green phase wire that was causing the lumpy wheel.. I'm hoping this will solve it as I've eliminated a lot of other potential problems!! Don't think it's a hall sensor anymore...

P.s. Bikemad I think you are on the money :) seems like the phase wire inside the motor is at fault, as I've replaced wiring down to the outside of the pie with no noticeable difference :( Time to open the pie I think and rewire it... fingers crossed
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:18:50 AM by magicaffair »

Offline magicaffair

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »
Hey guys, just to update, I took the motor apart, and found a loose connection on the suspected wire... have resoldered and tidied up all the wires and now she's working!! Throttle lifted off into massive wheelspin when tested  ;D

Thanks for all your help great work. Will be back if I need any advice in the future... mucho gracias!!

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 07:44:52 PM »
YAAAAAYYYYY!  Your PIE works!!!!!!!

I'm glad to hear it.

Isn't Alan just a genius?

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline magicaffair

• Confirmed
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
Yes thanks you Alan you did great!

Now I have a new issue :o top throttle light goes out when I accelerate?? Battery showing 50v and fully charged... I did tidy up some of the wiring ... is there anything I may have tampered with?? I was getting ok range before so am bewildered as to why the light going out as soon as I throttle up??