Author Topic: BikeE Recumbent Front Wheel Hub Available?  (Read 14871 times)

Offline Filipo

BikeE Recumbent Front Wheel Hub Available?
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »
I have a BikeE AT XL recumbent and I'm interested in mounting a front hub wheel kit on its 16" diameter wheel. I'm wondering if Golden Motors has such a kit. I would prefer a kit that is complete and ready to install, including battery wire baskets, shifters, controller, charger, etc. since I don't have the tools or know-how to custom-equip an existing BikeE.

Thanks for any info.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: BikeE Recumbent Front Wheel Hub Available?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »
Yes, Golden does sell a 16" front wheel kit for the same price as the 26" kit. Just send an email to sales@goldenmotor.com specifically telling Philip Yao that you want to purchase the 16" front wheel kit. However, be aware that you may not only need help from this forum but from a friend with basic mechanical and electrical knowledge. This might also help.

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »
I have electrified a BikeE and you can find the post on it in this forum.

I would check to see what the rpm of the 16" Goldenmotor hub is before you buy. If it rotates at the same speed as a hub motor for a 26 inch wheel you won't be going anywhere very fast. The Goldenmotor hub motor I have on my 20 inch wheeled bike will just get to 16 mph with fully charged batteries.

You will need to lengthen the cables of a Goldenmotor kit if you plan on putting the batteries and controller in the bag behind the seat on a BikeE.

A BikeE At with its suspension cannot use a normal bicycle rear rack that connects to the rear wheel near the axle because of the suspension movement and the frame extending above the rear wheel.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 02:01:54 AM »
  It might take some creativity to make a rack to fit. Nothing is impossible but it can get very expensive.

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 02:29:59 AM »
Easiest would be to get one of those plastic milk crates and tie it to the back rest of the seat and let it sit on the rear of the frame. The throttle cable would need to be at least 70 inches long and the motor power/hall effect cable will need to be 60 inches long (as measured on my bike). MEB can probably say how long the cables actually are, mine are coiled up under the controller so I don't know for sure.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:15:04 PM »
 Great Idea! the milk crate, aka the "carry all" of the bicycle world.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 07:50:34 PM »
The phase power lead, sensor output and power supply cable is supposed to be 5 ft. but then even inexpensive light bulbs are still suppose to last longer than a week... ::)

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »
 Point made, but how can he make an extension? ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »
Splice in whatever length of 14AWG hookup wire for each the phase power lead and 20AWG for the sensor output and 5 volt power supply leads. Splicing allows you to preserve the existing connector but if you are capable and electrically and mechanically inclined then you can replace the whole cable instead of doing a splice.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 10:18:35 PM »
 Where can you get the connectors, and pins from? ???

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 12:36:33 AM »
If you cut the cable in half and splice in the hookup wire then the connector will still be on the end. Since I switch controllers and motors every day it is necessary to have the connector that comes with the kit but you can use other styles of connectors and Euro style terminal connectors from Radio Shack to do the splice.

12-position european-style terminal strips

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:17:53 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 02:03:17 AM »
   Some how I forget about  Radio Shack untill I have exhausted all of my other sources!!  ;D

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 03:27:20 AM »
Some how I forget about Radio Shack untill I have exhausted all of my other sources!!  ;D

They may not have matching connectors for making an extension though; the ones Golden used are kind of oddball. Splicing is your best bet (as long as you make your connections properly. (Here is some good info on splicing. Make sure you cover the bare wire with some heatshrink tubing or a few wraps of electrical tape after making the splices.)

About the only way to get a cleaner install is to pull new wires from the hub, either reusing the old connectors or replacing them with new or different ones from RS.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 04:52:18 AM »
    In that case, check out appliance repair stores, A/C repair because they carry replacement pins and connectors.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic