Author Topic: NONE G/M battery, can I still use the anti theft device? & how????  (Read 8626 times)

Offline alsline

• Confirmed
  • older than dirt
I use a ping  battery but would like to take advantage of the alarm system on the new controller, the way my bike is setup is fuse straight out of the battery to an on/off switch, cycle analyst inline to the controller. My electrical knowledge is minimal red to red black to black lol you get the idea, anyone have a simple sollution?? stay safe-------Alsline.

Offline wayne3109

• Confirmed
Re: NONE G/M battery, can I still use the anti theft device? & how????
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »
I would also like an answer to this question which I have asked in 2 posts of my own - as yet to be answered...

Offline Helgeo

• Confirmed
  • Norwegian eBiker
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »
There is no difference between GM batteries or other batteries related to the alarm function. The key on the GM battery cuts all power to the controller.

The original wire harness  has a red jumper wire between battery + and the "G" terminal on the controller.
If only the battery + is powered, the alarm is active.

So to have a functional alarm, a key switch should be connected in line with this jumper, breaking the jumper but keeping the rest of the controller powered will activate the alarm.

Ideally we should have a 3 position key switch with the following options:
  • Run: Both batt+ and "G" terminal powered, not possible to remove key
  • Alarm: Batt+ powered, "G" not powered, possible to remove key
  • Off: Everything unpowered, possible to remove key

An ignition switch for a car might work, then the park position could be used for alarm mode. Most likely the switch would not handle the high currents very well, so a relay may be needed.

PS! I have not wired the alarm on my bike yet, so there is a slight chance that the above is not entirely correct  ;)

Helge
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:39:52 PM by Helgeo »

Offline wayne3109

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:31:21 AM »
That's what I thought would be the case...  Thanks for the info it now makes more sense...  :-)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »
Interesting topic! I have not yet figured out how to get the alarm to work. I have all gm products, Are you saying I heed to add a jumper between the + from the battery to the green plug on the controller for it to work?

Gary

Offline Helgeo

• Confirmed
  • Norwegian eBiker
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:09:49 AM »
Gary,
The jumper is already there. What you need to do is to install a switch that can break the connection of this jumper while keeping the rest of the controller powered.

Helge

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »
Helge,
Now I am confused. I have a complete GM kit with an EV battery with keyswitch. Is there any additional wiring I need to do as the alarm still does not seem to work? Also I seem to need to push the cruise button twice to get it to work. Is something miswired there?

Gary

Offline Helgeo

• Confirmed
  • Norwegian eBiker
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »
Gary,
You will have to make your own wiring similar to the one I described in my first post in this thread. The switch in the GM battery does not activate the alarm, it simply switches the battery on or off.

The controller has an alarm function, but it is bypassed when using the wiring that comes with a kit from GM.

The wiring harness connected to the GM controller has two red wires going from the battery + terminal to the controller, one thick to the "+" terminal on the controller and one thin to the "G" terminal on the controller.

For the alarm to be active there must be battery power on the thick wire at the same time as the thin wire is not connected.

Hope this clarifies it.

Helge