Author Topic: Magic Pie three harness wiring  (Read 5327 times)

Offline niceguysteve

• Confirmed
Magic Pie three harness wiring
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:28:48 PM »
  Which colour wire is which in the MPIII eight pin cable  ?
  My MPIII throttle gave out when it's way to short wire
got pulled out. Not having much luck connecting a
 MPII throttle ,cruise and brakes . I already had to splice additional length
into the 8pin cable as it was not long enough for my tandem.
  How do I check with tester for the plus 5v wire ?
  Are there any other simple checks to determine which wire is which
and/or if controller is fine ?
    I tried matching the red ,white and black wires to those on a working throttle
but no result ...
 thx steve

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie three harness wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:56:02 AM »
Hi Steve, I don't know what colour wires are used in the eight pin cable but here's a diagram that should show where the ends of them connect, assuming it's wired internally the same as mine:

To check the +5V supply, put the black probe from your meter onto the battery negative (-) connection and set your meter to a DC volt range that is high enough to measure your battery voltage, just in case you touch the battery positive (+) wire by mistake, and then use a pin or paper-clip held against the red meter probe to gently touch the +5V contact inside the 8 pin socket. Don't push the paper-clip/pin right in, because it could open up the metal contact too far, resulting in a very loose and poor connection when the correct plug is inserted again.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:33:47 PM by Bikemad »

Offline niceguysteve

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:58:32 AM »
Hello Bikemad ;much thanks for your reply which helped to determine that the controller is the problem so should be installing a new one in a few days thx steve

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 02:44:03 AM »
Another top notch diagram Alan!

I have not been in the forum much lately. Recent events some may have noticed brought me back out of necessity. Very busy time of year and I miss coming here. Really this is where I really enjoy my free time online.

Anyway I see I have missed out on a lot of things. I see a lot of new people have joined. That's always great!

But as I was saying I think you need a section in the user guide for diagrams you have sourced or created. It would be great for browsing and help full to many I am sure.

Gary