Author Topic: sensor/sensorless  (Read 3339 times)

Offline kmleon77

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
sensor/sensorless
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »
hi just  a question
is the controller of the MP sensored or sensorless
is the motor sensor or sensorless
may be these are not the right terms but  think I need to be fixed with this
mix up everything
thanks
fred
so if I want to change my controller should it be sensored or sensorless
and if I want to use the MP controller with another motor : shoud the motor be sensored or sensorless
thanks
fred
2 MP external controllers and 1 MP internal (avatar)
2 VTT for fun and one yuba to take my children to school
all this with 48V10Ah lipo batteries
waiting for MP3 : is it going to be more powerfull ?????

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: sensor/sensorless
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »
Hi Fred,

The Magic Pie is equipped with Hall Sensors, so it can be used with either sensor controlled or sensorless brushless motor controllers.

The Magic Pie's controller usually works in sensor controlled mode, but will automatically switch to sensorless mode if one or more of the sensors fail.
It should therefore possible to use the Pie's controller with other direct drive brushless hubmotors, whether they are equipped with Hall Sensors or not.

The biggest problem with operating the GM controller in sensorless mode is that the motors don't usually start on their own when the throttle is operated, so they need to be turning before the throttle will work.
This unfortunately prevents the GM controllers from working with geared motors that contain a unidirectional clutch mechanism (an internal freewheel device that prevents the wheel from turning the motor, virtually eliminating all of the mechanical and magnetic drag from the gears and motor while coasting or pedalling without motor assistance).

Some of the more recent sensorless controllers are able to start the motor from stationary, but I don't think the majority of sensorless controllers are able to do this. Also, some sensorless controllers don't work very well with high rpm geared motors.

Alan

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:56:25 AM by Bikemad »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: sensor/sensorless
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
I have a new sensorless infineon working with the pie, it will start from stop, and really is not distinguishable from the standard infineon controllers :)........works equally well on both....

I believe that this controller will also work with higher wind count geared motors, but not the lower wind ( faster speed) count ones......like the mac speed version, something to do with the higher wind count being able to generate a higher back  emf pulse ( how the controller figures out where it is, signal going back through the redundant 3rd phase wire)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute