Author Topic: Front wheel motor hub spacers  (Read 8958 times)

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Front wheel motor hub spacers
« on: September 08, 2007, 02:38:09 AM »
I had to add 5 washers to the axle of the front wheel Goldenmotor hub I purchased to make it fit the fork width. I was checking the fork width of the two bikes I own and both measure about 3.75 inches wide. I have read where others have received rear motors with different length spacers and I am curious to hear if the bikes I own have unique front fork widths or if the hub motor I received had unusual spacers. Thanks.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Front wheel motor hub spacers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 05:29:10 AM »
  I don't Know, but I will soon find out since I recieved my motor this week. (funny thing, it looks like a crystalight 406 without the high price)  Humm I wonder.....  ;D

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:11:19 AM »
Do you mean it has Crystalyte embossed on the side cover? More quality control problems at the factory.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 06:24:18 AM »
How do your measurements compare with those on this drawing?

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 07:38:31 AM »
My hub is 85 mm or 3.346 inches wide but the spacer extends beyond the hub less than the thickness of a washer. In the illustration in your post the spacers, shown in bluish green, extend much farther out than the spacers on my hub.

The flanged part of the spacer on my hub rubbed against the side covers on the motor until I enlarged the openings around the axle on the side covers.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 02:16:03 PM »
I am more and more concerned that the quality control issues being reported are typical of items which fall outside the first standard deviation (-1? to 1?) and in an effort to bring them within a single standard deviation the items have been repaired using parts that likewise fall outside the first standard deviation of a quality control normal distribution, resulting in what is commonly known as a factory second.

Fortunately there do not seem to be a high percent of items that can not be repaired. As reported by Dave it appears that spacers can be machined from standard pipe to overcome spacer length issues. If the source of items is indeed factory seconds then these issues will continue as well as a need for this site.

So long as this is not covered up or hidden from buyers then I have no problem with it as the basis of a business plan. If this is either hidden or covered up or not supported by low price then I would expect a declination and possibly a termination of sales.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:30:17 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 06:00:32 PM »
    The reason I made the comment on the motor is that there is no markings, writing of any kind on the motor, It has stamped steel sides just like the competition and if I put my own label on it, 95% of people( +-3 std dev) would/could not tell which one is the real thing (golden motor). 

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 07:26:10 PM »

The reason I made the comment on the motor is that there is no markings, writing of any kind on the motor, It has stamped steel sides just like the competition and if I put my own label on it, 95% of people( +-3 std dev) would/could not tell which one is the real thing (golden motor). 

Can you provide pictures?

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »
  I will try to take a few pictures and forward them directly to you MEB. I have not assembled to kit yet but when I do, I will post pics. As I previously mentioned, the hub looks great!  :)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 11:00:15 PM »
Except for the old motors I have not seen any Golden's with steel covers.