Author Topic: Converting Hub Motor from 24v to 36v  (Read 8506 times)

Offline Filipo

Converting Hub Motor from 24v to 36v
« on: September 08, 2007, 05:15:05 PM »
Before I discovered Golden Motor, I purchased a Chinese-made front hub motor from a Canadian distributor on EBay. It works well but I find it rather slow and with not enough torque to climb moderate hills. I would like to convert it to a 36 volt unit, but the dealer is unable to help me. I wonder if the hub motor and the wiring for the 24 and 36 volt units are the same, and its just a matter of upgrading to a 36 volt controller. The hub motor I bought bears the trademark "Skyhawk" and physically looks the same as the Golden Motor hub. Does Golden Motor have a 24v to 36v controller upgrade kit, and will it work with the Skyhawk version? Is the wire harness color-coding the same and interchangeable or plug-compatible? Thanks for any help.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Converting Hub Motor from 24v to 36v
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 06:22:38 PM »
 Do you have any documentation such as an owners manual, motor/controller schematic?  ???

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Converting Hub Motor from 24V to 36v
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 07:43:22 PM »
There is an instructable at How to Convert a 24V scooter to 36V - Dirty Method I glanced at but never read.

Without technical specifications (no. of poles, number of parallel winding strands and the strand size, number of turns, etc.) from an owner's manual, you could either provide us with the voltage readings obtained using the following method or open the motor and take the physical measurements to obtain the technical specifications.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 07:51:28 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 07:52:35 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Skyhawk-24-volt-250-Watt-Electric-bicycle-wheel-BNI_W0QQitemZ150158396489QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2904QQcmdZViewItem

It is the controller that determines the voltage more than the motor. The battery protection shut off voltage, the FETs ability to handle the higher voltage, and having a battery charger for 36 volts.

With a cheap hub motor and controller that doesn't perform as you like, I would put 36 volts on it and see what happens. Just don't ruin your  batteries by discharging them below 70% of rated voltage.

The ebay advertisement above does have 36 and 48 volt upgrades for $25 during original purchase.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 10:15:03 PM »
How long ago did you buy the Wheel? On the Ebay Auction AD, it states satifaction guaranteed , why won't the dealer work with you to satisfy you? If you have to purchase a new controller, or exchange the one that came with the kit would be reasonable.