Author Topic: Needed.nut size and pitch and cure for damaged axle thread. MPII  (Read 9357 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Needed..... Nut size and thread pitch of Magic Pie II  rear motor nut and axle.

I have crossed or stripped part of my pie axle which has also damaged the nut.  What's best to fix the axle?  And can I get a an ebay link or other link to the correct flanged nuts.

Cheers

Andrew :)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Needed.nut size and pitch and cure for damaged axle thread. MPII
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »
Update.....    I last looked at the axle and nut at 1.30am last night after roughly building a wheel for the pie.  This was after 5 cans of scrumpy jacks cider.  I have looked again today with better light and vision and have managed to fix the axle thread with a very thin file.  It is just the nut which has stripped.

So can anyone direct me to a replacement flanged nut with same diameter and thread pitch?

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
I have since found a previous conversation on this topic and the pitches do differ from 1.5 to 1.25.  I will measure a 10 mm section and countthe rings.   I think I may have even bought 1.5's in the pastandthey would notthread on.

There yo are,,,   I answered all my own posts and found a solution.   Am I  the only user ln the forum??.   Lol

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:58:27 AM »
M14 nuts are available with several different pitches including 1.0, 1.25, 1.5 and 2.0.
I suggest you check out this post and then measure the exact pitch of your axle's thread to ensure you purchase the correct nuts.

Alan

Hi Andew,

A thread pitch gauge is the best way to confirm the exact pitch of a thread:

But not many people have access to one of these. :(

Measuring the distance over ten threads (between 11 crests) should be accurate enough as shown here:

If yours is 15mm it will be a 1.5mm pitch, in which case these should fit:
M14 x 1.5 flange nuts on eBay.

But if yours only measures 12.5mm across ten threads it will be a 1.25mm pitch as per the link in your earlier post.

Alan
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:00:11 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
Typical, I have measured things completely wrong :-[ 

The thread is 1.5 pitch after all   According to your measurements.  I have now ordered nuts in both sizes(dooh!) , I hope at least on size fits.  8)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:45:28 PM by Andrew »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »
Andrew,

Both of those links relate to radius or taper seat wheel nuts, which are not really suitable as they would need to be machined flat similar to these taper seat locking nuts before they could be used:

You might be able to find some of these car wheel nuts in the correct size at your local scrap yard which could simply be fitted backwards with the taper end on the outside:

This would provide a larger surface contact area to spread the load when tightened, whilst also allowing a ring spanner or socket to easily fit over the tapered end.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:37:29 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
Arh,  ok, sorry for posting wrong information. I actually received the m14 x 1.5 pitch flange nuts today and they are the same design and size as the pie ones, and most importantly they fit the pie axle thread.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »

Andrew, are they a better fit than the original ones supplied with the wheel?

I bought some M14 1.5 'half nuts' and they didn't fit.

Do you have another motor with a different pitch axle thread or could it be that the actual pitch of the nuts was incorrectly described as 1.5mm?

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »
The half nuts ( I think) after looking at them in the last two days may actually be 2.0mm pitch. I bought them some time ago not knowing anything at all about differing threads.   

The new m14 x 1.5 nuts are a little loose(side to side wobble), I suggest a squirt of thread lock on the axle, though I have put them on without.  In fact  i  only used one new nut and used one original.......     It's a complex thing making e-bike builds.  I am currently having the usual rear motor disc brake fitment problem.   I have to grind down the calliper fitment adaptor and also mess around changing the amount of disc spacers.   I always only have a mm to play with in getting everything in the right place to avoid rubbing by discs or calliper on motor or adaptor on disc or disc on pad,,,,,  rant over!