Author Topic: 7 Speed Freewheel with 11 tooth cog for Magic Pie. (A How To guide) :-))  (Read 30386 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
most people probably run a Shimano 6 speed freewheel on their PIE. If like me you want to pedal at top speed then you may be wishing you had that extra small 11 tooth cog on the freewheel.

I've successfully done it and this is with my Hydraulic disc brake set-up too and my 26" X 2.35 fat road tyres. All this on a standard 135mm rear mountain bike axle ;D

Remember, that once done you will need to adjust your rear derailer and probably have to change to a 7 speed gear shifter.

I hope this helps if you decide that you need that extra gear for pedalling when at full speed.

Andrew :)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 12:09:03 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: 7 Speed Freewheel with 11 tooth cog for Magic Pie. (A How To guide) :-))
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »
isn't there an cog with 11 tooth that is 6 speed?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »
Not that I've seen, I think even 12t is rare on a 6spd.

Hey Awesome work Andrew!! Great stuff you took some pics and posted it up, I was thinking with the washers - was cool but have you got some holding your axle in the dropouts now? I'm sure it's tight, but you don't want all that hard work you've done to 'spin' on you!

The guy at my local bicycle store is possibly the most unhelpful person alive lol, I'm sure there are many others that may have a suitable axle spacer. I had a quick squiz at this page: http://www.bicyclepartswholesale.com.au/contents/en-us/d65.html and there may be something there for a quick solution.

Good stuff, I'll pick up one of those now I'm sure it will fit :) I just received my linear stepper motor I'm building into the rear frame for an electronic gear change should be fun to see if I can get working

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »

Due to the way the freewheel mechanism works, getting one with a smaller cog than 14 or 13 is rare. the 11 cog freewheel as far as I know only exists with the DNP Epoch as pictured above. I got it fron a US company and they inject it with grease using a special tool so it is silent and does not click loudly like the shimano freewheel.

and of course, please do not confuse a threaded freewheel with the modern splined cassettes which you usually find on modern bikes

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »

Monkey, Yes don't worry, I have torque washers in place , infact I have custom made ones which have blocks on them which wedge into the dropout space and are jammed in
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 10:43:31 PM by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:47:13 PM »
The biggest pain in the Ar$e has been the disc brake set. They have crap quality allen/hex bolts and after just a couple of adjustments the bolt heads have rounded.  The brake calipers have caused me more headache than anything else

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »
Also, I have found it impossible to find 14mm ID washers with a less than 25mm OD.  Trying to find a washer the same diameter and shape as the PIE axle is non existant as far as I know in the UK

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:20:05 AM »
Also, I have found it impossible to find 14mm ID washers with a less than 25mm OD.  Trying to find a washer the same diameter and shape as the PIE axle is non existant as far as I know in the UK

I've just discoveed that many car 'oil sump washers' have a 14mm inner diameter and less than 25mm outer. :)

So if you can spare one torque washer to go inside the DNP freewheel and line up with the axle shape, then a few sump plug washers could be used to fill out the rest of the internal space

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »
lol andrew you will never look at a washer the same again will you ;)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:01:46 PM »
lol andrew you will never look at a washer the same again will you ;)

Now when I look at clouds all I see are different size n shape of washers and spacers :D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »

I've just discoveed that many car 'oil sump washers' have a 14mm inner diameter and less than 25mm outer. :)

So if you can spare one torque washer to go inside the DNP freewheel and line up with the axle shape, then a few sump plug washers could be used to fill out the rest of the internal space

Thank You for that! I have looked around and the best thing I found were lock washers. These are surprizingly stong. But a true washer would certainly be stronger.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
Nice post Andrew!

Instructions and good pictures, good stuff!

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:41 PM »
Nice post Andrew!

Instructions and good pictures, good stuff!

Gary

No worries, it's something to do during these dark nights.   The best washers i've found are aluminium sump plug washers that are 14mm ID and 20mm OD........ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270661455664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Probably  best to avoid copper sump plug washers as they are more crushable and will oxidize
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:49:49 PM by Andrew »

Offline ezbikin

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »
     You might consider lubricating freewheels with oil rather than grease. Grease can cause pawls to stick resulting in poor operation. Nice job on the installation work-around!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »
nice tyres, are those schwalbe big apples ? and if they are, thoughts

ive been using schwalbe marathon kevlars. great but could use a little more test$%cle insulation if you know what I mean ;)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute