Author Topic: 48v controller with which motor  (Read 8115 times)

Offline Mel in HI

• Confirmed
48v controller with which motor
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:54:13 AM »
This may sound like a dumb question, but I see the 48 volt regenerative controller listed, but only a 24 and 36 volt motor?  Are they mating the controller to the 36 volt motor?

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: 48v controller with which motor
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 02:08:58 AM »
 The 36 volt motor will run on 48 volts(and some of us run it on 42 volts). The only drawback is the wiring to the motor is prone to melting, therefore nesistating replacement with a heavier gauge of wire. myelectricbike is the resident expert because he has melted more wires than cheese on a pizza.  ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 03:53:30 AM »
Oh... So... Lo... Me... Oh...  ??? What'sa yoozsa guysa esspect, ...huh? ;D

I don't have clue.   :-X

If you guys can come up with sufficient dough (get it?) I'll be happy to visit sales in Singapore and the factory in Shanghai and to personally find out if 48 hub motors are actually available since they can be run at 48 volts and 10 amps to provide 720 watts of power and remain within the law. You would not like me to tell you what I think might be going on if I based my answer on local laundry mats, restaurants, flea markets and at least one online computer memory outlet located in Anaheim, CA 92802.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 04:49:49 AM »
 OK then, why is their a 48 volt regen controller available for the 36 volt kit?? ???

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 05:17:35 AM »
 ??? Is it listed already??? I haven't looked.  :o

The 48 volts regen controller is not necessarily intended for use with a stock Golden HBS-36 hub motor but rather a modified HBS-36 motor or another hub motor since I assume it includes reverse and a phase sequence analysis routine like the 36 volt regen controller. I can't say for sure until Philip sends me a sample, but if it is already listed then I guess there is not much point.

Offline Mel in HI

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »
Ok, I guess I was mistaken in thinking that the site listed only 1 regen controller, the site lists
"Available: 24v/300w 36v/500w 48v/800w".  Of course I thought that 48v would be good since it would mate easily to two batteries per side of the wheel, whereas I would have a weight distribution problem with 3 batteries, two on one side, one on the other. 

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »
ALL of my tests with battery mounting indicate the location above the rear tire is best. Why? On a bike you need quick response to handle road hazards. Ironically a low center of gravity afforded by either side or center triangle mount gives you too much stability to be agile.

Offline Mel in HI

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:57:53 AM »
See, that's where I need to ask these dumb questions...   I would have thought a more stable bike would have been better.  Now you are saying the opposite with a good reason. 

BTW, since they haven't responded to my email, do you know of any other method of contacting them to get an order in?

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 03:24:42 AM »
  You could try Raul at Perfecteam in Oakland,CA. His prices are a little higher but he does respond to emails, otherwise keep trying sales@goldenmotor.com  . Good Luck  :)