Author Topic: Magnetic Drag  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Ecobully

• Confirmed
Magnetic Drag
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:19:30 AM »
I went for a nice ride last week and wanted to basically pedal the entire time and not use any assist. The ride had some tough hills and was for only about 12 miles, but it was quite a workout due to the drag that the motor placed on the drive train.

Some times, the drag is very slight, but at various times after a complete stop, the drag and noise would be much more pronounced. Still, not anything that could stop me from pedaling away. The noise and drag eventually dissipated to normal levels--what could cause this? I seem to recall a similar, higher drag when my batteries were at higher levels (58.8V).

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magnetic Drag
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »
Some times, the drag is very slight, but at various times after a complete stop, the drag and noise would be much more pronounced. Still, not anything that could stop me from pedaling away. The noise and drag eventually dissipated to normal levels--what could cause this? I seem to recall a similar, higher drag when my batteries were at higher levels (58.8V).

Something doesn't sound quite right as the residual drag caused by the magnets moving past the stator should remain pretty consistent in relation to wheel speed. At very low speed, the drag is barely noticeable, but as the wheel speed increases, so does the residual drag effect.
It should make no difference whether the bike has been used consistently for hours or stood doing nothing for hours.

There should be no "physical contact" noise coming from the motor, if there is a scraping, binding or rubbing noise then it will need to be investigated to locate the cause.
There will typically be an amount of frequency induced harmonic noise coming from inside the motor as the rotating magnets cause the stator to vibrate slightly, the amount of noise is determined by the frequency of the passing magnets (i.e. wheel speed) and is not greatly affected by the amount of throttle being applied.

I suggest you carefully listen for any signs of physical contact as the wheel is rotated slowly by hand to make sure that nothing is physically rubbing internally or externally (i.e. the centre of the freewheel or tyre rubbing against frame, or insufficient clearance on the brakes etc.)

To help overcome the effect of the motor's residual magnetic drag on a long ride, try setting the cruise control slightly below your typical riding speed and the motor should only draw a small amount of power from the battery when pedalling at your typical riding speed.
However, the power being drawn from the battery will increase significantly as your speed drops down to (or falls below) the set cruise speed .

Alan

Offline Ecobully

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:55:53 AM »
Just a high pitched whining and whirring as I pedal. It's not very loud and nothing is grinding inside the motor. The resistance varies and is not always constant--easier to pedal at certain times. I trued up the wheels and adjusted the brakes to make sure all other parts of my bike where moving as freely as possible.

I did use your advice with the cruise control and that is usually how I ride my bike now (along with short spurts of full throttle). Thanks Alan!

Offline Ecobully

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »
Well after two weeks of riding to downtown Denver and back home (~27 miles), I have lost 15lbs, and pretty much back in shape to take my motorcycles to the track. I noticed that every morning when I rode my eBike (actually says "eBike" on the side), most bikers would give me dirty looks. I stopped using the assist and my bike turned into a trainer that was working me very hard with its additional weight as well as drag.

My road bike and single speed mountain bikes are rather easy when making this trip, but the eBike was grueling when pedaling uphill for miles at a time.

I do enjoy some nice cruises on the eBike still. But, I'm enjoying the effects of riding without any assist these days. It really kicked my ass into shape--literally!