Author Topic: mp question  (Read 12322 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: mp question
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
Hello again Nooby,

I really don't understand what happened here. Before I shipped it, I tested it and it worked fine. It was still on one of my bikes and being used regularly. I am not 100 percent clear on the problem. You say "it spins but no beeps or throttle". What does that mean? Do you mean you spin it by hand or it spins on its own? You can ship it back to me and I’ll refund you. But considering the cost was only about 70 dollars it will cost more to ship with the Canada Post strike then its worth. Can you check the continuity of the 8 pin wire harness to see if all the wires are still good?

Gary

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »
hi gary,its firing up through 24v wot only on electric power,people have asked does the mp beep? ive never heard anything from the hub while adding power or plugging unplugging the throttle ever. im going to go get a new throttle mon-tues,and start there,then check the multiple pin adapter on the output for accessories.

im in this far so I will keep going,thanks for having good business sense,ive read nothing but good about you,and thats why I purchased from you.i will fix this somehow 8).my guess is the cable from the connector, but when working with electrics anything is possible.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »
Hi All

Gary, was it set for 48V, could LVC be wrong ?...maybe not, reading whole thread, but how was your setup ??? controller etc

Just a guess....
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »
Hmm, Gingy has a good point there.

I assume you are going to run it at 48 volts so why not try that before "stripping it down". I was running it at 48 volts and I believe you told me you were going to run it at 48 volts, so I never even considered doing anything with the configuration.

Gary
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:47:04 PM by spellchecker »

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 02:30:46 AM »
 :o.i thought 24 36 48v didnt matter which one you used.didnt want to damage the 36v,with the motor controller acting funny, so I configured a 24v sla pack for trial runs.im going to get a throttle monday so tests will continue.the wheel spun up fine at wot,but thats all the settings I had on-off by plugging the throttle in partway.i did say I wanted to use 36v girly voltage.
maybe I will solder the throttle connections if I can get a white wire signal?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 03:27:03 AM »
Hi Nooby

I'm sure the forum here can get you all up and running :)

I was a little curious about the throttle, when you say WOT I assume you mean 'wide open throttle' - in this case the controller will not power the wheel when its switched on with open throttle. So if you powered the unit up, with open throttle, and tested the white wire it would read 0v as the 5v power would have been cut by the controller.

If when you power up the wheel, and then fully depress the throttle, and only then the wheel spins then I would assume it is the throttle itself, and not the connection. Just to be sure you can solder the wire here. I don't think you are using a GM throttle? Not that it matters so much, but it could hopefully be as unlucky as using the wrong throttle

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 04:00:39 AM »
hey monkeymagic,the connection from the wiring harness for throttle white wire, reads zero,even if I unplug the battery to reset,now I know nothing about mp,but im learning as I go, but I would assume there should be v at the throttle signal output,Bikemad says there is.the throttle itself will do nothing slow med fast.just wot wide open throttle,when partially plugged in,and wot when fully plugged in.

but I will check the output plug comin outta the motor tuesday and have a new throttle then.so we will see if I can troubleshoot the problem.as far as past motor controllers go, if it spins there is something amiss with signal and not hub.i gotta go read what you typed again to answer correctly what you asked and or said ;D.maybe the answer is there?thanks

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 06:36:23 AM »
Hi noobs

With regards to the configuration, even though the controller will run on different voltages, the voltage setting sets the lowest voltage that the controller will run on , to protect the battery...if the controller is set to 48V, then it wont run below 42V....

you may in fact be dealing with 2 seperate problems that appear to be one :D

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 01:25:24 AM »
well I just wired up a new throttle,but im guessing I need to buy a dollar store usb cable worth 50 bucks :o.in order to change to 36v.anybody have one they would lend me,i can put full money purchase in holding since im a gmnooby.then I can figure out the throttle problem.ow ya no shipping here!damn it.

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 03:28:02 AM »
ok I put anderson power poles on the motor + -output lead.new throttle 24v wot,41.7v dead.so im probably past lvc of 48v setting.guess I gotta open the motor up and reconfig? im frustrated to say the least :-[.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »
whereaboutsdo you live, or did I miss that in the post ??

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
Nooby, I'm not convinced the controller is set at 48V, as you have already had it running on 24V.

You should be able to carry out a simple test to see if the throttle circuit on the motor side is OK by connecting a small piece of wire (reshaped paper clips work well for this) between pins no 4 and 6 on the 8 pin motor socket which should make the motor run at full speed:

Make sure the wheel is raised off the ground and that the power is turned on before you insert the wire.
Be very careful to only put it into the correct holes or you could damage the controller or wiring.

This diagram shows the wiring on my early Magic Pie, but as least it shows where contacts 4 and 6 are located:

Click image to view full size.

If the motor spins, this would indicate that the speed controller and the motor wiring harness are OK.

If this works as expected, remove the wire and plug the main wiring harness back in, and then repeat the same test, but use the red and white wire connections on the throttle connector instead.

If the motor does not spin when 4 and 6 are linked, it could be due to a controller fault or a break (or short) somewhere along the thin red wire which runs between the controller and the socket.

With the throttle disconnected, the motor should run at half speed when you connect the cruise control wires together with a wire link.

Let us know what you find.

whereaboutsdo you live, or did I miss that in the post ??

Ginge, it was mentioned earlier, but I'll give you a little clue to save you having to look back through the posts:

Alan

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:41:42 AM by Bikemad »

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 01:35:03 PM »
ok tests performed 24v.i bridged 4 and 6 at the plugin and its wot,wide open throttle.then at throttle plug red white,wide open throttle.then cruise control is dead no movement.

edit-if I completely plug in throttle connection -its dead,throttle will not work.but just touching connector its wot.

edit-if I plug in my lithium 41.0v nothing works.its a top grade fully functional factory battery.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:47:29 PM by gm nooby »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »

I suspect you may either have a poorly crimped connection on one of the throttle connector pins/sockets, or the throttle unit itself could be faulty or incorrectly wired.

Push the negative voltmeter probe into the back of the pedelec connector (the large white three pin connector) where the black wire goes in, and it should stay there on its own, making a good ground connection for the meter.

Re-check the voltages of all three connections on both sides of the throttle connector (main harness and throttle lead) with the positive probe:

Red +5V supply should be ~5V
Black ground connection should be 0V
White (throttle signal) should be ~1V with the throttle released and >3.25V with throttle held wide open.

Alan

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
the throttle is good.i just noticed when I got sick of testing with the pedelec ground,i dropped the whole harness and the wheel started spinning, I can tell there is a short in the line somewhere.im pissed right now,my back is getting strained from all this Magic Pie workout. ??? &**&.