Author Topic: Swapping regen brake switch  (Read 5166 times)

Offline fherbold

Swapping regen brake switch
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »

I like the regen brakes but wanting the ability to feather my brake without activating the brake, so I disconnected just the back brake.  That when when I want regen brakes I apply the front brake and when just feathering apply the back brake.   I wouldn't mind having also trying the regen brake connected to the accessory button on the throttle, but when I tried connecting that switch with the regen lead, the motor would only go backwards.   Is there a way to connect the regen lead to the accessory button on the throttle

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Swapping regen brake switch
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:38:35 AM »
Hi Fherbold,

There are three simple ways in which you can use your switch on the throttle to control regen:

• Wire it in series with the brake switches.
    (This would disable regen completely when the switch is out, but would allow it to work with the brakes as normal when the switch is pressed in.)

• Wire it in parallel with the brake switches.
    (This would allow regen braking without touching the brakes in addition to the normal regen with the brakes, but this will not disable the regen.)

• Wire it instead of the brake switches.
    (This would give totally independent regen, but I would not recommend it)

If you do decide to use it in parallel with, or instead of the brake switches, I would strongly advise using a horn type switch (rather than the push on, push off throttle switch).

Please bear in mind that if you suddenly need to stop without warning, you will instinctively grab the brakes without having time to think about pressing a separate switch.
If the regen is turned off, it will be absolutely useless during emergency braking.

My advice would be to ignore the throttle switch and simply rewire the two brake switches so they are connected in series instead of parallel.
When wired like this, the regen will only work when both brakes are applied together. This way you can use either the front or back brake independently without the regen cutting in, but when you do need to stop quickly, it will automatically be there to assist you. ;)

Alan

Be Warned:
If your controller has a separate regen switch lead (Not the reverse lead) and you connect it to the button on the throttle, you should be able to switch the regen on or off within the controller, whilst still retaining the power breaking safety function of the brakes.
You should not operate the regen on/off switch while the bike is in motion, as it has been mentioned somewhere on this forum that doing so can actually damage the controller.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:01:48 AM by Bikemad »

Offline fherbold

Re: Swapping regen brake switch
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 04:45:52 PM »

thats a really good idea, connecting the brakes in series, gives you the best of both.....thanks