Author Topic: Battery questions  (Read 14236 times)

Offline ebikeman

• Confirmed
Battery questions
« on: September 18, 2007, 03:13:12 PM »
 I am wondering if there are any real differances in the life expectencies of a regular lead acid battery as oposed to a absorbed matt type battery that tend to be pricey compared to there starting battery brothren. I was considering useing a lawn and garden type battery that judeging from its physical size should render about 25 amp hr. capacity at around 20.00 a piece at wallmart. How ever if they don't deep cycle well the economics would go out the window. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Have a good day every one.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Battery questions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:07:02 PM »
I've used the Wal-Mart $14.95 (currently $20) lawn and garden batters for UPS and they lasted almost a year - far less than the $22.95 (currently $31.95) 12Ah SLA/AGM I've had in service now for nearly 3 years. Flooded lead acid like you can buy at either Wal-Mart or at Auto Zone for lawn/garden or motorcycles are deemed unsafe due to the possibility of acid spills whereas SLA/AGMs were designed to mitigate this problem. You do not want to be in an accident with your face pinned under a pack of leaking lead acid batteries, unless you want to live the rest of your life as if it were Halloween.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:17:24 AM »
I like my skin and limbs, so I would not use any lead acid batteries except SLA's. The risk is not worth the difference in cost.  :P

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:21:30 AM »
My understanding is they are designed with very different goals in mind.  The deep cycle are designed to give power over a long time, and have a lot of cycles.  The others are very "shallow".  They can provide a lot of amps very briefly for engine starts, but die quickly when overdischarged.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 07:16:01 AM »
Somewhere it is written that deep discharge batteries have solid lead plates whereas cranking batteries have sponge plates, with greater surface area. Marine batteries are hybrids and fall somewhere in between.

Offline ebikeman

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
 Thanks for the in put fellas. Your issues of safety are well taken, although acid burns are probably the least of my worries around here. The maniac drivers wizing past my shoulder are really more of a concern, and the effort of not becoming someones hood ornament is my primary challange. Happy trails everyone.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 03:51:08 AM »
 I do not like the idea of becoming a hood ornament or being "doored" by distracted drivers. Add in cell phones and you have a lethal combination. Keep it safe out there!!! :) :)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 04:14:51 AM »
I slow down and whistle, honk or yell to warn pedestrians and to minimize the risk of hitting them but I prefer to risk getting an $89 dollar riding-on-sidewalk fine to having a doctor remove a hood ornament from a place on my bod where the sun never shines.  ;D

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 06:12:37 AM »
Overtaking accidents are the rarest of collisions for cyclists.  Much more common are the incidents where a vehicle turning on to or off of your street fails to notice you and you hit them broadside.  Riding on sidewalks can make this kind of accident more likely, so use extra caution when crossing side streets.

I had three morons honk at me on my way to work yesterday because they thought I was in "their" lane.  This is on a posted "Bike Route" no less.  I have a hard time remembering to smile and wave.  I'll have to work on that.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 06:30:20 AM »
 Now mike, You know as I do some of those people can not read the road signs nor have a drivers licenseWe must be even more careful around grape harvest season because of the influx of field workers who may not understand California Laws.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 01:06:36 PM »
Where I live Mike is right about the most common hazard being from people getting ready to turn from a side street or parking lot, especially if you are on the left side of the road. However, all but one bridge that crosses the river has such a high and short hump that at the speed motorists travel over the bridges there is no way they could avoid hitting you if you were not on the sidewalk instead of on the side of the road. Most cops prefer not to hassle bicyclists who use the sidewalk if they are considerate of pedestrians and prefer that they not pose a risk for motorists by using the road at any speed. Be sure to use your bell, whistle, horn, lungs or electric vehicle artificial engine sound maker or all that might change.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 04:45:06 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »
 how 'bout recording a "mad" Harley track and playing it on que from a large boom box on the back rack of the bike to catch the attention of those motorist that do not notice you.(the second track could "borne to wild")  ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 12:49:03 PM »
Naw, motorists are too busy talking on their cell phones to let a little Harley rumble spoil their conversation. What does get their attention is if something is spewing out the side of your bike. Just mount a garden sprayer somewhere and rig the nozzle so that when you see a vehicle coming up from behind you can have black colored water spewing out the side of your bike. They see a spew and they'll slam on the brakes or jack knife their car to keep any of it from getting on their car. For cars whose owners don't care what gets on their car just mount a six foot piece of PVC or a fishing pole crosswise on the rear of your bike. They might not care about dirt or a wax job but a scratch is a whole different story. Dangle a 2 or 3 inch shark hook from the side that's in their lane. That will get them to steer clear for sure. ???

For people who don't care about scratches, a smoker is what to try next. They see heavy smoke coming from your bike and they figure its gonna blow and will hit the accelerator to get the heck out of there. If none of the above works then find another route. ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:41:12 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 04:14:39 PM »
One e-biker has a setup with the batteries in one fo those kid trailers.  He says the motorists eend to give him a wide berth because of it. 

Do they make "NO Baby on Board" placards?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »
Humm... mustangman, look another business opportunity... one for the placard and the other... well I just bought a cross bean for the stub axles I got last week made out of 1/2" galvanized pipe. Had to buy a pipe cutter too since Home Depot no longer cuts galvanized pipe and it looks like all Home Depot is going to be selling is remote controlled stainless barbecue grills, stainless kitchen and laundry appliances, high prices riding mowers, kitchen cabinets, color matched paint, etc. and is getting rid of all the rest now that they have a female in charge who saw the pipe cutting machine, said "Hey what is this thing for? Do we really need this cluttering up the aisle? I don't think so. Get rid of it and if anybody needs whatever it does send then to wherever it ends up." You could make a fortune just selling the stuff Home Depot is getting rid off - like 4mm x 12mm hex head screws - the kind that hold the hub motor covers on.   8)

Hey mustangman. Let us know when you are ready to offer us some stock!.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 05:57:16 PM by myelectricbike »