Author Topic: New member with a few questions  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Phelix

• Confirmed
New member with a few questions
« on: April 04, 2015, 02:28:40 AM »
Can you please confirm my account so that I can post??

I just received my kit today. I ordered the Magic Pie 4 on the 26" rim. I looked at the rim and its only 1.5. The smallest tube and tire that I am able to find at the stores is 26x2.0 or 1.75 and up. I am just curious why the rim is so thin? Am I missing something here? Do I have to make a special order? I couldn't even find a bicycle that had a 26" rim with such a thin tire unless it was for like a ten speed tire. Will that rim fit with a 26"1.75 tire and tube?? OR do I have to make some type of a special order from somewhere on the internet to find that size? And I am going to have a much thinner tire on the back than in the front?? Will that be ok too?

Offline Phelix

• Confirmed
Re: New member with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:18:02 AM »
I just received a Golden Motors Magic Pie IV and I also bought a 48v 15ah lifepo4  battery from china one of those big blue ones. I wired up the power connector that came with it. The lifepo4 battery has a blue and red wire. and the GM wires has a black and red. I wired it up so the 2 red wires would connect in the plug. Once I had it both plugs wired up properly and tried to plug it in, it created a gigantic spark and melted the metal inside the plugs. So I figured that it must have been reversed and I swapped them around and tried it again and they melted and created a huge spark again!! Anyone have any idea what in the world could be happening!?!?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New member with a few questions
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
I just received my kit today. I ordered the Magic Pie 4 on the 26" rim. I looked at the rim and its only 1.5. The smallest tube and tire that I am able to find at the stores is 26x2.0 or 1.75 and up. I am just curious why the rim is so thin? Am I missing something here? Do I have to make a special order? I couldn't even find a bicycle that had a 26" rim with such a thin tire unless it was for like a ten speed tire. Will that rim fit with a 26"1.75 tire and tube?? OR do I have to make some type of a special order from somewhere on the internet to find that size? And I am going to have a much thinner tire on the back than in the front?? Will that be ok too?

Hi andto the forum Phelix.

Although the rims are narrow, they will accomodate wider tyres. I have some wide 26" x 2.35" tyres on mine and they fit nicely on the narrow rim.

I just received a Golden Motors Magic Pie IV and I also bought a 48v 15ah lifepo4  battery from china one of those big blue ones. I wired up the power connector that came with it. The lifepo4 battery has a blue and red wire. and the GM wires has a black and red. I wired it up so the 2 red wires would connect in the plug. Once I had it both plugs wired up properly and tried to plug it in, it created a gigantic spark and melted the metal inside the plugs. So I figured that it must have been reversed and I swapped them around and tried it again and they melted and created a huge spark again!! Anyone have any idea what in the world could be happening!?!?

If the battery has been connected with reversed polarity it could have permanently damaged the controller causing a short circuit on the power leads. This would explain the big spark when the battery was reconnected correctly.

First you will need to use a suitable voltmeter to determine the correct polarity of your battery leads and then mark them clearly to ensure that you don't make the same mistake again.

When connecting the battery, a loud obvious spark is quite normal, but a Gigantic spark that melts the connectors is not.

I have already experienced the amount of power delivered by a small 5Ah LiPo pack without a BMS or fuse to limit it:

And I can confirm that a direct short can generate a lot of heat in a fraction of a second. ;)

Do you know what the maximum current of your battery's BMS is?

Please let us know the what the polarity of your battery leads actually is (which colour is positive and which is negative) as this could prevent someone else from making the same mistake if they are coloured incorrectly.

If the red lead on the battery is positive, it is possible that the controller may have been faulty and caused the gigantic spark and melted the terminals in the first place.

Whatever the cause, the controller will need to be replaced if it is now shorted internally. :(

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:01:57 PM by Bikemad »