Author Topic: Got New Pie Today  (Read 19890 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Got New Pie Today
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »
HI. I got my Magic Pie today. Quick delivery. I do however have a few complaints. The tube valve barely fits through the hole and there is nothing I can do about it. That's because the rim is re enforced, instead of being wider it's longer. My pump will NOT fit on the valve. I will have to try find on of the old style hand pumps to try screw the extension up on the valve. I tried to pull it down and burst the first tube I tried.

Also the brake disk fits perfect only the calliper rubs off the hub, it's a hydraulic calliper. Is there any way I can make the calliper fit? and if it means spacers washers etc, why is not an option when ordering? I can accept and tolerate having to provide my own sprocket, but it should be made known when ordering that it isn't supplied!

The connections should have some sort of weather proof box to hide them in, I think it would look well and complete what otherwise seems to be a good quality package. As I say they are few complaints but ones that really are a pain in the ass. I won't be able to test it for a week or two yet until the battery comes. I will be looking forward to that!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Disc spacing for hydraulic calliper
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:54:17 AM »

If you can find an inner tube with a schrader valve, you should find it will fit much better.

You will need to space the disc further away from the hub to give clearance for the hydraulic calliper. This can be done by fitting either a single purpose made spacer (like the centre piece cut from and old brake disc) or you can use separate washers on each of the bolts, but the washers must be identical, as described in Fitting the freewheel and brake disc.

Check out this post for more details on the spacing required to accommodate a hydraulic brake calliper.

Alan

Offline rossasaurus

• Confirmed
Re: Got New Pie Today
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:56:11 AM »
Scorpioni,
Can't tell for sure, but looks as though you got a MP with the radial spoke lacing?
Hope to hear how it does for you, how strong it turns out to be.
What are you putting it on?

Ross

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New spoke arrangement
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
Ross,

None of the Magic Pies are supplied by GM with radial lacing, but some of the more recent Pies have been fitted with a revised motor ring to allow correct centring of the rim. These new motor rings also incorporate a modified spoke fixing layout, which allows the angle of the spokes (from perpendicular) to be more like those found on standard wheels with conventional hubs:

Click on images for more details.

I'm really impressed at how quickly GM have been able to implement these changes into production following our feedback and suggestions.
These improved Magic Pies now ensure that the rim can be centred correctly within the frame/forks and they will hopefully be much more durable too.

Time will tell! ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:21:29 AM by Bikemad »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Disc spacing for hydraulic calliper
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:30:02 AM »

If you can find an inner tube with a schrader valve, you should find it will fit much better.

You will need to space the disc further away from the hub to give clearance for the hydraulic calliper. This can be done by fitting either a single purpose made spacer (like the centre piece cut from and old brake disc) or you can use separate washers on each of the bolts, but the washers must be identical, as described in Fitting the freewheel and brake disc.

Check out this post for more details on the spacing required to accommodate a hydraulic brake calliper.

Alan

Hi BikeMad I had a tube with a schrader valve, same problem, doesn't stick out enough for the pump to be able to grab on. I got an old style hand pump from a neighbour last night and I managed to be able to pump it up, because it has a smaller tip on the old pump. I hope you can see in the picture what I'm talking about. The old pump is not able to pump to the required pressure.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
Scorpioni,
Can't tell for sure, but looks as though you got a MP with the radial spoke lacing?
Hope to hear how it does for you, how strong it turns out to be.
What are you putting it on?

Ross

Hi Rossasaurus. I have no Idea about spokes lol, but maybe you can tell from the pic?
the bike is a Carrera Kraken. I got it from Halfords, and I think it's one of their own brands. It's a good  quality bike. I decided not to get a rear suspension bike because the last one I had was not very stable or designed for such use. The more expensive bikes are much more stable, but at a price, and you can't mount a rack other than seat post and I don't trust them with the weight of a 20amp LiFeP04.

Offline windego

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
From the instruction.

Please Note:the above shims should not be used for spacing a brake disc which bolts directly to the hub on the Magic Pie.
The brake disc must have a suitable flat surface area where it contacts the hub to ensure it can be correctly tightened without causing any distortion of the disc.

Can someone explain what is meant by the second part. My disk brake is bolts directly but I am really tight agianst the hub. Can I use individual washers?
Stan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Disc spacers
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »

Please Note:the above shims should not be used for spacing a brake disc which bolts directly to the hub on the Magic Pie.
The brake disc must have a suitable flat surface area where it contacts the hub to ensure it can be correctly tightened without causing any distortion of the disc.

My brake is bolts directly but I am really tight against the hub. Can I use individual washers?

Stan, I was basically trying to deter people from using the freewheel spacer washers as disc spacers, as they are not suitable for this purpose.  Individual washers will be fine provided they are all the same thickness to prevent the disc from running out of line. If you need to use two or more washers on each bolt to give extra spacing, it might be easier to stick them together using grease (or perhaps superglue) to help keep them in place while you line the bolts up.

Hopefully the attachment below will help.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:30:59 PM by Bikemad »

Offline windego

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »
Alan
Thanks for the prompt reply. The original instructions were not clear me. I will get 2 washers on each I think. The mechanical disk brake I have has a adjuster on the hub side that is too close.

Cheers
Stan
 :)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 10:00:11 PM »

Hello Scorpion , ih ad the same problem with the valve stem just like the Thousands of people they have sold these to .. And I dealt with it like a bunch of them did I'm sure ... Went to the auto parts store and bought a set of metal valve extensions for my schrader valve type stem ... Works perfectly ...

If you are in the USA I will send you one of the extensions . I have 3 extra here somewhere .. Just P.M. me your address ..

I wish I had one of the new style ones like you do .. These Bike kits are so cool ...work so good ... You should be real happy with it when you start using it ..

I hope you can enjoy this "Magic" Pie ... Take Care ... Don J.

HI. I got my Magic Pie today. Quick delivery. I do however have a few complaints. The tube valve barely fits through the hole and there is nothing I can do about it. That's because the rim is re enforced, instead of being wider it's longer. My pump will NOT fit on the valve. I will have to try find on of the old style hand pumps to try screw the extension up on the valve. I tried to pull it down and burst the first tube I tried.

Also the brake disk fits perfect only the calliper rubs off the hub, it's a hydraulic calliper. Is there any way I can make the calliper fit? and if it means spacers washers etc, why is not an option when ordering? I can accept and tolerate having to provide my own sprocket, but it should be made known when ordering that it isn't supplied!

The connections should have some sort of weather proof box to hide them in, I think it would look well and complete what otherwise seems to be a good quality package. As I say they are few complaints but ones that really are a pain in the ass. I won't be able to test it for a week or two yet until the battery comes. I will be looking forward to that!

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 11:26:49 PM »

Hello Scorpion , ih ad the same problem with the valve stem just like the Thousands of people they have sold these to .. And I dealt with it like a bunch of them did I'm sure ... Went to the auto parts store and bought a set of metal valve extensions for my schrader valve type stem ... Works perfectly ...

If you are in the USA I will send you one of the extensions . I have 3 extra here somewhere .. Just P.M. me your address ..

I wish I had one of the new style ones like you do .. These Bike kits are so cool ...work so good ... You should be real happy with it when you start using it ..

I hope you can enjoy this "Magic" Pie ... Take Care ... Don J.

Hi Don, thanks for that. That really helped a lot. I live in Ireland so thanks for the offer of postage. But at least I know what to look out for now.

I really can't wait to take her for a spin, but all in good time.

Take care.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:45:25 PM by Bikemad »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »
LMAO how did my post end up in the quote?  ???  ::)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »

All sorted now.
Who do we know that could have overwritten the [/quote] command?

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:28:46 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New spoke pattern
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
I have no Idea about spokes lol, but maybe you can tell from the pic?

That spoke pattern looks remarkably similar to my original CAD drawing. ;)

Alan

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »

All sorted now.
Who do we know that could have overwritten the
command?

Alan

[/quote]

Hi Allen, Do I have you to thank for the edit? lol. Oh thanks for the washers on the disk info. worked perfect! I have everything installed now and waiting for Mr. Ping to send my battery. Oh and I need to find a valve extension. Tanks for that info Don!

Oh by the way, has anyone noticed that the cables for the throttle, cruise etc were about a mile too long for a pie installation???  ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:30:04 PM by Bikemad »