Author Topic: 12V Lights and Horns - Magic Pie 3 36V Kit  (Read 4606 times)

Offline SparkyNZ

• Confirmed
12V Lights and Horns - Magic Pie 3 36V Kit
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
Hi. Does the Magic Pie 3 kit provide a 12V line of any sort that I could use to drive some 12V LED turning indicators? I've noticed there are a number of unused wires on the wiring harness and thought perhaps I could use one of those?

Thanks
Paul

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 12V Lights and Horns - Magic Pie III 36V Kit
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »
Hi Paul, unfortunately there is no 12V supply on the harness, so you would need to use a suitable DC-DC converter to power your indicators etc.:

Fixed 12V output of up to 3A (36 Watts).

This one is more compact and has an adjustable output voltage but only has 15 Watts maximum output (1.25A @ 12V)

You would also need a low current LED flasher unit to operate the LED indicators or you would probably overload the DC-DC converter:

I also suggest that you use a compact lightweight low current piezo type buzzer instead of the heavier high current motorcycle type electromagnetic horn, also to avoid overloading the DC-DC converter.

Or perhaps a 12V siren if you're looking for something a bit louder:

Simply click on the above pictures for more details.

Alan

Offline AdamB

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 11:12:04 PM »
Just a thought but I find the existing bike alarms/horns/bells inefficient, pitifully quiet, ineffective,wasteful, etc...

A while back at Canadian Tire, I found a "Variable, Reusable & Refillable Air Horn" that sells with the standard bike pump.

It lasts near indefinitely without use & about a minute full to empty (dozens of microbursts), weighs almost nothing, uses no power, near indestructible & very noticeable (even lowest setting!

It's also made from predominately recycled materials & costs about $25. Especially great as an alternative to the pointless, annoying horns on powerchairs...

I'll try to post a link to it...

Adam
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:43:27 PM by AdamB »

Offline AdamB

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:39:31 PM »
Alright... The name I was thinking of is called eco blast, they have a wide line of sizes & options (the other brand is "zoomer" but it's far more expensive then ecoblasts options).

Also it seems Canadian tire is the cheapest option I saw (less then half) but I saw the price has gone up (+$10 to now $25) since I bought mine like 8 years ago (still going strong) at $15.

I've included a link to the Canadian tire page but there's loads of sellers & I didn't do a comprehensive search, so there maybe better choices!

You can fill it with a bike pump or compressor/tire fill station just be careful not to over-pressurize it as some gauges are radically off! Mine also came with a nice compact hand pump that most people like to borrow (as its so light/small/easy)...

Also, I don't know if this is still the case, but they used to make a donation to a charity for every product purchased. They are also certified by the coast guard as accepted safety equipment! Be sure to check your local laws to confirm air horns are allowed where you are...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sports-rec/marine/marine-safety/fox-40-ecoblast-sport-rechargeable-air-horn-0792712p.html#.Vfyebr1ZTqA

Adam