Author Topic: Cannot throttle again after disengaging the throttle  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Blackjack993

• Confirmed
Cannot throttle again after disengaging the throttle
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
Hello,

My motor and my batteries were not cooperating correctly, so I hooked the motor up to a variable power supply to see what exactly is happening.

Setting the power supply at 30 volts (DC) the throttle light indicates that the battery is low but when I engage the throttle, the wheel spins (drawing about 5 amps when it's accelerating the most and while it's running it draws around 1.1 amps). Once I stop engaging the throttle and then try to reengage it, however, the voltage drops down to about .8 v and the current goes all the way up to 5.15, the whole system disengages, the light turns off on the throttle and I have to turn off my power supply and turn it back on to activate the motor. Can anyone tell me what is happening?

thank you!

Offline Lewis Balentine

• Confirmed
Re: Cannot throttle again after disengaging the throttle
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:59:26 AM »
I can not answer your question but I believe will need to provide some more information.
What motor (Smart Pie, Magic Pie, version) ?
What battery (voltage, amp hours, type) ?
You might also want to provide a screen shot of you GM configuration software settings.

Offline Blackjack993

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
The motor is a Smart Pie 4

The battery is a custom configuration made up of 3 11.1 volt batteries assembled in series so they now are 33.3 volts with 10Ah (with a max current that can be drawn set to 7 amps). 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
Quote from: Blackjack993 date=1429140052
The signal on the throttle tell me the batteries are dead and I can throttle for only a second before the entire system dies.
Are you still experiencing the original problem?

Testing with a power supply can only be carried out successfully if the power supply is capable of supplying more current than the controller is trying to draw.

If your power supply is being overloaded it may have a protection circuit that is cutting the voltage.

Alan