Author Topic: New member introduction  (Read 5027 times)

Offline AdamB

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
New member introduction
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »
Hello everyone;

I'm new here & to e-bike building but I'm not particularly new to creating/ designing/ building various things...

Actually, I designed/constructed my 1st personal vehicle (a sort of go kart) when I was 8/9ish! I am always doing things differently & finding/taking what appears to be the hardest, most difficult/ unusual & seemingly impossible route!

A perfect example is that I've been told so frequently to not/stop re-inventing the wheel; that eventually I actually went ahead & re-invented the wheel! I am not going to go into exactly how I re-invented the wheel but suffice to say that in the coming years, the world will all be using my new wheel design (but since this post/current project doesn't involve that, I'll leave that there)!

I am not saying this to brag/show off... I mention this to show that I am not completely inexperienced & always do things differently then most! It'll likely do no good to appeal to my lazy side, I exhausted it into submission ages ago;) Of course, I want to be certain to learn not just from my own experiences/mistakes, but also to learn from others experience/mistakes!

Thus I am here, googling, reading this & other forums, etc; unfortunately the nature of this current project is so novel, that I simply can't get all the info I need just from those avenues! I'm hoping that those here will be willing to help me out with your knowledge & experience...

I guess it would be helpful if I explained a bit more of what I am trying to achieve/do... To start with, I need a power wheelchair w/ a unique set of characteristics...

Up until I was hit by a car a few years back, my needs were met by a fairly stock power wheelchair... But after the hit & run, my needs became far more extensive.

Initially I had hoped that my needs could still be met by a commercially available power chair... However after significant effort & time; its become abundantly clear that it is not possible!

So I started considering my options; there are custom wheelchair manufacturers but even they are still starting with insufficient/outdated tech.

Ironically I've read a bunch here complaining about how speeds of +20km/hr is too slow (& while I can certainly empathize), I have to say that they don't know what slow is...

Currently the fastest powerchair available is still only 8mph! However the vast majority don't go faster then 5km/hr & many even slower... The current power chair I have is only 3km/hr & the defective chair I got initially after the hit & run could only go about 1.5-2km/hr at the best of times despite supposedly being a 8mph chair!!!

At those speeds, even a geriatric disabled snail would make fun such a chair!!! Even my service dogs hated those chairs since it meant they can't even go at a slow walking pace without having to stop every few steps to wait for me to catch up!!! The worst part has to be that I haven't been able to exercise my service dogs since the hit & run!

Now I do know that golden motor has a wheelchair version but if I am going to the effort of building a custom chair, then I don't want to be restricted to such ridiculous speeds!

Before I go too much further, let me explain that at anything over running pace (for short spurts) & trotting pace generally... Will mean that the dog will ride on the chair, not walk/run beside it! The chair is being designed explicitly so he can do so!

Also, (despite, Gary's ignorance), there's no safety issue turning at high speeds because chairs only actually turn via reversing 1 wheel & forward on the other when at a standstill... The rest of the time, it merely relatively reduces the speed slightly on the side your turning to & can do as sharp or gentle a turn as desired!

Don't get me wrong, I am not angry, upset or hateful towards Gary, I just know he's out to lunch in this matter! I know he's quite knowledgeable in most issues, its just this issue, that he obviously didn't know what he was talking about! He probably got the idea by seeing chairs doing extremely tight 360° turns & wheelies! Yet such is only possible from a dead stop! While chair designs in general & my design in particular, is capable of "turning on a dime", I certainly won't be doing that or any other inappropriate maneuvers, regardless of any potential ability to do so! I have no desire to be hurt in another crash!

Also despite my extreme physical injuries/limitations, I have retained my emotional/mental abilities! I can recognize & handle danger, common sense/idiocy, etc... There is simply no need to protect me from myself by ridiculously hobbled speeds! I am capable of adjusting my speed as appropriate based on whatever situation I am in!

For example despite being able to go 8mph in my old chair, I certainly never went that fast indoors where precision/ care/torque is more important then speed! Just because people are fools or incompetent, doesn't mean the rest of us should be hobbled! Otherwise the same can be said of e-bikes, cars, motorcycles, etc. & then they'll limit your speed to 10mph, etc. since idiots will try stupid things with those too! Besides, its not hard for the provider to program such limitations into the software as need on a case by case basis for those incapable of handling such speed instead of limiting everyone! I don't need protection from myself, I need protection from those seeking to "protect" me!

As I mentioned previously, I now have extremely severe physical limitations; so I will be unable to do the actual build myself. At this point in time, I am planning to hire a reputable custom chopper shop to build my design for me. So actual construction & build quality/safety isn't an issue. Regardless of what's built, it will be designed/constructed with safety as the #1 priority!

I know that this probably sounds crazy expensive but powerchairs typically cost over $20,000 & the type I need costs more twice that commercially! I am in a lawsuit right now to get a refund from the defective chair I got initially after being hit; so once that's done, I'll have at least $50,000+ to spend on this project! I figure I can build 1 hell of a e-bike type powerchair for $50,000+!

With all this in mind, let's get onto the actual design! Also, please keep in mind that I am new to this field, if I am wrong or make a mistake, please feel free to point it out! I won't be upset or rude, I'll actually be very grateful/thankful!!! My knowledge of other manufacturers apart from GM is quite limited, so I'll need help ID'ing the best component choices... If you think there's a better component choice; by all means, please speak up! With all of your help, I know we can design & I can build the best powerchair possible that will finally meet my needs!

Specifically my needs are,

Extremely stable on all planes;

Perfect (or as near to as possible) suspension (any vibration causes me severe pain);

Variable high speed hub motors capable of anything from 0km/hr to max speed (at least 20km/hr); as well as forward/reverse, regen braking, disk brakes (waterproof, at least water resistant but I want to use it as a shower chair);

2 Physical parking/emergency brakes;

4 manual wheel locks (1 per corner);

3 personal emergency wearable kill switch;

4 press emergency service dog kill switches (1 per corner);

Weight limit of at least 600lbs including safety margins;

Adjustable aerodynamic base/lower roll cage that can triple in length (from 3' to 6' & to 9' by using collapsible/extending nesting titanium tubes) & 2' wide;

Adjustable chamfered (10° to 15° w/ higher degree needed if 4 center wheels are used but only 2 are needed at that moment) center wheels that are located under the chair;

Removable/ adjustable aerodynamic upper roll cage that can triple in length (from 3' to 6' & to 9' by using collapsible/extending nesting titanium pipes);

6 individual removable/ adjustable roll up (like retractable awnings) cover panels made from heavy weight cuben fiber & clear plastic (1 top & 2 upper side/back/front & 2 lower side/back/front panels) to enclose chair;

Key switches I can use w/ key removed (1 per battery, controls, controllers, motors, main power & charger) so I can lock it in functional & disabled modes, then leave it knowing it can't be stolen;

4 Built in, flip out, spring loaded "U" locks (1 per side);

Ideally I'ld like to use a thumb joystick for drive controls w/ optional axillary sip'n puff controls & a combination of switches, buttons & touch for the rest;

Powder Coated Enamel Black paint w/ extreme light reflecting nano glass topcoat on paintable surfaces;

6 cycle computers (1 per wheel) for monitoring;

Reflective coated spokes;

Solid silicone gel custom washers between all connections;

Controllers capable of operating 2 or 4 wheels & specifically allow either side to be separately & jointly controlled (so either wheel can be forced at independent speeds &/or forward/reverse), ideally also able to operate in 24V, 36V, 48V, 72V (& 60V, 84V, 96V if possible) & be able to easily switch between any at will;

12 LiFePo4 48V 30A batteries w/ multiple potential variable series/parallel connections & mechanical switches to enable the various power settings (also a main charging connection system to allow all to be charge simultaneously) (Yes, its a lot but actually not that much relatively, 360A but I had 280A SLAs on my old chair & only got 80km:( ;

Custom sliding tray & waterproof battery rack (under seat & behind chair);

Removable floorboards for extended mode;

2 Inflatable chairs for extended mode;

Capable of climbing a 24" curb;

Ideally capable of climbing most stairs;

Seating system

Adjustable seat height/ elevation (at least 48");

Min 225° Infinite position backrest recline from seated (0°) to laying down flat (+90°) to bent over slightly (+135°) to folded down against seat for storage/transport (-90°) & everything in between;

Min 180° infinity position tilt in space, between fully vertical ("standing": -90°) to horizontal ("seated": 0°) to tilted ("zero gravity": +38°) to effectively standing on my head ("transferring": +90°) & everything in between;

Min 310°/90° dual (joint/separate) infinite position seat placement, between typical seated (0°) to floor transfer (-155°) to rear transfers(+155°) & left side transfers (-45°) to seated (0°) to right side transfer (+45°): & everything in between;

2 Min 180°/200°/200° triple (joint/separate) infinite position flip away & removable leg/foot-rests: foot/ankle- front toe stretch (+90°) to seated (0°) to rear toe stretch (-110°); & lower leg/knee- from crouched (-90°) to seated (0°) to flat (+90°); & upper leg/hip- backwards hip stretch (-20°) flat 0° to seated (90°) to knee in chest stretch (+180°);

2 universally adjustable removable waterfall type arm rests w/ Line Loc "gooseneck" attachments & flip away/removable tabletops/desks;

1 universally adjustable removable combo "U" neck & headrests w/ Line Loc "gooseneck" attachments;

1 universally adjustable removable sun visor w/ Line Loc "gooseneck" attachments;

2 universally adjustable, de-attachable combo controller/ display mounts w/ Line Loc "gooseneck" attachments;

2 universally adjustable, de-attachable combo tablet/phone mounts w/ Line Loc "gooseneck" attachments;

8 Built in removable, adjustable shiatsu/ rolling/ vibrating/ heat dual node massage tracks in back;

4 Built in removable, adjustable shiatsu/ rolling/ vibrating/ heat dual node massage tracks in seat;

2 Built in removable, adjustable shiatsu/ rolling/ vibrating/ heat dual node massage tracks in head/neck rest;

8 Built in removable, adjustable shiatsu/ rolling/ vibrating/ heat node massage tracks in leg-rest (4 per leg-rest);

1 flip away & removable foot massager as footplate;

Various customized RoHo cushions w/ black merino lambskin covers & gel inserts;

Solid silicone gel custom washers between all connections;

A custom titanium hammock seat, back, leg/foot-rests, head/neck-rest & arm-rest frames w/ rigid inserts & inflatable adjustment bladders;

6 collapsible/ removable cup holders;

2 collapsible/ removable Oxygen Tank holders;

2 extendable/collapsible & removable double I.V. Poles;

100 collapsible & removable umbrella holders (good for more then umbrellas);

Car seat back organizer;

2 backrest canes;

Gator strap load attachment system;

Wheelchair transportation securement system;

4 point adjustable seat belt & 5 point adjustable shoulder belt w/ only cobra buckles;

2 under arm-rest expandable pouches;

Under seat gear hammock;

2 refillable air horns (1 per armrest);

12 suspension springs (2 per wheel) w/ carbon fiber axles (acts as leaf spring) for individual wheel suspension;

1 magnetic hydraulic electronic adjustable shock;

6 variable pneumatic triple extension suspension (1 per wheel);

Hybrid pneumatic foam motorcycle/dirt bike tires w/ puncture proof liners;

2 3' LED glow strips (1 per leg/foot-rest);
4 LED dual red/white light dual corner (90° bend) panels (1 per corner);

2 adjustable super bright adjustable position LED spotlights (1 either side shoulders) w/ Line Loc "gooseneck" attachment;

4 mono speakers (1 per corner);

2 stereo speakers (1 either side shoulders);

1 MP3 player (Sansa clip+);

Dual Controls- master & attendant controls (1 in lap & 1 behind back);

Dual secondary touchscreen displays- master & attendant displays (1 in lap & 1 behind back);

Function as a remote for other technologies/systems;

Ideally bluetooth & headset capable;

All terrain features:

2 (1 winter/1 all season) sets of extra wide, large, puncture resistant tires w/ repeating, square, directional, tread;

Set of adjustable tracks that interlock w/ tread & wrap around either 2 or 3 wheels on each side/track;

2 sets of skis that interlock w/ tread, hook on to frame & covers either rear 2 wheels per side/ski or just the front wheel per side/ski;

Considering adding tiny hub motors that free wheel easily to the corner caster wheels for optional all/6/4/2 wheel drive by switching between locked in 1 position, free turning or controlled direction as needed (I'ld then need a controller/controls for another 4 motors);

So to start with, the overall design/shape starts out with what's known as a "6 wheeled powerchair". If you don't know what that is, check out this link ( http://www.themobilityaidscentre.co.uk/product/91/pride-quantum-1650/ );

However my design uses larger (min 12"/700C), wider (min 2"/3") wheels w/ the middle/2nd wheel under seat & chamfered.

It'll also be far faster, longer lasting, more efficient, lighter, nimbler, technologically superior in all aspects w/ far better seating, safety, reliability, suspension, functionality, etc!

The simple benefit of not needing ramps, elevators, structure changes to ensure accessibility will be truly revolutionary for the disabled...

The simple truth is regardless of what may be wished or fought for, its never going to be possible to make the entire world accessible! In some places its an unreasonable expectation!

By making it capable of these things, I effectively ensure that the disabled person can go just about anywhere an able person can! All in a package that can go/fit just about anywhere & do just about anything!!!

Clearly I am passionate about my project/baby! As I said, I know it won't be cheap... batteries alone will be $12,000+...

Yet the simpler reality is apart from 12 for batteries, 1-2 for motors, 2-3 for misc accessories, 6-7 for seating (possibly free) & 5 for build/raw material; is still only $26,000 to $29,000! So I am not very worried about cost at this point... Things can double & still be ok!

It would be sweet if I can do all this w/ an open source android app that it'll let me programme my own controls & run 8 motors individually or jointly by cruise control &/or joystick!

I don't even mind paying 1 of the older smarter members who can build what I am describing from a controller/ controls/ software stand point!

Please understand, its not that I don't want to build my own system; it's that I no longer am physically capable of building things myself! I used to happily do my own builds & completely customized my original chair, myself. However my head, neck, back, shoulders, hip, leg & ankle were severely injured by the hit & run! I have not been able to do anything since then... The only way I will get this made is with other people's help!

So yeah, I am open to any suggestions within reason... I am looking at Gary's stuff but today I looked for some batteries & it was almost empty!?! What happened? Can I no longer get large batteries from him?

I guess I'll leave it here for now; sorry for the length, I have never been good at brevity... Hopefully this post/reply & thread will prove I am not a spammer & allow me access to the rest of the forum...

Adam

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
Hi Adam,

I am a retired engineer, and like your desire to change your life challanges

It sounds like your situation is pretty severe.  However, your wish list needs to be prioritized.  For instance,  is it more important to be able to climb a 24" step, or to be able to make it 3,6,9 ft long? Why must it climb a 24" step? Would it work just fine if it could only climb a 9" step?  Why does it need to be variable length?  Is that feature needed or only desired?    What do you absolutely need?  What do you want, but not actually need?  Are there some things that are included just because they would be kind of cool, but not needed to affect your life?  Do you really need 12 batteries, each capable of being configured for a bunch of different voltages?  What are you going to use that feature for? What does it accomplish that makes your life better? 

Please do some more thinking about your project.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 12:53:18 PM »
http://www.store.revolectrix.com
one option for batteries