Author Topic: Low-speed electric bicycle law  (Read 20469 times)

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Low-speed electric bicycle law
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 05:11:20 AM »
 I am sorry to say HI suffers from the same problems with drugs as the rest of the country, maybe even more because of the transient nature of people (some tourist come to "party" on the Islands)  :o :o

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 06:23:52 AM »
In the following revision below I've broken the table into four parts: operator, equipment, usage and records so that the verbal exceptions provided in the text can be included. Each table is reorganized according to the method of optimal classification. I had to guess at some of the data for the motorcycle so please tell me if there is anything wrong that you find.

operator (Arrest if DUI)helmet read implied consent
motorcycleyes dotyes
pocket bike mini motorcycleyes dotyes
mopedyes dotyes
electric scooter gas scooteryes bikeyes
electric assisted bikeyes bikeno
bicycleunder 16no
skateboard   skate scooterunder 16no
roller   in line skatesunder 16no
electric personal assistive mobility devicenono

equipmentmax capable speedmaximum power   wattslightsmaximum ccclutch and shift
motorcycle100 mph10000yes at night300yes
moped30 mph1428yes50no
electric scooter gas scooter24 mph1000yes at night35.01no
pocket bike mini motorcycle24+mphnayesnano
electric assisted bike20 mph750yes at nightnano
electric personal assistive mobility device15 mphnayes at nightnano
bicyclenanayes at nightnano
skateboard   skate scooternananonano
roller   in line skatesnananonano

usagemax allowed speedpassenger ride on sidewalkride on bike path laneride in crosswalkride on highway with speed limit greater than 35 mphride on private property onlyoff road onlyunsafe manner
motorcycle100 mphyesnononoyesnonona
moped30 mphnonohuman power onlynoyesnonona
electric assisted bike20 mphrestrictednoyesyesyesnonona
electric personal assistive mobility device15 mphnoyesyesyesnononoyes
electric scooter gas scooter15 mphnonoyesnoyesnonona
bicyclenarestrictedyesyesyesyesnonona
skateboard   skate scooternanoyesyesyesyesnonona
roller   in line skatesnanoyesyesyesyesnonona
pocket bike mini motorcycle0 mphnononononoyesyesna

recordsmin. age dwsinsurance license registration motorcycle endorsement
motorcycle18towyesyesyesyes
pocket bike mini motorcycle16towyesyesyesno
moped16towyesyesyesno
electric scooter gas scooter16townononono
electric personal assistive mobility device16nonononono
electric assisted bike16nonononono
bicyclenanonononono
skateboard   skate scooternanonononono
roller   in line skatesnanonononono
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:56:12 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 07:10:01 AM »
 I wonder if someone in Oregon has been charge with speeding in an electric wheelchair? Some electric chairs cane go over 15mph on flat ground. ??? 8) 8)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 07:32:19 AM »
Well I know a company planning to come out with a whole line of hub motors based on a keyed hollow hub so that they can be used for everything from wheelchairs to recumbent to wind turbines to carts. The diameters are a bit larger than the current Golden but correspondingly thinner and are designed to fit in each voltage class from 12 to 96 volts. With such a wide range of options it would not be unheard of to see a wheelchair capable of 20 MPH since Sedgeways have been clocked at over 15. I'd want to be sure I had on my helmet and other DOT protective gear.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:37:27 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 03:31:40 AM »
Under the chart you posted, a wheel chair is a personal assistive device and is limited to 15 mph, so in theory a person could recieve a citation for speeding in a wheelchair or a Sedgeway.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 04:01:04 AM »
Actually the reference may not be intended to include wheelchairs although wheelchairs may in fact have a limit of 15 MPH. I know that in the hospital I go to they have speed limit signs for wheelchairs but I have not yet looked or seen an official wheel chair capability speed limit. In fact I am saving the look for the time when I have the parts to build one and if there is no limit then I'll be sure to try and make it do 30 MPH.  ;D For now though I prefer to fantasize than to be disappointed.   ::)

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 06:40:58 AM »
When I worked at a wheelchair factory, a protype kit came in that would convert one of our chairs to a power chair. Since our wheel chair weighed only 26 lbs before the conversion, that little thing would go about 25 mph++ on a full charge. From a rolling start, you could barely keep up running at full speed just to keep even with that darn thing. As a matter of fact, if you started in high speed and were not careful at take off, it would pop a wheelie and would not recover. Thank goodness for wheelie bars or I would have went over backwards!!! ;D ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
Would it burn rubber and how much did it weigh with the batteries?

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 03:41:51 PM »
 It coundn't exactly burn rubber with solid tires, but it would leave a mark on the floor like a bad scuff mark.total weight with the kit was
about 78 lbs plus rider weight. The nice thing was that the battery pack came off , so one person could lift the chair up and put it in the back of a truck or car. with relative ease. Like I stated earlier, it had 2 speeds, 1 granny speed for around the house and 1 "street" speed for haulin around town. When Medicare changed the rules on what they would pay for lightweight wheelchairs, the company folded.

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »
About a year ago Oregon revised it's laws governing two wheeled vehicles to what is currently listed in the previous post I made. People with suspended drivers licenses were running around on gas engine skate boards, pocket mini motorcycles, and electric scooters. There were stores opening up selling electric scooters and advertising  that no license or insurance required for those with DUII license suspensions. Apparently our lawmakers didn't want our walking drunks to find a better way to get around and tightened up the laws.

Notice that you can be arrested for a DUII if your are on property accessible to the public (this includes private property) on all of the wheeled vehicles including roller/inline skates. We wouldn't want you to hurt yourself now would we?

I bet those racing wheel chairs exceed 15 MPH, but of course pedal bikes also exceed 20 MPH. When I want to get somewhere quicker I can change my speed limiter and travel at 29 MPH, but I would never do that. I have never sped, jay walked, or spit on the sidewalk.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 09:49:19 PM »
And its a good thing too with the success of the gender revolution which will lead to only one gender. You don't want to get arrested by one of those gals who knows how to turn a 20 ft stump into a 15 ft wooden bear using only a chain saw.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 07:03:18 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 06:18:20 AM »
 On the opening days when school is back in session, lots of local police step up their inforcement of the 25 mph school zone speed limit around local area schools. When they posted the stats from citations issued during the crackdown, 2 were issued to bicyclist for speeding in school zones!!