Author Topic: Andrew's Dual Drive Magic Pie Project  (Read 36864 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Andrew's Dual Drive Magic Pie Project
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
Huh? Lol use what suggestion?

I'm not even sure what a cider drink is like, is that like Strongbow?? Haha forgive my ignorance

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »
Huh? Lol use what suggestion?

MM, take a peek above your avatar and you'll see. ;)

I'm not even sure what a cider drink is like, is that like Strongbow?? Haha forgive my ignorance

Yes, Strongbow is cider.

Cider is made from apple juice which has yeast (and sometimes sugar) added to it and is then allowed to ferment in a warm environment for several months before being decanted and bottled.

Some ciders can be surprisingly strong and should not be consumed in large quantities if you wish to remain upright!
Wild deer become intoxicated if they eat too many rotten apples.

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
I've never read cider being described so eloquently  :D

A better description would have been "the champagne of the streets".

monkey, as Alan will know, it comes in many guises,  'scrumpy Cider' being the most best loved and traditional cider, seen by many with lesser palettes as the roughest kind of cider. ;)  
Ingredients wise, the most involvement of apples, and the least involvement off additives and fizz the better.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »
hehe, as I read this, im drinking Rich's farmhouse cider, from somerset....a county with a rich history of small scale cider brewing

7.5% ABV....truly im going to need a new controller for my liver soon

www.richscider.co.uk

Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 08:21:24 PM »
"Wassailing with mangled Wurzels"  as advertised on your link says it all, say no more :D

Ginge, thanks for the help setting up my second pie. I haven't fired it up yet as I need to have the the rim changed on the motor, but hopefully in a couple of days I will get to test drive

Andrew :)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
Lol okay I'll keep that avatar title thanks Alan
And again, top info!! Cheers I'm clear as cider now :D

Oh > Andrew + Gingey you guys need an intervention or something!! haha

And I take it you have been putting off your MP build due to thirst Andrew??

Make sure you ride your dual drive sober okay :P

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 02:32:37 AM »
Hey how did I become Super Gary? I didn't do that. Is this your work Alan? I don't see any options to change it in my profile. How about "Super G" instead?

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 02:38:59 AM »

Hey how did I become Super Gary? I didn't do that. Is this your work Alan? I don't see any options to change it in my profile. How about "Super G" instead?

Is that better Gary?

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 08:09:31 AM »
Haha I think I called you Gazza once and you didn't seem to like it ;)
Either way all the names are in compliment !!

Wha't the news anyway Super G ?

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
i can't speak on behalf of Super G, but I know he's sleeping better now that my front pie from him is up and running.  Yes, you've heard it here first,, I am now in the DUAL PIE club ;D  

POWER - The amount of torque from both pies running is really impressive. Hill climbing is now real hill climbing power.  taking off now has to be a fairly gentle throttle movement, otherwise the front get light and there can be a touch of wheel spin up front.   The bike is now much much better balanced. the front really was way too light and made the bike awkward to move around.

I'm quite proud that I put it together myself and have done so in a neat and discrete way.  I'm even prouder that I was patient during the process, and as always there are small problems to get past and tweaks and fabrications to make in a mechanical sense. I feel I have come a long way since purchasing my first ever e-bike kit back in october.  
Functionally and aesthetically there have been many modifications made to my bike to tailor it to my prefered needs, and now it has all finally come together.

Anyway, did I mention power?   It's strong! i'm very impressed by the amount of power that is generated from both PIE's by just using the one 48v GM battery. less throttle is needed to maintain power/torque on hills.  Infact I may have put in a limiting switch.

i have not taken a speed reading yet with GPS, it feels faster, I suspect about 27mph rather than 23mph.

Anyway, did I mention power? It's pretty damn Awesome. it pulls like a train!

I will try and get some photos up soon detailing all modifications, changes, and cable locating i've made.

Andrew ;D  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:03:18 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »

Is that better Gary?

Alan

Haha, Yes thank You Alan!

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:12 PM »
i can't speak on behalf of Super G, but I know he's sleeping better now that my front pie from him is up and running.  Yes, you've heard it here first,, I am now in the DUAL PIE club ;D  

POWER - The amount of torque from both pies running is really impressive. Hill climbing is now real hill climbing power.  taking off now has to be a fairly gentle throttle movement, otherwise the front get light and there can be a touch of wheel spin up front.   The bike is now much much better balanced. the front really was way too light and made the bike awkward to move around.

I'm quite proud that I put it together myself and have done so in a neat and discrete way.  I'm even prouder that I was patient during the process, and as always there are small problems to get past and tweaks and fabrications to make in a mechanical sense. I feel I have come a long way since purchasing my first ever e-bike kit back in october.  
Functionally and aesthetically there have been many modifications made to my bike to tailor it to my prefered needs, and now it has all finally come together.

Anyway, did I mention power?   It's strong! i'm very impressed by the amount of power that is generated from both PIE's by just using the one 48v GM battery. less throttle is needed to maintain power/torque on hills.  Infact I may have put in a limiting switch.

i have not taken a speed reading yet with GPS, it feels faster, I suspect about 27mph rather than 23mph.

Anyway, did I mention power? It's pretty damn Awesome. it pulls like a train!

I will try and get some photos up soon detailing all modifications, changes, and cable locating i've made.

Andrew ;D  

WooHoo! I demand pictures!

I think you will find it will go futher per charge too!
Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04:39 AM »
Awesome welcome to the club !!

LOL

I think you forgot to mention about the power :P Hehe glad you're grinning up large there Super Cider ;)

Yes pics would be a treat

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
bike before piedum......

Over a dozen hose clips,100 cable ties, and a lot of frustrating moments later..........

front pie and hydraulic brake caliper and rotor...

rear pie and stainless steel torque arm......

brake levers, gear shifters removed, four led lights.....

(sorry blurred) - changed to a twist shifter for rear derailer, it is actually upside down as it is usually mounted on the right hand sid of the handle bar(numbers are upside down).

larger front chain ring (48 tooth), the largest I could find for a 4 bolt crank arm....

All surplus cables, connectors, wireness from both pie cables inside frame bag and sealed in a water proof plastic bag......

two pie power cables soldered to one Anderson connector, both cable fitted tightly through the rubber connector cover......

All wiring running neatly across top frame.....

FAT 26" x 2.35" Schwalbe 'Crazy Bob' tyres,   better than the schwalbe 'big apple' balloon tyres previously tried, the balloon effect suspension becomes completely redundant when tyres are pumped to 40psi.

rear brake caliper, caliper mount bracket needed some filing for the caliper to have space between itself and pie hub.....

7 speed DNP freewheel with rare 11 tooth end cog.. see here for more detail http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2788.0

Bespoke GM 48v battery cover with an eyelet I punched in for key entry........

Finally, Bike fully loaded with bags and battery.......

I hope you've enjoyed looking, please ask any questions

Regards

Andrew :)

Big fat tyre once again,.....Phwoar!    The Dogs B*ll*cks!  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:35:40 PM by Andrew »

Offline T5T

• Confirmed
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
Andrew

Very nice build and a clean look , you have done a very nice job there Andrew... ;D